Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Arena Battles: Civ Forge  (Read 2462 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena Battles: Civ Forge
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:34:11 am »

Based on the original Arena Battles thread from a while ago, and with the permission of Javarock, this thread is essentially (yet) another Arena Battle, but with a few twists, the main one being that these battles will be done using the Civilization Forge modification. The rules and layout in this thread may be quite a bit different than the ones made by Javarock or used by Powder Miner, but it is otherwise mostly the same. Just expect a few odd changes here and there.

What races can I use?
--------------------
There are many sentient races in Civ Forge, but these are the useable ones:
Humans
Elves (normal or High)
Dwarves (normal, chaos, or possessed)
Goblins (normal or Hob-types)
Kobolds (normal, Jawas or zeyphers)
Sand Raiders
Vamarii
Bugbears
Xelics (silver or violet)

How do I get new items or increase skills?
--------------------
You get 5 skill points to spend when first making a character.
You get 10 credits ($) spend on starting equipment.
After combat, if you survive, you gain one skill point to spend on any skill you want.
If you survive, you can either sell your equipment, or sell your opponent's stuff. In either case, you will only get half the item's original cost.
If you wish to keep your armor, but want a better weapon, you can sell your current weapon and take your opponent's.

What are the materials, and what do they cost?
--------------------
There are also a rather large multitude of new materials, but here are eight permitted metals, and their costs:
Copper (cost 1 per item)
Bronze (cost 2 per item)
Iron (cost 3 per item)
Wrought Iron (cost 5 per item)
Steel (cost 6 per item)
Bright Silver (cost 8 per item)
Crucible Steel (cost 10 per item)
Adamant (cost 15 per item)

How does combat work?
--------------------
I do not believe Javarock's Arena Battles thread allowed for animal combat, but Powder Miner has done so. In addition to one-on-one duels and animal fights, I will be allowing squad-on-squad battles. A squad will consist of 9 other copies of one combatant with the exact same skills and gear.

Otherwise, I will announce how the battles go as I type the battle threads. You will have to visualize the battle in your minds.

What if my guy dies?
--------------------
If your combatant is struck down in combat, you will have the option to re-apply for a new person.

How do I deal with a wound?
--------------------
If your person is wounded, you will have two choices:
1) Rough it out; if a bone is broken or you have lost a good deal of blood, you can rough out your wounds and hope they heal with time. Be aware, however, as this may can and will lead to another bloodthirsty combatant wanting to fight you, and the battle will be accepted regardless of your will.
2) Ask for treatment; if a lot of bones are broken or if you have a damaged vital organ, you can receive insanely wonderful treatment. It will heal ALL wounds (including lost limbs!) and you will be healed to the way you were before combat. This comes at a very minor fee (1$), however, and is not usually available to those who have spent all their starting money.

How do I apply?
--------------------
Application is rather quite simple
Code: [Select]
Name: (what you are called)
Race: (what race you are)
Skills: (what your current skills are)
Equipment: (what you are carrying)
Bio: (why you wanted to fight)
Your application does not necessarily have to be in a code box as above.

On regards to armor, if you ask for boots or gauntlets, unlike the previous arena fight threads, I will give a pair of two by default.

Also, please note that every combatant gets a free set of normal clothing consisting of a shirt, a pair of pants, and a pair of gloves. The clothing materials will be: Rope reed for humans, elves and High Elves, pig tail for dwarves, chaos dwarves and possessed dwarves, cave spider silk for goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, leather for sand-people, Jawas, and vamarii, and none for Bugbears, Silver Xelics and Violet Xelics.

FAQ
----------
This is a section for Frequently Asked Questions about other arena fighters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:46:55 pm by UristMcHuman »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Battles: Civ Forge
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:58:37 am »

Name: Yerp
Race: Normal Dwarf
Skills: 5 now 7 Axedwarf
Equipment: Crucible Steel Greataxe
Bio: He was sent to battle in the Arena until his death for insulting the dwarven King while sober.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:16:35 pm by drakon136 »

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:03:24 pm »

Name: Chewie
Race: Kobold
Skills: 3 dodge, 2 sword-kobold
Equipment: Wrought Iron shortsword
Bio: He's hungry.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:13:40 pm »

Name: Sirroco
Race: Dwarf
Skills: All points spent on hammerdwarf
Equipment: Crucible Steel War Hammer
Bio:
The Journal of Sirocco: TWELFTH AND FINAL ENTRY

Hey, diary!!!

