Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My accessible depot is inaccessible  (Read 3191 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My accessible depot is inaccessible
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

My depot is accessible according to 'D'.

It's not accessible according to the humans; their wagons just bypassed.

Something is fishy here.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: My accessible depot is inaccessible
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Maybe it's accessible from one side of the map, but not from all sides, and humans  have chosen the worng side to come from?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dorten:
<STRONG>Maybe it's accessible from one side of the map, but not from all sides, and humans have chosen the wrong side to come from?</STRONG>

Not entirely unlikely; but then the message needs to be improved.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

"Some merchants have arrived"

"They were stupid enough to arrive on a cliff several hundred feet above your fort's entrance, and are vain enough to expect you to build a ramp so they can get down"

"They brought cloth"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:12:00 am »

"Accessible according to D" is rather ambiguous. The "accessibility" map originates from the depot, so you should rather say that the map edges are accessible. You should look for where the human caravan originates and cleave a path there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>"Accessible according to D" is rather ambiguous. The "accessibility" map originates from the depot, so you should rather say that the map edges are accessible.</STRONG>

The Depot also has a different color depending on if the W's reach the edge of the map or not.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

When you hit 'D' it reports many things; one of them is "Depot is accessible" if there's a path to the edge of the map.  Which it does, and which there is; it's about 30 smoothed tiles of desert and across a bridge off one end.  It's about 3 map tiles through dense forest to the North edge where they're spawning for some reason (nevermind that the nearest dwarf and human villages are to the South); and they used to spawn right next to the lava pipe, until the forest got too dense there.  My understanding was that the traders would spawn somewhere that had access to the fort, if anywhere did.

I had already decided I wanted to build passages out to the edges so that my traders didn't have to go overland the whole way, but just like with the Big Dig, the schedule slipped.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:00:00 pm »

I am also having this bug.  My depot shows 'Accessible' and there is a clear path to the edge of the map.

Caravans are spawning on the other side of the map (and the other side of the river).

Either 'Depot is Accessible' message needs to be updated to account for how Caravan mechanics actually function, or Caravans aren't spawning where they should.  There are workarounds (namely running a road all the way across the map. My fort is near the edge of the map because that's where the rocks were.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:12 pm »

I had this too. They would spawn on the west even though I had a road running (over a river) to the north edge, and [D] said it was accessible. I thought it might have had something to do with the river.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:44:54 am »

Yep, I got this as well. Doubly irritating becaue I deliberately constructed my fort with only one entry, which goes right to the edge of the map, and building another path would be a lot of work and aesthetically displeasing.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 07:21:10 pm »

often time's a stray tree or boulder will block the path, try building a paved road to the edge of the map 3 tiles wide and make sure its really clear.

If there is only one path from the edge to your depot the wagons WILL only appear there *abused so that the wagons always spawn inside my defenses, and works very well* press the D key again and find out where the non traversable area is.

*helpful tip, if you want to force the issue, and boulders do not line up for you, you can channel to the edge of the map,which is allowed, unlike building constructions.

Sadly the traders still spawn where they want because there are paths to almost every edge of the map that are walkable... I may fix this with obsidian someday

Also make sure there are no statues or hatch covers,lowered floodgates, or stairs (even if they do not have to use them) in the way of your wagons...  There are some other minor gotcha's I think the D overlay misses.

as far as I know, Bridges,brooks,bushes, roads, floor tiles, traps, and the depot itself, are the only tiles a wagon can travel across.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:44:02 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 07:22:19 am »

It seems that the real rule is that they choose an edge of the map to spawn, and then find an accessible tile. So if they're spawning in the west, you can't force them to spawn in the east.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:23:05 am »

It seems that the real rule is that they choose an edge of the map to spawn, and then find an accessible tile. So if they're spawning in the west, you can't force them to spawn in the east.

This appears contrary to forts where I restricted the caravan to appear in a corner of the map it didn't usually appear at via channels, but those are only anecdotal memories from a while ago.

One could simply run a fort for a few years and see if the caravans actually come from all map edges or just one or two to test this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 11:19:15 am »

It seems like every report of this problem has had a river or mountain range or something bisecting the map. It sounds like this happens when the civ in question has access only to one side of that bisecting feature; they can only appear on that side, so if your entrance is on the other side, you'll get the "inaccessible" message even though your depot reaches to the edge of the map.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 07:08:59 am »

Could be, I'll test the accessibility to the other sides of the map I noticed the problem on. In my case it was a river running west->east along the top of my embark area, and caravans wouldn't spawn north of it, even on the west edge of the map, but insisted on spawning on the west edge south of the river instead. If the same happens on the east edge and the south edge is also accessible to them, then we've found out what causes this "bug".
Pages: [1] 2