Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaving a legacy  (Read 1287 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Leaving a legacy
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:36:59 am »

I searched around a bit and couldn't find something related to this, still, my apologies if this has already been suggested.

The basic idea would be to give the ability to somehow "retire" in Fortress mode, and have a real impact on the world. Right now, one of my problems is that whatever you do, you don't really leave a mark on the world. Having Legends mode playable while playing Fortress mode could be a sort of a solution, but I think that having the ability to declare your fort a mountainhome and leave it would be much better.

The way you lead your fort could then impact its later interactions with the world, so if a lot of your dwarfs died it would generally be a bad place, if you generated a lot of trade it might be a prime target for pillages, stuff like that. Of course, there should be a few requirements for this, like the fort reaching its twentieth or so year.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving a legacy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:47 am »

Yeah, I like.

And then 7 Dwarves from this fort could go and make a new one. I'd like to see how my fort is doing after I left it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:46:03 am »

So, what you want is a fortress that can be retired, and then picked up whenever you want?  I like it.  This idea of having in game fortresses affect legends mode is awesome, imagine the sheer amount of wars and enemies you'll make.  Toady might do that already, not sure. 

All in all, support. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:56:02 pm »

Not to be a kill joy but this is planned and theres a few threads about it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »

We also talk about this to some degree in the next (soon to be released) episode of the DF Podcast.

7oady One

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:25:13 pm »

Nice, though there is the really round-a-about DF Hack / DF Fusion / DF Mode way of doing exactly this already. But it's a real mind-bender with all the steps you have to do.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »

It will all be clear when toady adds it which seeing the facted people hacked it into the game should be rather soon.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:27:29 pm »

It's important to remember that right now, basically nothing happens after worldgen aside from events caused by and directly witnessed by the player.  Changing that has to come first, before long-term and wide-ranging impact like this can be considered.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »

It's important to remember that right now, basically nothing happens after worldgen aside from events caused by and directly witnessed by the player.  Changing that has to come first, before long-term and wide-ranging impact like this can be considered.
So, basically, there needs to be a way to pick up worldgen, taking into account what's happened in other game modes, from the deaths of megabeasts to the creation of a new mountainhome, to the death of a civilization's leader (invader or dwarf, either way) or possibly the dwarf-assisted escape of HFS into the world
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.