Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Slavery - The (Not) Game  (Read 12540 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery - The Game
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »

That's not true. We've never played a game geared specifically towards enslaving others. Maybe enslaving slave traders and forcing them to do slave things could be fun. It's certainly unique.

Though, it also comes with the moral dilemma that these people are from a different time frame and don't even fully comprehend what they are doing. It's like a game where you massacre Aztecs because they sacrifice people.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2011, 07:06:39 pm »

Yeah, but judging by the trailer, if this existed, it would just be a browser game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2011, 07:09:27 pm »

I don't know... While it probably wouldn't make a full game (mind you I figured this would be a budget title at best) I can see there being fun gameplay there

The gameplay comes from attempting to play the economic game while at the same time fighting against the ramifications of slavery such as people raising arms against you.

By making your character a slave trader, you are condemning him to be a bastard

Yes that is sort of how games where you ARE the villain work most of the time. Such as Evil Genius, God of War, and a third example (I can't think of any... Both Legacy of Kain and Overlord you are just a hero who just happens to be playing the part of the villain)

However, in this non-existent slave game, in history terms, you'd just be a comma at best, the dot on an exclamation mark used by a person who hates you at worst. You won't even be remembered as the worst slave trader ever. They'll blame the society and the laws that created you, not you yourself.

Your ability to be a great slaver comes from how you exploit the world. Slave traders didn't go to locations pick up slaves at the slave depo and deport them. They were a bit more proactive then that.

You would be a great villain by massacreing villages and stealing their populous. Pretending to be friendly traders, then killing them.

There are plenty of famous slavers. MIND you, they are more famous for just outright killing people then for being particularly skilled slavers.

You'll make the best (noun) ever and always be remembered

Except SimLife, SimEarth, SimSafari, Flight Sim >_>

You will always be brought to justice in the end, and made to pay for your crimes against humanity

What? Heck no. Slavery was wide spread for a VERY long period of time (heck it still happens today). Who is bringing you to justice? is there some sort of benevolent diety on the high seas that I am unaware of?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:40 pm »

Yeah, that was a stupid post.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »

Wow... If it was actually educational I'd be fine with it, but the commercial sounded too pro-slavery for my tastes.
Especially when they spoke about beating them with whips and stuff as if it was cool, and normal.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »

And apparently shooting the slave with a rifle.

Or rifle butting him.

I wasn't sure which.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »

Wow... If it was actually educational I'd be fine with it, but the commercial sounded too pro-slavery for my tastes.
Especially when they spoke about beating them with whips and stuff as if it was cool, and normal.

Wow how I am happy I didn't have audio on

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2011, 11:25:13 pm »

I personally think this is trolling since the video didn't look like that much of a finished game.
And the narrator sounded a bit too weird, even for a weird-themed game like this.
It really looks and sounds as if it was fake.

But if it's indeed true, I can only lol at it. I could chop an humans leg and throw it in his own children, embedding it in their face, on DF..but I'm  not into choosing the most efficient method of discipline for slaves and this kind of crap.
And in the end it would be more boring than playing East India Company, that gave me fun for some hours and then I uninstalled it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2011, 01:00:17 am »

Wow how I am happy I didn't have audio on
Oh man you have to have the audio on. They don't actually say anything more than discipline them and exploit them, in that regards, but the narrator is amazing. The ending is gold, too: "Slavery.. THE GAAAAAAAAME!"

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 01:08:26 am »

I really don't see what's wrong with this. I've been able to do worse in games. I've played dwarf fortress dammit!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:21 am »

Really, this is just computerized Puerto Rico.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2011, 01:06:47 pm »

This actually has a tiny bit of potential if they set it in an era where slave trading didn't mean shoving them into the hold, trying to not catch any of the diseases down there yourself, then throwing them all out on the far side of the ocean, like the classical antiquity.

Play as a Spartiate and fight wars with your helots, then have your perioiki write poems about how you totally did all that yourself!
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:15 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is not comparable to a slavery game. One of them is based on real world events...
While I realize you can be very brutal to people in many games, It's usually not based on actul things.
Still my main problem is that thy try to make slavery sound cool.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is not comparable to a slavery game. One of them is based on real world events...
While I realize you can be very brutal to people in many games, It's usually not based on actul things.
Still my main problem is that thy try to make slavery sound cool.

What does the fact that it's based on reality have to do with why it's different morally than the other games?

I would like to point out that just recently there was a thread in this forums about imprisoning young dwarf children into tiny rooms for around a dozen years with vicious animals until they become super soldiers.

I don't think the problem is with whether or not a game is based on reality or not, it's whether or not the people playing it can consciously make the distinction that what they are doing is playing a game. There's nothing wrong with people who play a slavery game and people who toss babies down a chute into the militia training room in DF because (presumably) they know they are playing a game.

Whenever I play 4X games the choices I make are more or less that of a genocidal galactic imperialist, more importantly most of these games encourage you to be one as the other options aren't exactly all that fun. Whether or not it is based on real events doesn't have any sway of the issue of me glassing over a planet because it happens to be a different colour than my planets.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »

Boring...

Slavery, as potential game mechanic, is rather massive. Imagine your favorite rts or even rpg, now add the ability to capture and morally break the enemy, forcing his troops and men to work for you. Imagine units of warriors made from captured soldiers, driving them into the enemy army before your real troops, imagine completely free meat shields.

Imagine your elfen Archers shot into the melee between one tribe of orcs and another, that you caused! Imagine infecting a troll with all the illneeses you can find and then driving him towards the enemy camp with whips, his self regeneration powers the only thing keeping it moving.

Imagine beating and then enslaving a Dragon as your personal mount! Make the enemy commander your grunt and champion...

Or meet a enemy army in battle and with smart flanking... unleash there slave! Kill the mage controlling them, or the slave Master, see how there own weapons turn on them!

But noooo...
^
I would play this... or at least give it a good try out.  If the gameplay sucks, I'll drop it.

Always wanted there to be some sort of 'slavery' mechanics in my games.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9