Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edges of map  (Read 1643 times)

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Edges of map
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »

I was trying, in my little glacier fortress, to wall off the surface, for two functions:not being bothered by migrants/caravans/sieges when i don't want to be bothered, and forcing the spawn of magma-related beasties(walling the caverns too, and no aquifer).
No walls allowed near the edges, so drawbridges.

Used the lever, checked with D epot access, red everywhere. Good.
Everything was going as planned, but it was bound to go awry sooner or later.
Migrant. Where a bridge was, only snow remained.

Pause enabled when migrants arrive, so they haven't deconstructed it.
I checked if he was still here, and he was.

To not open all other bridge, i construced a lever for this one.
Apparently, when raised, he display only snow, and when flat, he display the corresponding graphic.

It wasn't just visual, migrant passed on it without issue, and permit passage of wagon in both states.

Was it because ALL the land was walled off, forcing them to spawn because they had to spawn?
If i let a small passage open, will that be ok?
Must i just revert to slaughtering everything everytime everywhere?

EDIT: Forgot to say that i already had my two first hardcoded waves of migrants.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:40:04 pm by Noctane »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Edges of map
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:24 pm »

Did you make a retracting bridge or a raising bridge?

If you made a retracting bridge (just designating and ordering them to build without pressing a/w/d/x) then anything can go over it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:46:14 pm »

Did you make a retracting bridge or a raising bridge?

If you made a retracting bridge (just designating and ordering them to build without pressing a/w/d/x) then anything can go over it.

Was worried of that, there was absolutely no wagon access anywhere, so i probably not did the mistake. (reconstructing it, and waiting for caravan/whatever, not like i was planning to abandon soon).

EDIT: A polar bear appared out of nowhere (i assume, wasn't here when he spawned).
Snif.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:01:36 pm by Noctane »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »

Where exactly was the migrant when he arrived?  Was he coexisting with the bridge?  (Inside of it?)  Was he on top of the bridge?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

Where exactly was the migrant when he arrived?  Was he coexisting with the bridge?  (Inside of it?)  Was he on top of the bridge?

Where the bridge was, same z-level, just on snow.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:44 pm »

It sounds like you built a retracting bridge instead of a raising bridge.

The (D)epot access command only checks for three tile wide clear paths.  The purpose of that command is to tell you if a wagon can reach your trade depot, not to tell you if there is any path at all.  If there is one or two tiles left open it will tell you there is no access, yet creatures will still be able to get in and out.  (Note that wagons don't actually show up in the current version, so this isn't that useful of a command).

Also, things like boulders block wagons but don't block creatures, so the Depot access command can tell you there's no access when you've got a clear field for creatures to walk in.

If you successfully block off all of the edge tiles, migrants and wandering animals will not appear at all.  I've done this on several forts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »

I believe that migrants and caravans are planned some time before they arrive.  Migrations planned before bridging might behave differently than migrations planned after bridging off the world.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »

I believe that migrants and caravans are planned some time before they arrive.  Migrations planned before bridging might behave differently than migrations planned after bridging off the world.

Mmmh... It was indeed the last bridge i constructed, i mean the bridge the migrants ransacked.

Since the bear, no more spawning, almost a year since the migrants incident. Will wait another year to be sure.

EDIT: Ok, two years and no spawn, the walling of the edges definitively work, i probably made a retracting bridge, or the planned wave who will go in at any cost is true, anyway if that's the later, deconstructing/reconstructing the breach is enough, so no matter.
I don't excuse myself, i searched for quite some time to find a thread on the edges, can help another, na.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:45:01 pm by Noctane »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:51 am »

The (D)epot access command only checks for three tile wide clear paths.
Actually, no. It verifies all paths and shows creature-accessible tiles in yellow while painting those where wagon can go green. Red means exactly that no one can reach that place.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:10:47 am »

Actually, no. It verifies all paths and shows creature-accessible tiles in yellow while painting those where wagon can go green. Red means exactly that no one can reach that place.

Actually, no. -D-epot access shows where the wagons can travel in green and red, there is no yellow.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:57 am »

Actually, no. -D-epot access shows where the wagons can travel in green and red, there is no yellow.
Actually there is (go check)  :P But red indeed relates to wagon only.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:46:37 am »

Actually there is (go check)  :P But red indeed relates to wagon only.
I just checked.  Yellow shows the location of the Depot.  Green shows where wagons can travel.  Red shows where wagons can't travel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:22:47 pm »

"After a trade depot is built, you can use D to check wagon accessibility. The decisive element is that you see the 'depot accessible' message on the right. Accessibility is calculated from your depot, not the edge of the map. Even though you see a green area around your depot, it may not be accessible. You need to make sure the path extends all the way to some edge of the map. The display is somewhat misleading in that a one tile wide green path is sufficient for the 3 tile wide wagons; the green Ws represent only the center of a wagon although the whole 3x3 can fit around it - so a three-tile wide path, which can fit a wagon, will only show up as one-tile wide line of Ws. When the route they would take goes over hills (ramps), it's hard to eye whether it is continuous all the way to the edge of the map, so be sure you see the words "depot accessible" on the depot access screen. "
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 01:59:16 pm »

The yellow shows an inaccessible depot, like the key says.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noctane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »

"After a trade depot is built, you can use D to check wagon accessibility. The decisive element is that you see the 'depot accessible' message on the right. Accessibility is calculated from your depot, not the edge of the map. Even though you see a green area around your depot, it may not be accessible. You need to make sure the path extends all the way to some edge of the map. The display is somewhat misleading in that a one tile wide green path is sufficient for the 3 tile wide wagons; the green Ws represent only the center of a wagon although the whole 3x3 can fit around it - so a three-tile wide path, which can fit a wagon, will only show up as one-tile wide line of Ws. When the route they would take goes over hills (ramps), it's hard to eye whether it is continuous all the way to the edge of the map, so be sure you see the words "depot accessible" on the depot access screen. "

My "red everywhere" is misleading, "a fine cadre of 2 tile wide red highlighting the edges of the map, with green inside" is what i meant.