Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: War on Zombies  (Read 17833 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War on Zombies
« Reply #285 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

It's what I'd do as president. We've got MAD for a reason, you know? From a simple revenge factor, setting off three nukes in the United States clearly isn't the sort of thing that's acceptable. From a reasoned approach, not responding shows American cowardice and utterly break MAD, allowing further WMD's to be used against US targets. However, I couldn't *quite* go with the utter destruction of the world. Gotta have a proportionate response, you know (feel free to watch the third episode of the West Wing for the way that Pres. Strife (this assuming that he'd survive, which isn't certain) would feel about his options). Of course, three us cities hit by nukes would, by normal definition of a super power's proportional response, require 12ish major enemy sites destroy. Does Russia still have that many major sites? I don't actually know, and we'd be very leery about nuking nukes. Still, tell Russia that they'd need immediate compliance, including a full stand-down of everything they have, probably call for a dissolution of the Politburo, so on and so forth. If they didn't comply within a day, tell them which four bases we're annihilating, then drop a minuteman on each of them (3 mirvs each, each of which are considerably considerably more powerful than any suitcase nuke). If Russia responds, everything else is still on 15 minute alert, and if that's what kills the world, so be it.

Finding out if it's Russia is a different matter, though. However, if we're talking about nuclear attacks, it isn't all *that* hard. Obviously, any bit of American or International law is completely ignored for the duration by the United States. No one in the country would give a damn at that point, and if the situation arose, we'd authorize Delta to borrow people from foreign countries. Moreover, there's actually a fair bit of distinction in nuclear material, enough to know what reactor it came from. I'm not sure if the US knows enough to mark it to a specific Russian plant without the Russians telling us, but refusal to tell us would be awfully suspicious on Russia's part.

But I'm talking like a politician here. The truth of the matter is, that there's a very good chance that nuking the US *will* result in the end of civilization, with or without zeds (of course, with most of the world dead from nuclear war, we don't have the large population densities required for a serious undead threat).

"Despite all the saber-rattling of their political masters, these profession soldiers knew all too well that the use of nuclear arms made only for ghastly uncertainties."
That's from Red Storm Rising.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2011, 09:40:04 pm »

Unless russia/china/whoever else took advantage of the chaos and pre-empitively launched nuclear weapons at US missle silos...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 11, 2011, 09:56:27 pm »

15 minute standby for current ICBM's, Ohio's are still pretty much untouchable. The third wing of the trifecta ain't all that ready, but Russia prepping their nukes is at least semi-noticeable. You first strike theory certainly leads to apocalypse (but once again, probably making the zombie apocalypse a minor thing, so we *would* accomplish the game's goal without metagaming. I guess).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 11, 2011, 11:01:18 pm »

Enough with the threats, strife. You aren't supposed to know about this yet. So talking about your 'expected' reaction, while effective at telling them it's a bloody stupid thing to do, doesn't matter, as Russia and al shabaab don't KNOW what America would do in response. Therefore, this is cheating. You're giving ic information ooc.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 11, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »

Guys, if you don't want your "enemies" to find about your plans and well, plan defences, use PMs. Send the results of the PM to me, and I'll make the turn after your all done planning.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2011, 12:21:17 am »

Enough with the threats, strife. You aren't supposed to know about this yet. So talking about your 'expected' reaction, while effective at telling them it's a bloody stupid thing to do, doesn't matter, as Russia and al shabaab don't KNOW what America would do in response. Therefore, this is cheating. You're giving ic information ooc.

Apologies. I got sidetracked speculating on what the right response *would* be to it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2011, 12:40:42 am »

Speaking of which - who're we waiting on?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:01 am »

Me, again. It's my study week, remember? Expect an update either on Friday or the weekend, and only if I don't take too long updating my other game.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2011, 01:20:06 am »

Ah, right.

... I should probably study.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2011, 03:21:53 am »

TURN 5

CLARIFICATION: IT TAKES AT LEAST 4 CREDITS TO SPEED UP A PROJECT. EVEN IF THE PROJECT HASN'T BEEN SPED UP ONCE.

