Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In a quest to get a swimming pool working  (Read 1413 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
In a quest to get a swimming pool working
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:12 am »

I'm trying to create a machine to create a swimming pool.

Hatch covers cannot open if the space above is full of water. I assume that means 7/7.

Basically, it works as follows:

Z-level 0

(+= floor, W=wall, R= river or other water source, H= hatch)
Code: [Select]
RW++++H+H+
RW++++H+H+
RW++++H+H+
RF++++H+H+
RW++++H+H+
RW++++H+H+
RW++++H+H+

Z-level -1 is simply covered with pressure plates. Set all the pressure plates to n/7 water. Then, because water isn't filling up over the hatches- simply flowing over them- the hatches will be open when the pressure plate directly below doesn't have enough water, but can then close when they do have enough water. Once all the plates are under 4/7 water, all the hatches will close.

I'm going to test this, but has anybody else done this before?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: In a quest to get a swimming pool working
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:31 am »

Hatch covers cannot open if the space above is full of water. I assume that means 7/7.

That isn't even remotely true.  Where did you hear that it was?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:31 am »

Why don't you just make a filling chamber.
A x*4 chamber filled with water should fill a x*7 pool to 4/7. Where x is some rational number.
Put the filling chamber above the pool, maybe with a bridge for a floor so all the water falls at once, to prevent evaporation.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »

Definitely not true as Sphalerite says. I use hatches to drop pressurized water on things all the time.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:08 pm »

As mentioned just yesterday, a very easy way to fill a chamber to swimming depth is to have a 4xN chamber, and a 7xN chamber.  Fill the 4 to 7/7, and then empty it into the 7, creating a perfectly smooth 4/7 water depth across 7 tiles.  Scale as needed, using 8 and 14, 12 and 21, etc.  There are countless other ways, of course, but this is a very simple and straightforward one that can be cobbled together in less than a year.

And hatches always open if they're triggered.  To my knowledge, nothing at all is capable of jamming a hatch, not even a dragonfly corpse or a titan standing on it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:14:57 pm »

As mentioned just yesterday,
By you ;D
a very easy way to fill a chamber to swimming depth is to have a 4xN chamber, and a 7xN chamber.  Fill the 4 to 7/7, and then empty it into the 7, creating a perfectly smooth 4/7 water depth across 7 tiles.  Scale as needed, using 8 and 14, 12 and 21, etc.  There are countless other ways, of course, but this is a very simple and straightforward one that can be cobbled together in less than a year.
From your posts in the other thread I thought that your chambers were horizontally adjacent, but this
And hatches always open if they're triggered.  To my knowledge, nothing at all is capable of jamming a hatch, not even a dragonfly corpse or a titan standing on it.
shows that you mean to build the chambers on top of each other. Don't forget that the whole floor of the smaller chamber must retract at once, otherwise some 1/7 water will be left to evaporate.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:25 pm »

The wiki.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »

I usually use vertical water drops, due to evaporation and drainage issues, not to mention dwarf issues.  The average dwarf will lock himself into the 4 wide fill chamber.  If it's vertical, they can jump all they want, but they're not getting stuck.  And yes, 4 hatches to drop water is ideal.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 04:36:12 pm »

The wiki.

Where on the wiki?  That should be corrected, it's wrong.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »

I see zero mention of anything like that at all anywhere on the wiki.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

I see zero mention of anything like that at all anywhere on the wiki.

That's because I just found and removed the erroneous note from the 'DF2010:Hatch Cover' page.