Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Pet Ghosts  (Read 24910 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Ghosts
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2011, 06:09:39 am »

Yes it would.
Party ghosts.
That is all.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:40 am »

where's the ‼FUN‼ in that? i'd rather mod violent ghosts to lurk around their bodies, so i can place their coffins where i have my traps now - and watch as goblins have thier limbs stolen.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:19 am »

Exactly how dangerous is it to keep around a ghost who does nothing but kick peoples asses?
Extremely. I once had my whole fort collapse due to one ghost mutilating my whole military, causing tantrum spirals.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:12 am »

Have we seen any evidence on what supports certain ghost types?  If I want a ghostly museum, and have a dozen pleasant and polite ghosts standing around, is there a way to best achieve this?

The Clothier #6 and #7 are all violent ghosts and they were all killed in a berserk rage. There aren't enough known variables to make a statistical prediction but it's very likely that a berserk dwarfs bad mood can transcend death itself. The one who just stands there right over where his corpse should be was melancholy but the other melancholy dwarf is stalking people so that may not be a direct connection.

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2011, 03:43:22 pm »

this ghost science seems insane. when i have time i'm going to finish catching up with what your doing, but for now i would just like to say i have never had a ghost kill a dwarf. and my last fortress was filled with dwarven ghosts (at one point i had 3 ghosts for every dwarf), so my ghosts are constantly beating and stalking people. and the majority of them died in a tantrum spiral, so i think that if ghosts could kill, they would be the ones killing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2011, 03:58:57 pm »

Ghosts will certainly kill.  Either the "scared to death" very disappointing insta-death or the removal of limbs causing bleedout.

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2011, 05:32:37 pm »

they can remove limbs? what? and then why are do none of my dwarves get scared to death?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2011, 06:03:22 pm »

The limbs thing is likely the Angriest of the ghosts, who just goes around murdering people.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »

"Violent" ghosts attack dwarves, limb removal seems to be the most common but they can also break limbs or inflict deep cuts or bruising. Removing limbs is done in such a way that they don't bleed out or get infected but it's entirely possible for them to inflict cuts on the throat or head resulting in eventual or immediate death.

"Murderous" ghosts kill dwarves by scaring them to death, I haven't seen this first hand so I'm going off of wiki data that I haven't personally scienced.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2011, 10:48:48 am »

9 Granite 209 Chirpactetd

We have assigned one of the haulers to follow the ghost of Deprecorvox and report on his behavior. He continues to stalk the miner day and night. We have now confirmed his ability to pass vertically through solid stone. Though this cannot easilly be weaponized it completely rules out any possibility of defense against ghosts.

Also 3 dimensional pathfinding that ignores all phsyical boundaries sounds like it may have FPS ramifications.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:18 pm »

Someone was suggesting in this thread that ghosts may not do anything to dwarves they had no relation to.

From what I've seen: in a fresh reclaim, of the starting seven - 1 dwarf wes battered (one was dragging his guts behind him I believe) and 1 killed by ghost that has risen before the fortress was abanadoned. Another dwarf was battered by a ghost that died prior to reclaim, but risen after the new 7 got there.

To me this implies that any kind of relationship is not necessary for violent ghosts to pick their targets. Still, it does not mean there cannot be some kind of preference in targets.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2011, 12:06:45 pm »

Also 3 dimensional pathfinding that ignores all phsyical boundaries sounds like it may have FPS ramifications.

Actually, I think it would have less of a hit on FPS. A lot of what causes path finding causes problems because it has to find a traversal-able path. By allowing the path finding algorithm to skip the part where it checks if the path is walkable, you actually skip half of that pass of the algorithm. You will also probably cut the number of passes through the algorithm down as well.

The reason flying normally lowers FPS is because it has more possibilities, but the same number of restrictions as walking to check. Ghosts, however have lots of possibilities, but no restrictions.

Granted, this is based on what I know about pathing and I have no idea how Toady did it in his code.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2011, 06:12:08 pm »

My 2 cents on ghost behavior: I've gotten the "<item> is missing, X must be to blame" message several times, but only for a ghostly child. They seemed to mostly go for toy items (the two examples I remember were a scepter and a toy axe). That was just one ghost, though.

As far as I know, ghosts are considered to be an FPS hit, probably because they have so many possibilities. It's not necessarily the number of restrictions on pathing that's the FPS problem, but the number of calculations required to determine a path. Ghosts have so many more calculations than other beings that it's an FPS hit.

That's just what I suspect, though. Not confirmed by anything.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »

The ghost lag issue was more-or-less completely resolved in a recent update.  I think .19 was the one that made ghosts stable.  In .18 a single ghost would cause ENORMOUS lag spikes.  Now, you can have 2 dozen and not notice.  Ghost science has been lacking simply because science was formerly impossible.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »

Ghosts will certainly kill.  Either the "scared to death" very disappointing insta-death or the removal of limbs causing bleedout.
Super late response but interestingly enough with all the dismemberment I have never had a dwarf bleedout from limb removal. The wound doesn't actually seem to bleed when it's a direct amputation. Throat slicing on the other hand behaves exactly as you would expect it to, leaving a huge trail of blood that will eventually lead to a very dead dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10