Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [31.25]Strokewound- starwound without the crashes!  (Read 1234 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
[31.25]Strokewound- starwound without the crashes!
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:54:36 am »

Yes, the name was actually randomly generated.

Anyway, I've been sick of getting constant crashes with starwound, along with the slimelands mod in general. Maybe some day I'll go back to it, but for now, I'm making this fort with a mod I know doesn't crash: fortress defense. Along with a few modifications like multiplying the goblin/frogmen sieges by 5 and adding longswords to dwarves. The story is mainly from the point of view of Urist Wheelstrumpets, starting from his birth. It's been going on for a year or two of quietness before that though, not much has happened. Ask if you want a dwarf.

Current list of dwarves:
Cheveux (weaponsmith)
Dsarker (doctor/armorer)
Katana (military commander)

1st Hematite

5th Hematite

Loud noises down below. Screaming...

OOC: damn, was planning to capture that helmet snake to begin a helmet snake army

8 Malachite

More screaming... And crying.
OOC: damn, that guy was head of charcoal making and engraving.

Katana's diary
9 Malachite
DAMNIT! HOW COULD I LET SOMEBODY DIE! Stupid wildlife. That giant bat just flew in and decided to attack all of us for no reason! The caverns we just found are dangerous... Everything spotted will be killed on sight for now to be safe, and some cage traps and a door are being set up.
It's strange how we haven't been attacked by any invaders. All the mountainhomes were already destroyed, only one was left. Yet nothing's attacking us... Weird. We're getting ready anyway. Dsarker and Cheveux have been making loads of stuff to practice, and we've ended up with quite a few masterpieces from both.

AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.25]Strokewound- starwound without the crashes!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »

I like how I didn't even had to ask for a dwarf.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »

@Cheveux, ikr

Katana's Diary
4 Sandstone
Just thinking about making a giant wall around the place, so we can concentrate all defenses on one point and possibly use siege engines and that stuff. I'll need to see what everyone else says. Right now everyone lives in a tiny 15x15 urist tower. Then again, I'm not sure who's actually able to design such a huge structure, Cheveux is an adequate architect though, maybe I could ask him about it. Meanwhile, we've found another level in the caverns (to seal up).

13 Timber
ézum the miner ran up the fortress screaming.

"MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Deconstruct the forges. We've got some moving to do.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »

Can i have a dorf pwease?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49:52 pm »

Any preferences?

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »

Dwarf me up.
Name: Tod Cool
Profession:Hammerdwarf
Bio: Hes so cool he can kill dragon with his hands 8).
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »

What dragon  8)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:56 pm »

Ast, mechanic/farmer (claim me as a dorf!)
What started as a normal day lead to being chased by multiple savage humanoids. A pretty normal day, really. But it isn't fun. In fact, it's painful. When the caverns give us troglodytes, we don't run away! We make the caverns take the troglodytes back! What are we meant to do with troglodytes? I'll make the caverns regret the day they gave me troglodytes! Do you know who I am? I'm the engineer (and uhm farmer) that'll tear apart all cavern wildlife! With armed troglodytes! I'll tame and train the troglodytes you gave me and get my revenge!

5 minutes later

Uh-huh. Katana says no enslaving the troglodytes. Damn. I'll just make some pointy object tied together randomly with mechanisms instead. Cheveux, can we get 20 iron serrated discs please? Thanks.

(Side note: feel free to write segments like these if you have a character, you can basically ask to get something made and it'll be replied to in the story)

Dobar, "miner" (claim me as a dorf!)
I don't believe it. When I came here, I planned to mine. I was already accomplished. I had mined platinum before getting here. I even brought my own pick! But NO. Instead I have to chop trees and operate the furnaces. At least I got to do some trading. They had lots of metal.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:01:12 pm by katana »

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »

I'll take Ast then.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

ézum, miner (claim me as a dorf!)
Recently received orders to go and mine out some of the adamantine. Cheveux wants to make stuff, and Katana wants the military to have non-wooden weapons. Meanwhile, apparently there's no more copper left for them to practice on. I'll just mine out some of the huge deposits of limonite we seem to have. There's plenty more, but we can't make steel without flux, so we'll probably have to import that later on. Dsarker's using the iron we currently have to make some armor, which everyone seems to be happy with.
... I wish my life was more interesting like Firelordsky's. He gets to actually build death traps and stuff, while all I do is get stuff for other people to work with. I heard the old forges are being converted into leather and clothworking areas. Katana's saying stuff about plans for a huge "arena" by the entrance, and I'm being told to build a huge circle because of this. It sounds interesting, but I can't really see what it'll be... yet.