United Kingdom

Money is spent to boost research.
A troop has been raised after much negotiation with the Opposition.

Project Jackal has been completed. There is now increased weaponry production and workers have been hired to keep these factories going. Your citizens however are rather angered at this militarization, (4) all though you have been able to lessen the impact via a long speech about protecting the Falklands. -2% morale

Stats
- 4 labs
- 6 credits per turn
- 78% morale

Credits: 6

Research Projects:
Project Dragoon: 29 turns
Project Sol: 12 turns

Australia

You decide to put all research and funding into Project Walker, until your reminded that Project Walker was completed on monday while you were busy getting drunk with your ministers.

With Project Walker completed, production is up by almost 70%. Unfortunately, a large number of people have become unemployed. -9% morale.

You spend another 2 credits on a troop.

You have received word of some strange disease in WA. What could it be?

STATS

- 7 labs
- 6 credits per turn
- 10 troops in Australia
- 71% morale

Credits: 12

Research Projects

Project Seastalker: 87 turns and 90 credits to fund.

Canada

You allow the construction of 2 labs, costing eight credits in total.

The economy has been improved.(5) You now have an extra 1 credit per turn, and the people are more confident in you. +4% morale

(4) Satellite parts are being built and imported without much fuss. -8 credits

Research begun on increasing the production of Athabasca oil sands.15 turns

Stats

- 11 labs (2 being constructed)
- 10 credits per turn
- 4 troop in Canada
- 1 troop in South America
- 87% morale

Credits: 1

Research Projects
Increase production: 15 turns

Russia

All the money in the treasury has been spent on increasing the economy. While useful, critics and your political rivals are starting to call you a fool, idealist, and a wallet with holes (in good russian idioms of course). -8% morale

You decree that 10 nukes should be produced. A good number of your advisors shriek and shout at you for that. You have a suspicion that some of them may leak the information...

Stats
-6 labs
- 2 Spy training centres
- 9 credits per turn
-17 troops in Russia
- 70% morale.

Credits: 36

Research Projects
Cossack Project: 4 turns

Mongolia

You spend some credits on constructing a lab, ( You can't afford two)

Your advisors are still requesting 3 credits to upgrade the country infrastructure.

(4) A rather seedy group of men have come to you offering their services. They will set up shop here in Mongolia and spy for you as long as you protect them from outside threats. Do you accept? (This will probably make Mongolia a competitive player in world politics;just remeber to PM me your espionage actions if you accept.).

Stats
- 2 credits per turn
- 2 troop in Mongolia
- 87& morale

Credits: 2

Research Projects
Wind Power: 4 turns

United States

The president has ordered two labs to be constructed. -8 credits
A new project, entitled Project Valve, has been opened up by the President. 19 turns.

Stats
- 12 labs (2 labs being constructed)
-2 spy training centres
-1 spy ready
- 12 credits per turn
- 4 troops in US
- 3 troops in Saudi Arabia
-7 troops in South America
- 79% morale

Credits: 10

Research Projects
Project Valve: 19 turns

Saudi Arabia

As part of your agenda, you have allowed the construction of a spy training centre, for later use. -4 credits

2 credits have been given as aid to Madagascar. (4) The information isn't all that good. The infected have been inside the capital again, and there are sightings in the south.

Two troops have been raised in fear of future attacks by pirates. -4 credits
Another two credits have been used to equipping your military with more modern weapons. -2 credits

Using your now strengthened army, you decide to take the fight to the pirate lands. (4+2) The Somalian government agrees without much fuss.

Three of your troops  land on the northern coast.(5) They soon find a large pirate stronghold filled to the brim with pirates. (3-1) However, the pirates have been banding together and joining forces ever since GGI started pillaging villages. (3-1) In fact, this village even has walls, turrets, and other defenses.

Meanwhile, another the remainder of your troops have surronded the pirate village that pushed back the GGI offensive. (1-1) Unluckily for you, these pirates are smart. They've updated their defenses, building barricades, walls, gates, heck they have a crude castle. They even have pikes and boiling oil or water; your troops can't tell from their position. Worse yet, they've made allies and equipped themselves with the GGI weaponry. Even their tactics seem sound!

