Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exceeding population limit  (Read 1055 times)

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
exceeding population limit
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »

Before genning this world, I edited the d_init to have a population cap of 100 to make my new fortress run more smoothly.  However, I have had 2 immigration waves that have forced me to exceed my 100 dwarves; the first took me from 98 to 109 and this most recent brought me up to 120.  Is there anything I can do or is it just a bug?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: exceeding population limit
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:09:05 pm »

1: This happens.  But it shouldn't go as high as like 150 or anything.  These seem to be quirks concerning certain caps.  50 works, 35 acts like 50.  0 allows 2 waves and no more.  It's not a hard cap, it's more of a suggestion, really.
2: Children have a slightly unrelated cap.  With a cap of 50 and child cap of 10, your fort should reach 60 pop total.  If you have 20 children, this would be it.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »

I have my child cap set to 5 and just got a 3rd child in this migration wave

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 11:13:28 pm »

My pop limit is at 350, I'm at 367 now. Soft limit. Set it down 20 or 30 if you want your max pop to be at your number limit.

But if your fortress starts to lag, get some fortress !!HARDWARE!! or computer ☼Hardware☼ to fix it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:11:34 am »

Yeah I noticed I had a population cap of only 30, but the population got up to 50 anyway through migrants.
I guess it at least fixes the huge waves of 20+ migrants...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:30:07 am »

With a pop cap of 20 (and a child cap of 1000:1000%) I typically have between 25 and 30 fortress residents after 3 years.  The automagic/forced migration waves tend to be 5 to 8 dwarves, and then between zero and four, depending how high above 20 my population currently is at.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"