Cilob, swordsmaster (claim me as a dorf!)
Katana's talking about a new, huge, barracks.

Firelordsky, mechanic/farmer

DAMNIT! CHEVEUX! MORE POINTY OBJECTS! THIS TIME MAKE THEM GIANT AXE BLADES!

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »

Ill take Cilob, swordsmaster If i dont already have a dwarf.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:14 am »

@coolnesstod I just made plans for Cilob right after writing that. Taken ézum, the other swordsmaster (militia captain).

'Katana', swordsmaster
5 Obsidian
The design is pissing me off. I'm rebuilding the barracks thing. East: barracks, west: warehouse. This will really put us behind schedule, which could mean an invasion before completion. We had a slight helmet snake incident, already taken care of.  Oh and a cave crocodile too, firelordsky will be happy to know his pointy objects tore up the thing before we had a chance.

Enemies will arrive to the far east with a large tunnel forcing them to go in one direction, guarded with siege engines and marksmen. Anyone who makes it close enough will be attacked by the melee soldiers. At least, that's the plan.

Firelordsky, crazed engineer/farmer
DIE ELK BIRDS DIE!

Ah I love those traps. But we need more. Our butcher guy seems pretty happy with this, he's chopping up the mangled remains of whatever I kill. Meanwhile, katana's plans seem pretty cool. I wonder if we could add some traps or something to it. Oh look, the elves have arrived. Katana hates elves, so he orders their execution every year. Yet they always come for some reason.
I was just thinking of invaders. They haven't come yet, but they really sound scary. There are stories of giant spiders that will spit webs and kill even the best axedwarf easily... Giants hundreds of times our size... Winged creatures that wouldn't stop even if you cut off every limb... Are these stories lies? Then why's there only one mountainhome left.

Some time in summer, year 5
Meanwhile, Urist had grown to be a child.

I finally get to go free! No more being carried around! Right now everyone's talking about Katana's plans for the defenses. I don't even know why we need defenses, haven't seen anything dangerous up on the surface, although I heard about a guy that died a few months after I was born. That was in the caverns though, nothing to do with up here where all the fortifications are being made. Meanwhile, I keep hearing firelordsky screaming "YES! THE TRAPS! THEY WORK!".

I went down to the caverns where the traps are, and found mutilated corpses everywhere. Apparently there were more, but these were only the intelligent creatures that we were not permitted to touch.  It's not really nice to think about. I wonder why they come to us though. Maybe they want to kill us, like what happened to that wood burner or something.

My mother was being told to make leather hoods and cloaks, for armor apparently. Why's that needed when we already have iron plate armor? Katana's saying it's to be safe, apparently.
"You've only ever killed elves! How do you know so much?" I asked.
"Since I got here I've only killed elves," He answers.

What's that meant to mean?

"You know, I always wondered what I should be when I grow up," I said to myself.
"If you grow up," wait what. Oh, that was Tom Cool or something, that swordsdwarf, standing behind me.
"What's that meant to mean?"
"You might not live to 12 years. I know a lot that never did. Snatchers, ambushes, careless mothers in the military, it's all likely to kill you sooner or later."
"Well that's... nice?"
That guy worries me. Meanwhile,

Ah those stupid elk birds. Might as well call them elf birds. Oh right, the humans arrived. I've seen humans before, they're tall and don't have beards.
"Are we going to kill them like the elves?" I asked Katana.
"No, why would we do that?"
"Why do we kill elves?"
"Elves are annoying."
"Is that all?"
"They hate us using wood, yet bring wood to trade with us."
"Aaaand that lets them kill us?"
"Oh and they never helped us when we were attacked by the goblins. Yet they act like we're allies and send caravans."
"Now that's a better reason."
"Plus, humans have metal."
Yup, elf birds. They come to the fortress bringing nothing, and in the end after they're dead the best thing we get out of them is a bit more food.
I think I sort of understand why elves are hated. The humans were nice, and they had some nice shiny stuff instead of that wooden junk elves bring to "sell" to us. They also had some interesting weapons. "Whips" they called them? Looked like pieces of rope, but all the military says they're probably even more dangerous than axes and hammers.

"Any time now. I'm sure of it." Katana warned. I wonder what he's talking about.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 11:09:24 am »

can i haz speardwarf :3
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »

As "Ahra"?

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »

Do you guys have a chief mechanic yet?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...
Pages: [1] 2