Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Equipping Armor Efficiently  (Read 14418 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping Armor Efficiently
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:34 am »

Related question, do leather pieces of armor and clothing suffer wear, like clothing?
If a civilian dwarf can turn up wearing it, it's clothing and will wear as such (foreign items work in roughly the same manner). Armor, leggings, helms, high boots, and low boots are the only leather armour items which do not wear.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »

As to the cany cloaks question: They are good protection, but they do suffer from wear, so you might be wasting your precious addy in the long term.

For a really quick and cheap uniform, try:
Cloak
Helmet
Pick/axe/spear/hammer/whatever weapon really
Shield
Crossbow/quiver/bolts if you want.

*Leave on civilian clothing, exact matches not necessary.

It's suprising how effective it is, and your dwarves almost never stuff it up. Plus it takes next to no time to make it and equip them. It's my standard militia uniform actually. They punch (and hack and bash) way above their weight and once trained seem almost as effective as fully armoured dwarves. Well, not really, but they're so much easier to make that most of my fort ends up wearing this kit.

80+ pick/crossbow-dwarves>5 candy-legendaries every time in my opinion. At least nothing can really suprise you (as long as dead dwarves isn't a suprise to you).
It's a game. Have fun.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 08:33:42 pm »

What about the use of candy?  I hear that it's best turning them into robes, because they offer the most protection.  True or false?

While yes, they do cover most of the body and since it's candy most everything will bounce off it, do be aware that robes will degrade since they're made out of cloth.

So I guess if you have a ton of candy lying around not doing anything then yes, it's a good idea.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »

No metal leggings to go with the greaves?

Also, does the uniform list have to be exactly in that order?
Hmm looks like they cant equip leggings with greaves... there goes some precious steel :(
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

what about a leather toga
mail
plate?

I guess one could use mail mail mail and plate

but I think that's just a waste of good iron.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 05:24:11 pm »

See that just seems like a ridiculous amount of armor. It also looks extremely silly when I try o imagine it. My dwarves seem to do just fine with

Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
high boots[or low]
gauntlets
Helm
cloak
shield
weapon.

And it takes a lot less longer to make it all, too, than 30 mail shirts per dwarf.

Yeah, the whole 6 cloaks, 3 mail shirts things seems awfully munchin-esque to me. I go with what you listed, plus a leather hood to provide a little extra coverage.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »

It's funny that I know exactly what you mean when you say munchkin-esque. I love that game.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »

"Munchkin" was a term before the game.  It'd be like someone saying a massive engineering undertaking is "dwarfy" and you say, "Dwarf Fortress, I love that game."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:11 pm »

Not really, since dwarfy is a term developed and mostly used by the Dwarf Fortress community. More like if someone said "zombie" and someone else replied "Resident Evil. I really loved that game," except that RE is one of the few zombie games to not include "zombie" or "dead" in its name.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

Zombies? I love Resident Evil.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 01:51:19 pm »

It's funny that I know exactly what you mean when you say munchkin-esque. I love that game.
Oddly enough, I don't know what you mean. I learned the munchkin term back in my AD&D days in high school. It was the younger kids that would always try to use any trick they could slide through the cracks in the rules to get an advantage.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »

Oddly enough, I don't know what you mean. I learned the munchkin term back in my AD&D days in high school. It was the younger kids that would always try to use any trick they could slide through the cracks in the rules to get an advantage.

I think that's exactly what he means: "stacking multiple mail shirts etc is the sort of thing younger kids that would always try to use any trick they could slide through the cracks in the rules to get an advantage would do".
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 04:33:16 pm »

OK, help the new guy out...  when you say to make your uniform like the above examples, do you mean exactly as it's written above there, or do you specify your armor?

For example, you've got "Metal Chain Shirt". Is that a selectable option on the uniform menu, or is that meant as I should select a metal chain shirt specificly for that slot? Do I need to specify a particulal metal chain shirt, or can I just set them up to go grab the best metal chain shirt they can find?

Sorry if the question is confusing - I'm confused in general when it comes to equipping my dwarves, so I think I may not even know enough yet to ask my question effectively...

Sheepherder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:23 pm »

There's a card game called Munchkin.  It's sort of a parody of that exact type of player.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 06:59:18 pm »

OK, help the new guy out...  when you say to make your uniform like the above examples, do you mean exactly as it's written above there, or do you specify your armor?

For example, you've got "Metal Chain Shirt". Is that a selectable option on the uniform menu, or is that meant as I should select a metal chain shirt specificly for that slot? Do I need to specify a particulal metal chain shirt, or can I just set them up to go grab the best metal chain shirt they can find?

Sorry if the question is confusing - I'm confused in general when it comes to equipping my dwarves, so I think I may not even know enough yet to ask my question effectively...

What you do is set up a uniform, add "chain shirt" to it. Then switch to specifying materials (I think it's either (m) or (M), I forget which at the moment), select the chain shirt, and choose "metal" as the type.

It's not really that important to specify the material, without it, they'll pick up the most expensive chainmail shirt that's available, without considering the material.

The only reason to specify "metal" is so you don't have anyone doing things like preferring elephant bone armor to copper armor because elephant bone has a higher value multiplier. As long as you don't require exact matches, they'll still equip the elephant bone armor if it's all you've got, but they'll prefer metal once it's available.

If you have stupid-expensive artifact metal armor made of inferior metals, you might consider requiring a specific metal instead, so your heros won't wear it instead of something that provides more protection...although I'm not certain what the ‼science‼ says about artifact lousy-metal armor vs. masterwork steel armor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4