Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roll to Change the Genre: TURN 1 (Current Genre: FANTASY)  (Read 2893 times)

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Change the Genre: TURN 1 (Current Genre: FANTASY)
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:04:02 am »

Hello, most excellent baytwelvites -- I am here to present you with an RTD that will provide frequent shifts in atmosphere, flavor, and setting. Mechanics, too, shall shift, as genres change as leaves brown as autumn nears. As this is not Roll to Simile, however, I shall linger not and provide the rules for your gentlemanly perusal:

Every three turns, a player may opt to Genre Shift rather than take an action. They must specify a genre (any genre!) and then 2d6 are rolled. Depending on the result, the genre (and world/environment) will undergo a change. Truthfully, an alternative title may be "Roll to Shift Realities" -- your exploits in one 'genre' are temporarily put on pause until your return.

Spoiler: Genre Roll (click to show/hide)

Beyond this, typical RTD rules apply. 1d6 is rolled for actions, 1 being some sort of horrible failure and 6 being an overshot of immense proportions. Equipment or acquired skills may affect the roll, and overshots above 8 are potentially reality-breaking.

Spoiler: FLAVOR (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Player list:
1. dermonster (Derm)
2. lawastooshort (GzkGzk)
3. Sinpwn (Sinclair)
4. MrBrown (James)

Waiting list:
1. micelus (Sam)
2. EMPTY
3. UNFILLED
4. AVAILABLE
5. NO ONE HERE
6. UNCLAIMED

FREE ACTIONS AND BOLD ACTIONS
Free actions, such as asking questions and picking up items, should be written in italics. These will be given results almost immediately. Meanwhile, actions which are bolded will be rolled for. Only one bold action can be taken per turn.

GAME MECHANICS UNLOCKED: 1/??
Spoiler: Conversation (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:22:28 pm by Nilum »
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre (Now in signups! -- 0/4)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:06:06 am »

Sounds interesting. In.

Name: Derm
Biography: 5'11'  Pale. Brown hair, Green eyes.
Reason for recruitment: Inventiveness.
Preferred Starting Genre: Fantasy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:10:11 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre (Now in signups! -- 1/4)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:38 am »

Also in, please.

Name: GzkGzk
Biography: GzkGzk is the diminutive shaman from a small tribe in Papua New Guinea. He has guided his people to the best of his abilities for as long as the tribe can remember, and is a deadly shot with a blowpipe.
Reason for recruitment: Outdoor skills and ability to travel in the spirit world.
Preferred Starting Genre: Historical
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:33:26 am by lawastooshort »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre (Now in signups! -- 2/4)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 01:15:38 am »

in

Name: Sinclair
Biography: Dark gray hair. red feline eyes. red glowing runes covering body. 6'1. A chaos sorcerer who has become functionally unaging as a side effect of magical radiation.
Reason for recruitment: Tenacity, Adaptability and talent with magic.
Preferred Starting Genre: Fantasy
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:24:34 am by Sinpwn »

MrBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre (Now in signups! -- 3/4)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:52:54 am »

Hey there! I'm in!
Name: James
Biography: Brown hair, medium length, wavy. Um...large, I guess. Not muscular, but not flab, just large. Like, tall, and built like a brick wall, but instead of brick I mean steel. And wearing jeans. Yes, jeans. Ooh, and a bright green t-shirt! Plus, I'm giving me a claymore, for fun.
Reason for Recruitment: Hand-to-hand combat, weaponry, blowing stuff up.
Preferred Starting Genre: Fantasy

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre (Now full! Waiting list: activate)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:40:49 am »

Excellent, everyone's in. It's rather late where I am, so I suppose I'll roll for the genre, let the ideas gestate, and then when I wake up I'll write the turn.

Drum roll, please...

{3}. As Sinpwn was the third player to signup, we will be going with his choice of initial genre -- Fantasy. How suitably droll!

Just, as a sidenote, the genres listed in the main post are not the only genres you can choose from -- really, you can choose anything you can think of. Those were just the most common/generic RTD genres I could think up. "Vaudeville silent film" would be entirely possible. Though um, perhaps not conducive toward gaining the GM's favor.

Regardless, expect a turn in 12 hours or less!
Ridiculous.  All that it is to be human can be summarised by friendship, love or mecha.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:31:08 am »

Most interesting...Just put me on the waiting list.

Name: Sam
Biography: Sam was not always Sam. Sam is simply one of many faces, one of many personas used by this...man. He can appear as a man of blonde hair, blue eyes, and overwhemling with fat but appear as a long-haired pretty boy the next day. He was created for espionage, but for reasons unknown, he ended up being used to explore the multiple realities.
Reason for recruitment: His ability to change his physical looks and his persuasiveness.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:03:59 pm »

TURN 0
"Let's try for a reality with magic. With dragons. With wizards and kings," says Sinclair, his eyes glimmering slightly in the light.
"Agreed."