I thought I'd take a break from all the carousing to finish my memoirs. All our friends are back at last! Even as I engrave this on the golden gates to Dwarfhalla (I know, it's very cheeky!) Eiba is crying with joy as he tumbles in the grass, surrounded by the souls of all the moles he's ever reared... Icedrake is reading stories to Markus and Leperfish... Jazzimus and Bobthethurd are clinking goblets and laughing about the good times, their mental anguish finally destroyed. Queen Sankis has joined the company of her forefathers and Screaming Idiot is, as I speak, constructing some sort of device for pumping clouds between astral planes.

The only one who's not here is Globofglob, of course... but I've written an appeal for him to be returned to us. I'm sure it was all just some sort of misunderstanding, ha ha ha! Everyone deserves a second chance... oh my, I'd better hurry this up! I haven't got much time. Now the fortress has died we've been told we're... what was it now? Ascending I think? Ascending where? I don't know!!! For all the suffering and horror that the Spawn visited upon us, no dwarf has died in vain. Everything we accomplished has led us to this point, this moment right now... we have met our makers and the glory of our ancestors awaits us.

I don't think I'm ready though. There are other worlds out there I haven't seen... who knows? Incredible as it may sound, there may be a fortress more wondrous than Syrupleaf somewhere... a land more-

---

'Are you going to do that all day?' tehsid grumbled.

'Oh!' Sirocco yelped, jumping up. 'I still need to arrange my sandwiches. These ones are cucumber and THESE are tomato and lettuce, I know you have allergies-'

'Stop jabbering,' tehsid interrupted. 'It's time.' He squinted at the heavenly halls he'd called home these past few years. He'd never really looked at it before... he had to admit, it was very beautiful. It radiated a warm, golden glow. As he looked at the spires and minarets that encrusted its exterior, tehsid couldn't help but notice a certain... suspiciously gazebo-esque theme to the decorative facades. He dismissed the thought and listened. All that could be heard was the hearty laughter of the dwarves as they partied. The tears of the newly-reunited were flowing freely, but they were happy tears. These weren't halls... this was The Fortress... the soul of Syrupleaf. With a sound like a thousand choruses of angels, it rose into the sky and disappeared, embarking on its last journey to the greatest of Mountainhomes.

The two dwarves watched solemnly. 'You didn't have to stay you know,' tehsid said at last. 'You could have gone with them.'

Sirocco swung his backpack over his shoulder and slid Patsy III into his belt. 'One day,' he grinned. 'One day. But today? Today is a day for adventure!'

tehsid laughed, and together they journeyed in a direction impossible to indicate on any map towards adventure. Towards a new life. And the future.
Sirroco decides that this would be a great place for Patsy(the war hammer) to make some friends!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:24:50 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Dyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »

Name: Zorg
Race: Dwarf
Skills: All in swords
Equipment: Two handed crucible steel sword
Bio: Why people stop moving when I poke them?
To quote one of Battlefailed's overseers: "My god, this was a terrible idea." The cow moose is stomping the shit out of Atir, and now Dyg's trying to give him water in the middle of fucking combat!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »

Name: Kogan
Race: Chaos Dwarf
Skill: 5 in mace
Equipment: Bronze targe and bright silver mace
Bio: "I AM CRAZY!"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

Name: Yerp
Race: Normal Dwarf
Skills: 5 Axedwarf
Equipment: Crucible Steel Greataxe
Bio: He was sent to battle in the Arena until his death for insulting the dwarven King while sober.
You are in. Good luck!

Name: Chewie
Race: Kobold
Skills: 3 dodge, 2 sword-kobold
Equipment: Wrought Iron shortsword
Bio: He's hungry.
You are combatant No. 2. Godspeed.

OK. Two combatants in the arena. Here we go!

The battle starts off with the Dwarf Yerp and the Kobold Chewie charging towards each other. Yerp slams the pommel of his axe into Chewie's lower lip, doing no more damage than laying a heavy bruise to it. And Chewie strikes at Yerp, but he parries the blow! And Yerp strikes back, but misses just by an inch. But Yerp strikes again, landing a hack from his heavy axe into Chewie's left forearm, but it merely tears open his fat! And Chewie strikes at Yerp, but Yerp parries the blow yet again. And as Yerp strikes at Chewie, he jumps away from the fearful blow! Chewie attempts to land yet another blow from his deadly shortsword, but Yerp parries again. And Yerp lands a devastating hack on Chewie's left foot, tearing an artery and a sensory nerve! This can't be good for Chewie. And Chewie tries to strike at Yerp, but he parries the blow yet again! Yerp strikes back and hacks Chewie's left upper arm, tearing another artery and severing many nerves! Yerp lands a deadly hack on Chewie's left arm, chopping it off like he would a tree's limb. I can't believe that Chewie STILL hasn't gotten through Yerp's axe, having his blow parried yet again! And Yerp lands a painful-looking scratch on Chewie's right upper arm, tearing open the muscle. Ouch! But even worse is that Yerp hacked Chewie's hand hard enough to sever many more nerves, causing Chewie to drop his shortsword. Things aren't looking so good for this Kobold. Yerp lands another hack on Chewie's lower body, tearing the muscle and exposing his liver! *vomits* Ok, I'm good. But an artery has also been opened, and Chewie's starting to look faint. But he finally manages to breach Yerp's defenses and land a strong latched bite on Yerp's upper body! This is tense. And Yerp lands a hack on Chewie's right foot, but it still seems intact. Chewie manages to shake Yerp around by the upper body, tearing the fat, but Yerp lands a battle-ending hack to Chewie's head, tearing the muscle, destroying the skull and ripping the brain apart! And, after a brief battle, Chewie is gone, struck down, by the might of Yerp's Crucible Steel Greataxe.

