Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Creature Deluxe (v 0.91) Soul System upgrade for .34.  (Read 5816 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.8) Now with 2000 new creatures! + Soul system
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 09:44:00 pm »

Is there any way I can get a version of this without souls and Genesis? I would prefer just the new and awesome sounding creatures.

Sure, besides all the souls do right now is give you something when you butcher them. Not hard to take out.

@Putnam: No I don't, I thought I had included all the right files but I guess I missed that one. It will be fixed on the next update. You are also correct in that I should split everything that's not default into it's own files for maximum compatibility. This will also be done for the next update.

For everyone, there will be 4 versions included in the next release:
Version 1: For those of you who use Genesis, files will be kept in Genesis format
Version 2: For those of you who play vanilla or another mod, modded files will be made their own files for ease of use. (Thanks Putnam)
Version 3: For those of you who want all the new creatures but don't want the soul system. (Thanks Jakob)
Version 4: For those of you who want the soul system without all the new creatures, will add souls to vanilla creatures (Thanks Pickerel)

Since I used Python scripts to generate all of these files don't worry about requesting other versions you might want (other people might want them too!). If I think it is to much work I will say no and just tell you how to do it yourself, but these 4 versions I think are good, in fact the only reason version 1 is up there is because I use Genesis, otherwise it would just be 2-4.

Next release is scheduled for this coming week, as soon as I get my paper submitted I will finish up and post it.

For those of you who care;
Next Version
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 05:46:08 pm »

I have a question for anyone using/thinking about using this mod. How do you feel about python scripts?

I ask because there are a lot of mods floating around and a lot of adjustments I have made are dependent on what weapons/creatures/items you have in your raw folder. Currently I have written scripts for myself that parse through the raw folder and any time it gets a file called item_weapon* it recognizes it as a weapons file and similarly for everything else.

I could set up just a vanilla release for those of you who don't feel comfortable with Python (it's free and super easy to install and run), but I think to really get the most out of this mod you should be able to have whatever creatures and weapons and such you want and have them all be able to contribute.

A reasonable readme would be included to make sure that no one feels lost, and I am always willing to answer questions.

Aside: I hit a snag on armor upgrading so in the next release currently only weapons will be allowed to be upgraded. Also golem essences are now able to be processed into a statue, a soul (depending on which type of golem), and a number of blocks made of the material of the golem (also dependent on the type of golem). These will be placeholder reactions until the next release of DF. Expect the next release of Creature Deluxe by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

Sorry for no update, rough week. Hopefully I will have something to release this weekend. What I did want to mention is that there will be a couple Python scripts that will appear in the next release.

The first is a script that will let you customize which of the 2000 some new creatures you want to add. You will have the choice to add souls, just do default, and even select a random number of creatures!!! Make every world you generate unique!

The second script is lets you go through any creature files you have in your raws and add souls to them. By default it uses an algorithm to determine the type of soul to give a creature, but you have the option of giving it a different soul level! Want your stinking elves and goblins to have a lesser soul? Want your dwarves to have a massive soul? Your choice!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of this will be released soon, along with the updates mentioned above.

Advertisement: Use your golem essences to create a fortress made completely of diamond blocks!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New version uploaded. Included is a readme which I hope is pretty self explanatory but is probably way to convoluted. Let me know what I can do to make it better.

Version 0.90 update
-Included three separate versions (vanilla with souls, new creatures without souls, and new creatures with souls)
-Included several python scripts for customization
-Expanded the soul system. Can now level all weapons up to level 5, and can process golem essences into neat things.
-Fixed several problems with certain creatures

All Python scripts have been tested on Windows and Linux Python 2.6 and 2.7 (should work just fine for 3.0). If anyone out there on a mac wants to give them a try that would be great!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have yet to use the souls - I don't have time - but I looked at the mod, and I am left with a question.  The method for using souls to upgrade involves the destruction of the item to be upgraded, and creation of a new one, at least from a code standpoint.  How does this work with such things as decorations and original item quality?  As is, a high quality shortsword, for example, would be of greater strength than a low quality version of a 'level 5 shortsword', so if the quality does not carry over, you could be nerfing your swords of awesome in favor of swords of slightly less awesome, unless one had an awesome alchemist.  Likewise, one could be converting with that alchemist one's crappy weapons with a few souls to upgraded AND high quality items.  I think it might end up being quirky?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have yet to use the souls - I don't have time - but I looked at the mod, and I am left with a question.  The method for using souls to upgrade involves the destruction of the item to be upgraded, and creation of a new one, at least from a code standpoint.  How does this work with such things as decorations and original item quality?  As is, a high quality shortsword, for example, would be of greater strength than a low quality version of a 'level 5 shortsword', so if the quality does not carry over, you could be nerfing your swords of awesome in favor of swords of slightly less awesome, unless one had an awesome alchemist.  Likewise, one could be converting with that alchemist one's crappy weapons with a few souls to upgraded AND high quality items.  I think it might end up being quirky?

