Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven trench warefare?  (Read 2374 times)

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven trench warefare?
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:32:28 am »

Is there any possible way to make some sort of trench for my marksdwarves can fire out of? Like I understand that there's fortifications I can use for bunkers. But I thought It would be cooler to have a huge trench that spans around my fortress for defense purposes. I think it'l make sieges more interesting.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven trench warefare?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:36:02 am »

Your dwarfs will be able to fire from a trench. However, watch out:

1) They will receive counter fire
2) If you don't remove the ramps, it will soon be a melee combat.

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:43:30 am »

Your dwarfs will be able to fire from a trench. However, watch out:

1) They will receive counter fire
2) If you don't remove the ramps, it will soon be a melee combat.

But how would I dig out the trench? Channels?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »

Yes.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »

In trench warfare people died in droves to charges, the only thing preventing a massive charge was the fact that people were afraid to die. Goblins don't scare easy so without fortifications your guys are gonna get butchered.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

In trench warfare people died in droves to charges, the only thing preventing a massive charge was the fact that people were afraid to die. Goblins don't scare easy so without fortifications your guys are gonna get butchered.

Goblins don't jump in holes. Even 1-z deep. That's why without ramps, his marksdwarves will be kind of safe.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »

Goblins don't jump in holes. Even 1-z deep. That's why without ramps, his marksdwarves will be kind of safe.

Until goblin archers come or a goblin master axeman dodges into the hole with them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:59:21 pm by Excedion »
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure they can attack from 1 square away even if they're on different Z levels. That means while his dwarves are shooting goblins can close with them from the top of the trench and attack.

Linden Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »

I'm starting the trench project now. It's going to be two tiles wide. When It's finished, I'll post screenshots. And once I get a siege I'll announce the casualties when it's over.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:35:45 pm »

I suspect the marksdwarves will not be able to get line-of-sight on the goblins unless they are on the lip of the trench anyway. It would however work to get your melee dwarves to hold position and wait for the gobbos to come to them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 05:59:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure they can attack from 1 square away even if they're on different Z levels. That means while his dwarves are shooting goblins can close with them from the top of the trench and attack.

I'm pretty sure you're correct about attacking from 1 square away and 1 z-level up or down.  Adjacent goblins could attack.

But they won't, because they'll never get adjacent with proper design, because they can't path.  They'll path instead to a dwarf (or creature) in a tile they can walk to.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure you're correct about attacking from 1 square away and 1 z-level up or down.  Adjacent goblins could attack.

But they won't, because they'll never get adjacent with proper design, because they can't path.  They'll path instead to a dwarf (or creature) in a tile they can walk to.

Are you sure they won't path to a dwarf on a different Z level? I really can't wrap my head around the design your describing.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:21:25 pm »

You CAN attack an enemy in front of you, down a level. It's been done in adventure mode. The goblins will stand at your trench and hack down at your dwarves heads.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 06:24:50 pm »

Are you sure they won't path to a dwarf on a different Z level? I really can't wrap my head around the design your describing.

Code: [Select]
  ###########
           v#
  #         #
  #         #
  #_________#

# is wall, _ is channel (marksdwarves 1 z-level down), v is chain (chained animal, likely), open space is ground, goblins enter from the left

Goblins can path to the chained animal, so they file in along the northern wall.  They can't path to the dwarves, because no path exists (or if there is a path, it's not by moving south inside of this enclosure).  They enter to kill the animal, are exposed to crossbow fire.  If they kill the animal, they try to path to the next thing.

This diagram is just for demonstration purposes.  Walls aren't necessary.  The only thing is to try to keep the goblins from naturally pathing adjacent to the channel.

I'm very confident about the goblin pathing; I am much less confident about the ability of the marksdwarves to actually fire from inside of a channel with any kind of reasonable range.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:27:09 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »

Took it to the arena
xxxxxxxx
#_D__#x
#####x
V########G
xxxxxxxx

Where:
x= wall
#=floor
_= channel
v= chained animal played by a fish out of water.
D= archer dwarf
G= goblin

The goblin attacked the bait animal and ignored the dwarf, however the dwarf failed to engage the goblin. I don't think there's a way to make this work. I hypothesize that if the dwarf sees the goblin and is able to attack then the goblin is going to see the dwarf and attack in turn.
Pages: [1] 2