Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange Mood--Rock Bars??  (Read 2868 times)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood--Rock Bars??
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:20 pm »

Has someone heard of these before?? I have a dwarf screaming for rock bars.. and I have no idea what she is talking about.  Does anyone know how to go about making rock bars?  I don't want to wall her off.  So far, at least one dwarf in every migration goes straight to strange mood and I haven't had the industry to make their items.  But I masons I have plenty of. 
Playing since 2007

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood--Rock Bars??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »

It's rock blocks.

saker112

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:05:56 pm »

Metal bars should work, iirc.
I think we've gotten a little off-topic...
I think this perfectly illustrates how crazy dwarf fortress has made us.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

No, it's rock blocks. They'll call for metal bars when they want those.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »

Ah shoot. I was afraid of that.  I have about 20 different kinds.. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting.  she probably wants them out of the same rock she keeps screaming for.  Is there any way to figure out WHAT kind of rock? or is it all guess and check
Playing since 2007

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »

check what she's already collected with (t).  If there are any blocks in that, try to make more of the same
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 06:16:38 pm »

Are you sure? As I understood it, they would occasionally ask for rock bars and be satisfied with metal, due to how stone and metal are lumped together material-wise in to the INORGANIC template. I've always seen rock blocks being requested as rock blocks. /shrug

E: Wiki agrees. It'd still be nice for the OP to confirm, though, seeing as he already has the prerequisites for testing it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:18:24 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »

Rock bars are at least metal bars. They might be rock blocks as well, but the one time I had rock bars requested was in a young fort - checked the wiki, told me could be satisfy by metal bars. I smelted some limonite and my moody dwarf went to work.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 06:17:26 pm »

I believe that sometimes the dwarf will require the item to be made out of one of their preferred materials. Better hope that, if that's the case, you're embark has that specific type of rock. I may be wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere on the wiki...maybe.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:26 pm »

Dwarves never seem to care about their preferences.  If they like steel, they will grab steel if it's available, but they have no trouble grabbing -anything- available and using it.  I've never seen a dwarf turn away a material just because they didn't like the specific type.

Rock bars is referring to bars of metal.  It is.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31:58 pm »

Dwarves never seem to care about their preferences.  If they like steel, they will grab steel if it's available, but they have no trouble grabbing -anything- available and using it.  I've never seen a dwarf turn away a material just because they didn't like the specific type.

I thought this was true until about an hour ago. I had 90+ bars of steel and a couple bars of copper laying around with no burrows designated but my blacksmith kept demanding "Rock Bars" I got desperate and looked at his description and found out he likes bronze. Sure enough when I smelted bronze bars he ran right over. I've never seen this happen before.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:38:30 pm »

Only if they're fey or secretive, a possessed dwarf calls them rock.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 06:33:27 am »

It could be that the dwarf wants something else before they get the 'rock bars'. Make sure that you have surplus of EVERYTHING they're asking for - even if they've already collected some.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

It's rock blocks.

No, it's metal bars. If it was rock blocks, it would've said "rock blocks".

The whole reason it says "rock bars" is because they're requesting a BAR object of type INORGANIC:* (since STONE and METAL got merged into INORGANIC in 0.31), and the generic material name for INORGANIC:* is "rock". Secretive moods and possessions use special hardcoded strings for their demands ("shining bars of metal" and "bars... metal..."), so they show up correctly.

I thought this was true until about an hour ago. I had 90+ bars of steel and a couple bars of copper laying around with no burrows designated but my blacksmith kept demanding "Rock Bars" I got desperate and looked at his description and found out he likes bronze. Sure enough when I smelted bronze bars he ran right over. I've never seen this happen before.

It happens quite frequently, but only with moody metalworkers. It's strange, though, that he was asking for "rock bars" - usually, a fey mood dwarf states exactly what kind of bars they want (e.g. "I must have lay pewter bars!" or "I must have adamantine wafers!") if they've decided to be picky about it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 12:19:25 pm »

I have seen it happen, and it is incredibly frustrating to deal with.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.
Pages: [1] 2