Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Osu! The Community-Driven Rythym Game!  (Read 4804 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Osu! The Community-Driven Rythym Game!
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:51:20 pm »

Searched around and found that the last thread for Osu! had its' last post 2 years ago, so I'm making a new- and dedicated- thread to this game.

The game(takes you directly to download page) is pretty good, all you really need is a mouse, or, for some of the harder difficulties in a song, you would somewhat need a tablet of sorts, but still very possible with any kind of mouse.

In my opinion, the really cool thing about Osu! is not the songs, but how they are made. Creating difficulties for songs -also known as beatmaps- Can give you a good challenge to do if your hand begins you hurt from all the button mashing and spinning. They are also very Fun to make  as you can make some funny pictures out of a set of combos.

The other thing about beatmaps if that you don't always have to make your own. You can also download other players' beatmaps seperately, or if you have a RAR extraction program(WinRAR or 7-zip), you can also download beatmap packs, this is usually the best idea, as you can only download 3-4 beatmaps in a 5 min timespan, where you can get about 10-12 all at once and beginning to download the next pack without ever waiting.

Osu! also has a multiplayer function, and even in the lobby for the room you joined, you don't have the song the host picked to play, there is a download button which takes you directly to the page of that beatmap and you can download it from there. Osu! automaticly loads all your downloaded beatmaps and prepares them for use.

There are also skins you can download from the Osu! forums. Think of them as texture packs in Minecraft: they change the way everything looks, from all the circles and spinners, to the scoreboard and your mouse icon.

So, I think that covers just about everything.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

DISCUSS!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:36:02 am by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Osu! The Community-Driven Rythym Game!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:31 am »

What I'd like is a version of Rhythm Heaven for the PC. I've played the hell out of Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA, actually broke (well, finished breaking) both shoulder buttons trying to complete the last levels of the drummer challenges.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:26:11 pm »

This is a copy of a game meant for touch screens.

I don't understand how people even complete songs on it using a mouse, it's so hard.

There's plenty of good music though, and I like the "Catch the Fruit" mode.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:07:04 pm »

Oh hey, a thread for a game I already have. How nice.

Back to the game itself, I was considering making a small project for myself. Osu is based of a DS game called Elite Beat Agents (Or the Japanese verion, at least =/) So what I was considering was to put all the songs from EBA into Osu form. Should be interesting, seeing as the easiest song (What I recall to be a rather fast-paced hip-hop song) starts with a two-BAR gap between hit circles.

Also, it apparently helps to turn up the in-game mouse sensitivity. Just sayin'. Also, if you want a good beatmap, search for Don't Stop Me Now. As in the one by Queen. All that's missing from it is a trio of dancing men in suits.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:33 am »

Bump. What, you want post content? Fiiiiiine...

I'm curious as to what the skins are that are used in the screenshots. I recognise the second and third ones to be Elite Beat Osu (The former being modified by the song), but I can't make heads or tails of the others.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:05:32 pm »

Bump. What, you want post content? Fiiiiiine...

I'm curious as to what the skins are that are used in the screenshots. I recognise the second and third ones to be Elite Beat Osu (The former being modified by the song), but I can't make heads or tails of the others.

The first screenshot is Osuroid!. It's a pretty good- and funny- skin. I like it and it's my main skin.

the 4th screenshot is a Kakashi skin that came with Osu! when I updated it.

The 5th screenshot is the Nexus skin. It's a very cool skin, used it for a long time, but the issue was you couldn't tell between whether you got a 300 or 100 since all the numbers were blue.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 04:26:57 pm »

Cool. Updates on the EBA maps-the Elite Beat Agents have turned into the Elite Beat Stickmen, so I can provide some nice artwork and stay in my comfort zone.

The first beatmap itself is quite silly. Breezin' is ranked at 0.42 stars, Cruisin' is ranked at 0.85, and the first few bars of Sweatin' come in at... 4.52. Kirby say whaaaaaaat?

For the record of it, Agent BS1 is Blue, BS2 is Green, BS3 is Red and BS4 and 5 are Black and White.

ALSO, I'm looking for somebody to do a Guest Difficulty for the song. For the record of it, the song is Walkie Talkie Man, and I think we need a more... medium difficulty. Who wants to help?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »

My god, this forum is full of Rhombulons!

...It's an EBA Joke/Bump/Insult.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:22:43 pm »

My god, this forum is full of Rhombulons!

...It's an EBA Joke/Bump/Insult.

PC clone.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »

If it IS a PC clone, then it's the best PC clone plausible. There are countless EBA clones on the DS, but when you port it to a medium in which eveyone can throw in their two cents creation-wise, then give them the tools to do so, THEN make the enire bundle freeware, then we're looking at something truly stronger than the original game.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:47:30 pm »

If it IS a PC clone, then it's the best PC clone plausible. There are countless EBA clones on the DS, but when you port it to a medium in which eveyone can throw in their two cents creation-wise, then give them the tools to do so, THEN make the enire bundle freeware, then we're looking at something truly stronger than the original game.

Ah, I misread your post. I thought you were calling Osu! a EBA Joke/Insult. :P
My apologies.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:40 pm »

In the spirit of creating discussion, here's a good one-Anime Music. While it probably will remain in Osu forever, what I want to know is what people think of it.

Personally, I think it's a hit/miss zone. You either have something that is actually regardable as music (See: Yellow by Hatsune Miku or Hope Given (Dance of the Dog Hounds)) or a load of tripe. Especially when it's insistant on cramming in 100 beats a second in the most annoying sound possible. I'm going to be sticking to good old fashioned English/American Rock/Pop/Similar. And maybe an orchestral.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »

In the spirit of creating discussion, here's a good one-Anime Music. While it probably will remain in Osu forever, what I want to know is what people think of it.

Personally, I think it's a hit/miss zone. You either have something that is actually regardable as music (See: Yellow by Hatsune Miku or Hope Given (Dance of the Dog Hounds)) or a load of tripe. Especially when it's insistant on cramming in 100 beats a second in the most annoying sound possible. I'm going to be sticking to good old fashioned English/American Rock/Pop/Similar. And maybe an orchestral.

Wellll, my whole iPod is filled to the brim with anime and anime soundtracks/openings/closings so I guess that I love it :)

The Hatsune Miku stuff isn't really "anime music", however, it's just made by a Japanese program known as Vocaloid, which is capable of creating musical vocals in the software from recordings of a range of different sounds from an actor's voice. So Miku isn't an anime character or anything, just the code name of that voice in the software.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 04:16:32 pm »

And upon closer inspection, it appears that Hope Given was made by our friends at Square Enix, which means I could assume all the stuff from video games is clear. Toss me something decent from a show, I dare you.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »

And upon closer inspection, it appears that Hope Given was made by our friends at Square Enix, which means I could assume all the stuff from video games is clear. Toss me something decent from a show, I dare you.

Sorario Days, opening of Gurren Lagann, is quite nice.

Also, Aoi Shiori was also an opening on some anime, and is one of my favoritest (it is a word, I tell you!) songs in existence. Very relaxing. I just found the TV length version on Osu!, didn't search for long though (just clicked top Google result) so the full length is most likely on there as well, which I definitely recommend listening to.

Pages: [1] 2