Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Conspiracy? They sure hate me  (Read 2676 times)

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
Conspiracy? They sure hate me
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »

Normal dwarfy day in Datantosid Mabdug, also known as other races for "Ironarmor of Ale", dwarves are laboring, throwing tantrums parties, and training in danger room.
This day, has brought  siege to us. Humans attack us once more. So I, Overlord, sent my duchess, Fikod Bugold the Fenced Air, to combat, she is legendary in fighting, shield using, axe fighting, dodging and lashing, i always give nobility to my most usefull dwarves, like The Duchess.
She would normally tear them apart, like... like, atom slash/smash them with her axe to bits. but not today.
5 minutes later...
Vile force of darkness has arrived
I was ecstatic of this, finally a challange for duchess, two sieges in one, but isnt it strange to have humans and goblins attacking me at same time?
On top of goblin horde is their master... Belar, i though this could be hard for duchess, so i sent a squad to kill Belar.
2 minutes later...
Humans died, by hand of Duchess, Goblin squad number 1 died... Goblin squad number 2 died too, but not by hands of a dwarf.

Belar, has poisoned her own goblins and my bit of squad, while rest of it was chasing left over horse.
Those two were legendary, and only managed to bruise the Belar, seeing as they died so fast, im asking you, guys from forum, for advice.
How to kill Belar to Duchess kill him (preferable) and not being killed herself? i think using 20 other of dwarves is bad idea, dust kills pretty quickly, like in 5 seconds of inhalation, dwarf gets infected then bleeds out, no wounds needed.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy? They sure hate me
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:50:39 pm »

You'll have to throw all you can at it, and magma won't work since it's a clown. Try making your duchess attack it, while hoping she at least lands a killing blow before dying to the syndrome. You could also make a huge cave-in below it or lure it to a hallway full of upright spear traps (not weapon traps) linked to a lever set to repeat.

You could, of course, just close your fort and wait for it to get bored and leave, but that's rather undwarfy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »

Or manage to get it to move under a cave-in trap. Dwarfier than upright spears.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

Based on my experience with Forgotten Beasts, even magma-immune Forgotten Beasts will not move if they are completely surrounded by even 1/7 magma, so if it works the same way and you can get that to happen, you can consider dumping water on top to obsidiancast it or else built and activate a cave-in device.

Of course, this is contingent on you being able to seal off your fort. If you can't seal off all your dwarves (and your duchess), then you're gonna have trouble; that demon will pretty much just kill you all.

If you can, though, I recommend building a corridor leading into your fort, with a door with pressurized magma behind it (have some way to disconnect the magma though), connect the corridor to the outside, and let the demon path into your fortress through the corridor - it will stop to destroy the door, which will then instantly flood the corridor with magma (and, if you design it right, NOT flood your fortress) stopping the demon in your tracks. Then, happily build a cave-in trap above its head.

If demons can path through magma, though, it won't work, and you'll just have a demon sitting in a corridor, but at least that's better than a demon killing your fort.

Unless maybe if you kill all of the goblins, he'll be like "Oh snap, enough troops have died, siege lifted" and leave? I dunno how that works.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »

Is Belar wearing clothing? If so, the only units of you military that can possibly hurt it are hammerdwarves.

It's a [BODY_SIZE:0:0:10000000] creature, so its clothing turns into giant deflector shields. This is similiar to the ogre clothing problem.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:25:51 am »

Is Belar wearing clothing? If so, the only units of you military that can possibly hurt it are hammerdwarves.

It's a [BODY_SIZE:0:0:10000000] creature, so its clothing turns into giant deflector shields. This is similiar to the ogre clothing problem.

... I laughed. <3 dwarf fortress.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:34:55 am »

Right now just obliterate remaining goblins to scare it away. For the next time prepare crowd of expendable marksdwarves, make sure there's enough quivers.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 01:09:55 am »

Animal for bait, support linked to lever, stuff above support set to cave-in on the thing, pull lever
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:56 am »

Unfortunatley it is, i am savescumming or whatever its called(The art of replaying save a couple of times), becouse 8 out of 10 times it runs out of map, maybe is scared of goblins dead?
Checked combat logs and this one... ugh. deflected axe blow of my duchess, hammerblows and stuff, had a moment when belar did die due to lucky headshot or self inhalating her syndrome.
When Belar runs out, she always does actually but she chooses a path from upper map or through my cave.
I designed my fort to:
Duchess kills Belar,
Duchess kills clowns, lots of them, doesnt must be whole horde, although i having problem with this, 30 legendary dwarves and 50 dogs is 40 kills for me, +10 with cave in, out of 100
Duchess goes mad, finishes out whole fort, in her insanity gaining too much power. (If something has got no syndrome attacks, like Minotaur, its just 5 seconds to chop his head off, though Belar  is clothed...)

And, killing beast by it suiciding is not an option, or cave in, or traps, i have to do it most hardcore way and stuff, i am happy my target isnt to be accomplished with training weapons or candy hammers.
Going to try get useless cheesemakers into meat fodder. -20 to hauler team:)

EDIT: I have got marksdwarf team, though, they like to walk 5 hours around map looking for equipment, they always throw it away duuhh.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:20:22 am by DarkWolfXV »
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 06:52:54 am »

Would you be able to use magma to burn off its clothing, then attack it normally, or does fire resistance apply to equipment as well?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 07:05:50 am »

Would you be able to use magma to burn off its clothing, then attack it normally, or does fire resistance apply to equipment as well?
Would make stuff harder, he would burn additionaly to his demonic power.
By the way, i got very angry and just sent in a squad of marksdwarves, *boom* headshot.
Belar has died...
But the sacrifices...
10 legendary soldiers, 5 marksdwarves, one of them put bolt in his head, then died.
Lots of innocent dorfs...
Duchess is alive though, she ran into goblins instead of Belar

Now.
What should i do with Belar?
Drop her into magma? Encase her in obsidian? Get her corpse in glass and put it on top of my Tower? How do i get demon in stockpile, is it forgotten beast type of something?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 07:23:15 am »

Glass surrounded by magma in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
,she'll be carried to a corpse stockpile.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:07:17 am »

Glass surrounded by magma in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
,she'll be carried to a corpse stockpile.
Great idea, though, i cant breach circus yet, especially as im low on army, only duchess can kill anything in great manner.
I though of making it in top of my tower, her encased in glass, in room of cotton candy (i have plenty of it, couse of having two pillars)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:14 am »

Once, while playing as Humans, my "law-maker" arrived: a Tortise Fiend. First thought: FUCK YEAH. Second thought: Shit, I hope it doesn't have toxic fumes. Third thought: It has fire breath.... FUCH YEAH.
I trap/pit entire seiges into an arena made especially for him: Obsidian and Iron walls everywhere. He always won with no damage. Clowns are freaking tough. Good luck. I recomend walling yourself in. Eventually, a Human with a giant sword or bow will show up as a caravan guard and get a lucky hit.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:16:59 am »

Now.
What should i do with Belar?
Drop her into magma? Encase her in obsidian? Get her corpse in glass and put it on top of my Tower? How do i get demon in stockpile, is it forgotten beast type of something?

If you unforbid it, you may be able to butcher it in the butcher's shop. Then, you can eat it!
Pages: [1] 2