Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Equipping Armor Efficiently  (Read 14399 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Armor Efficiently
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 07:30:20 pm »

Nobody will wear artifact armor unless you specifically tell them to. Your artifact kitten bone breastplate will sit in an armor bin until you pick a dwarf, go to his equipment list (m->e then move highlight to the dwarf) and then select the specific armor (A->'specific armor'->pick from the list). Same with artifact weapons.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:40 pm »

Oh...my impression was that a dwarf just had to reach "hero" status, and then they'd go pick up an artifact on their own.

So you have to assign them specifically, but they won't pick it up unless they've reached "hero" status?

Or did I get it completely wrong and any recruit can use artifacts if you tell them to?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

Any recruit. In a panic I assigned a rnandom dwarf an artifact crossbow when a marsh titan was smacking people around, and he promptly walked outside and 1-shotted it. And a giant mite forgotten beast. and a minotaur.

He's now the leader of my crossbowdwarves.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »

Oh...my impression was that a dwarf just had to reach "hero" status, and then they'd go pick up an artifact on their own.

So you have to assign them specifically, but they won't pick it up unless they've reached "hero" status?

Or did I get it completely wrong and any recruit can use artifacts if you tell them to?

It's my understanding that in earlier versions, only legendary warriors could/would use artifacts. But that was before my time, so I'm only going on heresay.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 12:37:54 pm »

Certainly not or no longer true. I have multiple non-legendary fighters wielding artefact weaponry; an oaken crossbow (the bearded righteousness) and a horse bone short sword (menshower) .
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:26 pm »

Thanks everybody for the correction...I better assign somebody to use that steel battleaxe that menaces with spikes of steel soon.

...and a horse bone short sword (menshower) .

That's a fun artifact name. Reminds me of those soap ads:

"The good news: menshower.
The bad news: menshower with inferior materials.
Try new men+adamantine sword+!"

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

:D

The Bearded Righteousness is a better name for a Dwarf weapon, though. ;)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

If I assign Helm's to my dwarf's uniform.  And there's a leather helm, and an iron helm.  What is the decision process of which one he picks?  I read in another thread, the dwarf will pick a higher quality crafted weapon.  I'm just wondering if he'd pick a higher protection value'd material as well.

Right now I have my Archer's wearing all leather except a metal chain mail.  Which means he is wearing a Helm (Leather material).

I'm thinking of not specifying material, in hopes that they will grab a higher quality material (such as metal) over leather.  Cuz what I don't want to happen is pick Helm, and they pick a lesser quality.  I'm hoping for leather or better.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »

My guess would be that the dwarf just picks whichever one is closest to him. Technically he will "pick" both a metal helm and a leather helm at that point, but he will only be able to equip whichever one he picks up first. YEs dwarves do pick the things that have the highest value, but that only applies to choices within a single equipment choice, such as between an iron helm and a steel helm, and not to picking between metal and leather.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 05:49:45 am »

It's not just whichever is closer.

I'm pretty sure the decision works like this: the dwarf considers the choices available, then picks whichever is most expensive.

If you specify a material, they'll pick whichever item of that material is most expensive, if there are no items of the specified type and metal, then the dwarf will look for the most expensive item of that type, ignoring the rule about the metal (unless you have "exact matches" on, in which case the dwarf will post errors about it instead).

That usually works well, since metals are more valuable than leather, steel more valuable than other metals, and adamantine much more valuable than steel.

There are a few cases in which it's sometimes helpful to specify a specific metal, like with shields, where they'd prefer to use a steel shield instead of a copper shield, even though they block the same and the copper shield does more damage when there's a shield bash.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:34 am »

Well, generally it works well.

However, decorations really mess this up. You can have leather armor helms worth ~800 which will beat most metal helms because if you sew leather/cloth/yarn/silk image on it, it really adds up.

Ditto with wooden shields - masterwork shields take a long time to get replaced, so does bone/shell armor if you lucked out on high quality pieces.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:18 pm »

The optimum arrangement is;

metal mail shirt
metal mail shirt
metal mail shirt
metal breastplate
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather cloak
leather trousers
leather trousers
metal greaves
metal gauntlets
leather mittens
socks
metal high boots
metal cap
metal cap
metal helm
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
leather hood
metal shield
weapon (ranged or melee)

My dwarves won't equip any caps with their helms.

I think it's possible in adventurer mode, but can it be done in DF mode as well?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »

See that just seems like a ridiculous amount of armor. It also looks extremely silly when I try o imagine it. My dwarves seem to do just fine with

Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
high boots[or low]
gauntlets
Helm
cloak
shield
weapon.

And it takes a lot less longer to make it all, too, than 30 mail shirts per dwarf.

For me it's no cloak (I modded chain shirts to cover throat and face; modding helms that way would have been preferable, but alas I don't think there's a way) but with chain leggings under the greaves (which wouldn't have worked without modding).

I wanted them to wear cloth or leather items under armor for realism more so than for added protection, but getting them to equip the proper amounts of gloves vs gauntlets and socks/chausses (again, modded) vs boots seems impossible. They invariably end up wearing nothing under the boots, or two socks, no boot on one foot, etc.

Is there a workaround or mod I can use to get them to layer items on their extremities properly? I already know that I have to overproduce gauntlets and boots to get those worn in the first place, since they seem to reserve four gauntlets and three boots every time, but similarly overproducing gloves and socks/chausses didn't work.

EDIT: Oh, and they also refuse to wear caps as in the case of the former poster. Pants and shirts seemed to work properly.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:39 am »

See that just seems like a ridiculous amount of armor. It also looks extremely silly when I try o imagine it. My dwarves seem to do just fine with

Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
high boots[or low]
gauntlets
Helm
cloak
shield
weapon.

And it takes a lot less longer to make it all, too, than 30 mail shirts per dwarf.

Hear, hear.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 09:10:30 am »

For me it's no cloak (I modded chain shirts to cover throat and face; modding helms that way would have been preferable, but alas I don't think there's a way) but with chain leggings under the greaves (which wouldn't have worked without modding).
You can mod necks to attach to the upper body instead of the head. Looking at the raws it should be as simple as changing the neck's connection type from 'head' to 'body', but given that mail shirts don't seem to protect the upper arms and shoulders I don't know what will happen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4