Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've got an interesting...situatuion here.  (Read 573 times)

sgt0pimienta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I've got an interesting...situatuion here.
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:08:15 am »

OK,so i start a new fortress in a new world,shalow metals,deep metals,and some soil were my specifications,im in a high flat terrain,everything plays out pretty well for the first minut,but then i get cave in alerts,now this doesn't happen naturally really often because i just read an interview about physics before that,and toady said that cave ins in DF 2010 only happen when the structur that colaapses is COMPLETELY disconected from anything,it means,SUSPENDED in the air,but i have had SO MANY cave in alerts that i designated F2 to zoom me back to my z level because all those cave ins are deep underground.

i fear that its an upward chain reaction,and that in about 2 years my  produccion and storage facility will collapse...and then my living quarters and barracks...finally my entrance and farms :(
By:
Bdthemag

Great, now thanks to Bay12 im going to go out and buy an old journal just to write occult information in it and pretend to be insane.[quote

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've got an interesting...situatuion here.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:14:29 am »

Actually, what's happening is that there's a water source draining into a magma pipe somewhere in the caverns.  The cave-ins are from water falling into the middle of the pipe and creating obsidian that isn't attached to anything, which falls to the bottom of the world in a cave-in.  Since the cave-in announcement zooms in on the spot, you now know exactly where said magma pipe is.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:23:51 am »

If there's a bottom in the magma-pipe, this should mean that eventually there'll be an obisidian island in there. When it's 3x3 you can dig a free-standing stairwell down there. It'll be awesome.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

You can disable cave-in game pausing and zooming in:

..\df 31.25\data\init\announcements.txt

Change [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R] to [CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]

Then re-start the game and you should be able to play (with a lower FPS due to the probable water/magma flows.