"I want a historical setting. It is where I am most exp--" starts GzkGzk, but he is quickly cut off as the PMRSI on the group's wrists revs up. With a flash, they find themselves briefly disoriented. A wretched feeling resonates through their bodies followed by a bout of intense dizziness. When they regain their senses, they find themselves in a small pub.

GENRE SHIFT! NEW GENRE: FANTASY

The hustle and bustle grinds to a halt as four oddly uniformed strangers appear out of nowhere.

With a bit of a laugh, a dwarf in the corner resumes his drinking. The rest of the pub soon follows. A gruffy bartender leans over the counter, speaking in a rather inviting tone. His auburn, regal sideburns menace.
"So what'll you folk be havin' today?"

PIPIPI. PIPIPI. PIPIPI.
The PMRSIs light up. A message is being received. It reads:
"OBJECTIVE: SAVE THE VILLAGE OF SILVERHEDGE FROM DESTRUCTION"

This is apparently all the information you have to work with.
Spoiler: Group Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: James (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sinclair (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GzkGzk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Derm (click to show/hide)

NEW GAME MECHANIC UNLOCKED: CONVERSATION.
Spoiler: Conversation (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Change the Genre: TURN 0 (Current Genre: FANTASY)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:20:20 pm »

Derm leans over the counter. "We'll have some information. As you can see, following a decidedly odd accident, we have appeared out of nowhere in your tavern. I would like to find out what country we are in, details of the surrounding land, and anything else you might think important."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:45 pm »

"Well my good man, I could use some vodka, but it seems I left my coins in my, uh... other suit. tell you what, you serve us some drinks and information and we'll help out around the town. Do you have anything that needs doing? A monster to kill? Some bandits causing trouble? we can do that." The sorcerer asks as he takes stock of the tavern, hopefully his appearance won't give anyone the wrong idea of his alignment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:38:04 pm by Sinpwn »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:04:38 pm »

GzkGzk's head barely reaches over the counter, so he walks over to the dwarf in the corner and asks him if he has any news. Where is the village of Silverhedge? Is it where we have appeared? He explains that we have been sent here by unknown forces.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:08:59 pm by lawastooshort »

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »

Derm leans over the counter. "We'll have some information. As you can see, following a decidedly odd accident, we have appeared out of nowhere in your tavern. I would like to find out what country we are in, details of the surrounding land, and anything else you might think important."

The bar tender raises an eyebrow.
"We don't see many wizards in this part. How far have ye come? Ceylagur? Whatever the case, yer in Merconia now. Moorwall, to be specific. The capital's just a few hour's walk down the road to the north. I suggest ye stay out of the woods, it's been plagued with weremonsters of all sorts recently. And keep quiet about your wizardry. Us folk are simple people. The road to the south leads to Silverhedge and Silverlake. Haven't 'eard from them in a few weeks now."

"Well my good man, I could use some vodka, but it seems I left my coins in my, uh... other suit. tell you what, you serve us some drinks and information and we'll help out around the town. Do you have anything that needs doing? A monster to kill? Some bandits causing trouble? we can do that."
The bartender turns to face Sinclair.
"Sorry, but we don't serve freeloaders. Git out or cough up some coin. Ye best be on your way, strangers. Lingering wizards draw attention we don't need."

GzkGzk, meanwhile, heads off toward the dwarf, perhaps striking a note with the similarly-statured individual.
The dwarf slams his mug of ale down on the table, narrowing his eyes at GzkGzk.
"What have we here? An emaciated dwarf? Har, har, har. Tell you what, friend. Buy me a round of drinks and I'll tell you all about Silverhedge."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:20:03 pm by Nilum »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 03:12:56 pm »

I wanted to speak to the dwarf, but it probably doesn't matter.

Should we just get going to the South do you think? Although it seems perhaps rash to go with no equipment or anything. Perhaps we should look for some. I could do with a knife.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:15:53 pm by lawastooshort »

Nilum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »

I wanted to speak to the dwarf, but it probably doesn't matter.

Should we just get going to the South do you think? Although it seems perhaps rash to go with no equipment or anything...
Ah, terribly sorry. I'll update the main post.
Also, from now on: actions in italic are taken as 'free actions' and will be given results immediately. Bolded actions are actions that are rolled for. You can only take one bold action each turn.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 03:25:25 pm »

I find it odd that the barkeep wouldn't want help with a "weremonster" problem, oh well.

Not giving the dwarf a second glance, Sinclair walks out of the tavern, sits down in an out of the way area and begins to meditate. He tries to tap into this world's magical powers, be it ley lines, dark gods or even something greater.
Pages: [1] 2