Yerp, you may now have the options displayed on the original post.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

Victory! One point in Axedwarf, and I'll sell Chewie's sword.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 01:46:16 pm »

Victory! One point in Axedwarf, and I'll sell Chewie's sword.
OK. Increase your skill number in your profile, and you receive 3$ from selling Chewie's sword.

You've sustained barely any injuries, because you almost always blocked Chewie's shots.

Choose your next opponent.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »

I challenge Kogan. Also, I'd like a leather tunic, leather pants, and leather boots.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »

Name:Zorg
Race:Violet Xelic
Skils: Lashing 5
Equipment: Crucible steel whip
Bio:Was sent here by the Zorg hivemind.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »

Can I play again?

Name:Bitey
Race:Kobold
Skils: Biting 5
Equipment: Crucible steel Helmet
Bio:He's hungry. :D

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »

I challenge Kogan. Also, I'd like a leather tunic, leather pants, and leather boots.
OK. Clothing is free, and if you don't specify the type of boots you want, I'll give you a pair of leather shoes.

Name: Kogan
Race: Chaos Dwarf
Skill: 5 in mace
Equipment: Bronze targe and bright silver mace
Bio: "I AM CRAZY!"
A macedwarf, huh? This could be interesting.

Both combatants are in the Arena. Let the carnage begin!

The fight begins. Yerp on one side of the blood-circle, and Kogan on the other. They charge each other, but Yerp gets the first shot, hacking off Kogan's left foot, and it flies off in a bloody arc! And Yerp goes in for another blow, but his attack is parried by Kogan's mace! Kogan counter-strikes angrily, smashing the head of his heavy mace into Yerp's lower body, inflicting heavy bruising through Yerp's pigskin trousers! And Yerp strikes back, but his shot is parried by Kogan's mace! Kogan counters the attack by biting Yerp in his left foot, actually bruising the muscle through his catskin shoe! He looks as though he has placed a firm grip on that foot. Then Kogan attempts to land a blow on Yerp, but his shot is parried! Yerp yet again strikes back, and the shot--once again-- is parried. But Yerp manages to break Kogan's grip, and Yerp swings, with his shot being parried. Again. Yerp swings again, but this time hits Kogan's right foot, severing a motor nerve. Both dwarves then strike at each other, and both shots are parried. But Yerp lands another hack, this time hitting Kogan's left upper leg, tearing the fat and severing many nerves! And Kogan lands a punch on Yerp's lower body, bruising his spleen through his pigskin trousers! Yerp strikes back but his shot is parried. Kogan counters but his shot is parried too! Kogan strikes again, having his shot parried (again) and Yerp follows suit. Yerp strikes again, with the shot being parried, and Kogan counters, but this time the head of his mace hits Yerp in the left forearm inflicting heavyy bruising on the muscle. And Yerp lands a hard scratch on Kogan's head, tearing the muscle open! The two then try to land a hit three times, with all three shots having been parried. And Yerp brings his axe down at Kogan, but Kogan scrambles out of the way, just before the axe hits the ground with a loud CLANG! Then they try to whack each other, with each shot being parried and leading to a counterattack. After this happens for a while, Yerp finally manages to land a successful blow on Kogan's weapon arm, severing it and it flies off in a bloody arc! Yerp lands another blow on Kogan's left lower leg, tearing the muscle apart, opening an artery and severing several nerves! And after this, Kogan bleeds out, struck down by the might of Yerp's Crucible Steel Greataxe.

Congratulations, Yerp. You have won (again).

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:37:11 pm »

Yerp must die!
EDIT:Then again Yerp spelled backwards =Prey
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »

Wow, no shield bash? Really?

well, here goes another one:
Name:Kagrenac
Race:Chaos Dwarf (yet again)
Skills: all in spear
Equipment: Crucible Steel Spear
Bio: Kobold-on-a-stick, anyone?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3