I agree, unfortunately I don't know of any way to keep the quality and/or decorations of a previous item while still upgrading it. Decorations don't actually add any combat value, so while I could make the souls completely asthetic in nature, I wanted to let there be some distinct advantage. Perhaps instead of upgrading previous weapons I should change it so that you create new weapons, but even then a masterwork short sword would probably still be better than a regular soul sword, unless I make the soul sword super good. Or maybe even better you should be able to upgrade the metals themselves, then make the same weapons out of it. So instead of a steel level 5 short sword you would have a level 5 steel short sword. Things to think about...

Also I anticipate that there will be a large rewrite of the soul system when the new version of DF comes out.

I really should also change it from the Alchemy skill to the Weaponsmith skill. That way you are at least working within the same skill set for upgrades.

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a very cool mod! I have a few comments.

In body_faerun.txt, why are breasts put into [CATEGORY:PANCREAS]? Why are phalluses on the [LEFT] side?

Also, you spell "brethren" as "bretheren" in creature_colossus.txt, and the plural of "colossus" is "colossuses" or "collosi".

"occasional" is spelled "ocassional" in creature_dragon.txt, and "reptilian" is spelled "reptillian".

"entire civilizations have fell" should be "entire civilizations have fallen" in creature_high_dragon.txt.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:55:01 pm by Gorobay »

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In body_faerun.txt, why are breasts put into [CATEGORY:PANCREAS]? Why are phalluses on the [LEFT] side?
"Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place"
                                                - Martia to Captain James T. Kirk in The Undiscovered Country (1991)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hahaha, the genitals are how they are simply because that is how Deon has them set up in Genesis.

As for the typos, thanks for pointing them out. I am a notoriously bad speller!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.9) Soul System upgrade for .34.
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:11 am »

Updated first post, please read!

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:13 am »

This sounds pretty awesome to me! My only requests is that you use Ironhand or another graphics pack for it somehow. Sorry for being the noob that can't use the ASCII version but there are a lot of us.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »

Nice, I did not realize that you were the author of Creatures Deluxe. I have the old version lying around and wanted to add the soul system in some way or another to my mod, but never got around to do it. (also since I did not know exactly what your scripts would do to my poor raws)

I really hope that you get a working version of this out. The only way to add attributes and skills I found is with boiling stone syndromes, and they are not really easy to control. (and need temperature ON)

Drinks work as well, but also difficult to control. See my Creature Research Lab, I use the megabeast corpses/souls/essences for one legendary skill ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:53 pm »

Yes, right now I am using the boiling stones trick, it's not the best method, but it works, and I think it would be easier to control then drinks. Since I discovered the new EXTRA_BUTHCER_OBJECT tag I have decided to rework the way the soul system functions. Since you can now have the creatures drop already cut gems theres no need for the micromanegment of butcher -> process -> use.

As of now I have all the reactions to level up a dwarves physical attributes. Currently there are four levels of increase. The higher the level the more points you get in the attribute, but the more souls it costs. I have added the extra butcher tag to every creature with a heart, and since it doesn't require a complex tissue definition or extra body parts it should be super easy to add any level soul you want to any of your creatures, just add
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:SOUL_GEM_ONE] - or TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE

Simple as that! Hoping to get a version out next week, depends how side tracked I get with making spells. 

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.91) Soul System upgrade for .34.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

Sorry for the delayed release. I kept thinking up new things I wanted to add, eventually I just decided I should release a preliminary version for anyone that is interested.

What this version gives: (v 0.91)

Upgrade your dwarves using the souls of the defeated creatures around you.
Teach basic spells to your dwarves using the souls of megabeasts.

Next version additions: (v 0.92)

Special spells from each unique megabeast
Add the golem factory
Special upgrades from certain creatures (GSC, semimegabeats, etc...)

All you need to do to run it is copy over the raws into your installed version. And then copy the contents of permitted.txt to which ever entity you want to have access to the reactions/buildings.

The only things changed in this mod from the vanilla raws is the addition of the [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT] tag to each creature. Thus it should be perfectly compatable with any other mod you are currently playing.

Note that it does produce an error log, but the errors can be ignored as they do not effect the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]