Finally, you set up a new Project entitled Urbanization. You put 4 credits into it. 75 turns.

Stats
-2 labs
-1 spy training centre
- 7 credits per turn
- 5 troops in Saudi Arabia
-59% morale

Credits: 0

Research Projects:
Project Urbanization. 75 turns.

Scotland

2 Credits is insufficient for research boosts.
3 Credits is insufficient for research boosts.

Project Kame is complete. The training grounds are now complete.

Stats
- 4 labs
-1 training grounds in Ecuador
- 5 credits per turn
- 80% morale

Credits: 14

Research Projects:
Project Kame: 1 turns
Biogenic Alteration: 4 turns
Project Sol: 13 turns
Project: Elementa mirum 57 turns

Japan

Morale decrease due to tsunami. -12%

Stats
- 11 labs
-  10 credits per turn
-6% morale

Credits: -5

Research Projects
Project REX :24 turns

Organisations

Al-Shabaab

(2) Your existing positions are extremely weak; for the most part they could be dismantled a few hits. It will take time for them to be upgraded. Do you wish to spend credits to speed up the process?

(6) You gather a team to find out more of the disease in Madagascar. A goodly team have been sent off by ship. What they learn is horrifying. The disease has become extremely contagious; infected are attacking people everywhere and those who are bitten become one of them. Your men soon find out about the more intelligent infected. They lead groups and seem to communicate through gestures and scents. Recently, your men were ambushed by these infected. One of them were bitten, however, only he knows that. They are now heading back to Somalia. with an infected. On a ship. Right towards you.

8 credits is used to produce 4 troops.

(5) Your attacks on the UN supply lines are successful; some troops were forced to leave Somalia to rest. Some have died. 2 UN troops have left Somalia.

(3) You are able to get a suicide bomber into Somalia; however he does little damage. He manages to blow up a hovel or two.

Stats
- 1 credits per turn
-9 troops in Somalia

Research Projects

Grey Guard Industries

(1+1) You send a message to the president of Madagascar. He completely refuses your aid. Strange....

Stats
-1 lab being constructed
-1 credits per turn
-3 troop in Somalia.

Research Projects
Project Abacticus: 12 turns

Reaper Inc.

An organisation known as Reaper Inc. has been formed. No one as of yet knows where they are based or their goals. (Who ever wanted this organisation, please answer those questions and post actions)

Stats
-2 troops
-1 credits per turn

Credits: 6

Infection:

The Infection has spread beyond Madagascar and has changed tremendously. They have invaded Australia and other countries.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Yes, I know I should be studying, but I got bored...Anyway, back to the books. Will add in the rest later))
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:15:27 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2011, 03:51:16 am »

Oops, I didn't know the turn was already posted.  Here's my "official" action:

Russia

I cannot believe an attempt to make Russia richer was frowned upon.  Anyway, go on a PR campaign, to show that I am making progress.

On the nuclear information leak, I want a total crackdown on my advisors and and any other people who know about it.  Send a hundred Russian Jason Bourne(s) after them, NO ONE leaks this.  If the international community responds to this, tell the people and other countries ( player controlled and otherwise ) that it was a false rumor, send my BEST diplomats and public speakers to do the job. 

Continue boosting the economy, get jobs, get factories, and increase trade relations. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2011, 05:07:03 am »

done with update...
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2011, 05:12:37 am »

Australia

Spend 6 credits on Seastalker, Another 6 building more factories like the ones in project walker (These are to be run concurrent with existing factories).

Quarantine the entire area the disease was seen in. Nothing gets in or out. The navy gets orders to shoot any ships coming from madagascar, with the same order going out to the army and air force.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2011, 05:14:26 am »

oh yeah, never asked...were is greyguard industries located? in the depth of antartica, right? XD
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 12, 2011, 05:20:27 am »

oh yeah, never asked...were is greyguard industries located? in the depth of antartica, right? XD

Norway right now.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26