Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Solo Dwarf Challenge  (Read 958 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Solo Dwarf Challenge
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:57:41 am »

I'm sure a lot of people know about this challenge, made famous by the epic tale, "One Dwarf against the World".  I was thinking of trying this, but I need help from other, much more experienced DFers.  For one thing, how do I kill off the six other dwarves, while sparing my favored dwarf?  Any other tips?  For defense, food, etc? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Dwarf Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:07:47 am »

Runesmith helps for killing.  I tried this myself, and always suffered insanity from loss of friends, and a lot of trouble actually trying to kill them off at all, without killing the desired one.  With Runesmith, you can hack it and just say "ok, you now have trouble breathing" and be done with it.  Otherwise, you're always running a risk trying to get "just enough death".  Alternatively, with some effort, upright spikes can work well.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:49 am »

Dig out a tiny hobbithole and burrow your unlucky six in it. Have Urist build a floor over the down-stairs.

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:16:16 am »

Do what they did in 'One Dwarf againts the World'. Send the other six plant gathering way too close to undead elephants. Alternitively, make them military and send them naked againts a crazily powerful enemy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:24:04 am »

Do what they did in 'One Dwarf againts the World'. Send the other six plant gathering way too close to undead elephants. Alternitively, make them military and send them naked againts a crazily powerful enemy.
Giant Badger.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:28:02 am »

Goblin bowmen will do the trick without problem.... Even in full adamantine armor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 06:28:36 am »

If you're facing goblin bowmen, then all 7 are dead.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:41 am »

I tried it once in 28..40d (though not very successfully)... I just chose the most psychologically stable dwarf (heh, nice oxymoron ;) ) to survive, let the others wall themselves in with some food over a brook. This way, they didn't die all at once but went mad one after the other. I think, having them not die all at once helped a little with keeping the survivor sane. There was the occasional tantrum, but no serious problems.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:06:48 am »

Construct six of these things:

z = 0
Code: [Select]
...u.

z = +1
Code: [Select]
.._d.

_ is a floor, u is a upstairs and d is a downstairs.

Give the dwarf you want to keep any job, then designate all six upstairs to be removed. Since dwarves will always stand to the left of a deconstruction job when possible, the floor tile will cave in and atomsmash the dwarves when the upstairs is removed. Gets rid of their rotting corpses and annoying clothing too, clean and effective. And it involves cave ins!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:39:52 am »

Dig out a little home in the mountain with one bed, farm plot, etc and seal him in with the wagon's contents.  He can keep digging and expanding for anything he needs (say, breaching a cavern to get treefarms going) and any migrants that turn up are stuck twiddling their thumbs outside on the surface.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »

I'd go for a simpler method. The Urist is the only miner, as usual, so you can just have him/her staart their work while the others stand 'guard'. First time anything comes by, send them to their deaths one by one.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.