Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Spoilers] Minesweeper  (Read 3841 times)

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
[Spoilers] Minesweeper
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »

Or Adamantinesweeper, as I call it.
Does anyone else play this with their fortresses sometimes?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:29:21 pm by Harudoku »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers] Minesweeper
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:03:22 pm »

...wat?

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »

...wat?

It's minesweeper, and the hollow segments and magma are the mines.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »

Actually, they're frowny faces with X's for eyes.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »

Nah, that's the dwarves after you make a mistake.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »

There's five of them, and they're all in a single column going down.
That's all.
Seriously.
Like, I'll use printscreen and show you.
If I can figure out how to use it.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:21:48 pm »

If you right click and view image it takes you to a page that says:

The bandwidth are limited for embedding this image now.

I thought they were custom emotes.

To answer your question: I don't usually go after the blue stuff at all.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »

Ah, Gyazo's stupid, I guess. Lesson learned. Hang on, Photobucketuploading

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »

Man I gota' say I was looking forward to see a minesweeper game in Dwarf Fortress. But more to the point I just never really use the stuff to much work when iron and steel works fine in my military with legendary dwarves.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:07:22 pm »

Most older players tend to agree "candy is overpowered".  You get a few scraps of the stuff and your soldiers become immune to everything, light as a feather, and can cut a hole to the center of the earth if they drop their sword blade-down in the grass.  According to the physics, a sword of adamantine would weigh so little and be so sharp, that it would cut through stone be resting atop it.  For a challenge, most older players just stick with steel and dwarf power.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »

Personally, the one time I actually started harvesting the cotton candy sticks I turned it into wafers and let it rust away in its own stockpile.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 01:22:18 am »

Man I gota' say I was looking forward to see a minesweeper game in Dwarf Fortress. But more to the point I just never really use the stuff to much work when iron and steel works fine in my military with legendary dwarves.

Create a minesweeper setup in a fort. Then have someone else reclaim - everything will be obscured again. I vaguely recall there being a utility that re-obscures stuff, if we wanted to be less dwarfy or avoid reclaim-related weirdness. Doable?

Possible setup: Build an otherwise solid wall with a few holes. Put pressure plates in those holes. Make an apocalypse device hooked to those pressure plates that trigger when there's less than 7/7 water or magma on the plate. Game is played by deconstructing sections of the wall. When the wrong one is removed, the fort explodes. I suppose this makes the "mines" occupy a 3x3 area, though. "Number of adjacent mines" could simply be indicated with different wall colors.

Other possible setup: Huge area of levers. Attach a certain number of them to domesday device, the rest to something harmless(no cheating!). This one is easier and therefore less dwarfy, but on the other hand I don't have any experience with pressure plates so I have no idea how I'd go about setting up the former, if it would work at all.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 12:27:45 pm »

Most older players tend to agree "candy is overpowered".  You get a few scraps of the stuff and your soldiers become immune to everything, light as a feather, and can cut a hole to the center of the earth if they drop their sword blade-down in the grass.  According to the physics, a sword of adamantine would weigh so little and be so sharp, that it would cut through stone be resting atop it.  For a challenge, most older players just stick with steel and dwarf power.

Overpowered? You don't use it for weapons. You use it...

to make your fortress unnecessarily badass. "I played Adamantinesweeper and all I got was this lousy masterwork statue!"

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 02:49:02 pm »

Elite bowman don't care that you have adamantine. They'll still shoot and kill you VERY often. Other than that, yeah you're immune to everything.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 05:03:19 pm »

My dwarves actually used the adamantine threads as sutures, rather than doing anything useful with it...

When I saw that sutures are reusable when a dwarf gets healed and leaves the hospital, I was pretty glad.
Pages: [1] 2