Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Pet Ghosts  (Read 24927 times)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Ghosts
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »

Broseph, start sacrificing peasents to Armok, master of the FPS.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »

Broseph, start sacrificing peasents to Armok, master of the FPS.
I have it capped at 53, I'm murdering all the pets I can without starting a spiral. I'm going to start using DF destroy to get rid of our food stockpiled. There's no way that could work out poorly!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »

Who cares about Tantrum Spirals? MURDER 'EM ANYWAY!
Just make sure that you keep the MILITARY pets, and a few CIVILIAN pets alive.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2011, 02:26:17 pm »

19 Hematite 208

The Metalsmith has risen. Her first act was to topple a masterwork statue of her own construction. Is this ghost targeting the things she created in life? Deserves more stufy.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »

If there's something strange
In your fortress halls
Who're you gonna call?
Urist-Busters!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2011, 04:11:47 am »

This testing isn't as clear as I'd like, it'll just take too much time and effort to figure out what the ghosts can do, who they target, and how these ghosts affect other dwarves and potentially non-dwarven creatures.  We really should just ask Toady about this.  I know it ruins the !!!SCIENCE!!! but if we're really that desperate for answers, bring it to the maker.  But yeah, continue testing, I wanna see what happens. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2011, 04:14:14 am »

Toady isn't going to give a straight answer.  The joy isn't in the answer, it's in the depravity of finding out.  ‼Science‼ is not all-caps, and does not have 3 exclamation points.  It, in fact, uses the unicode character Alt+19 for ‼ to designate a double-exclamation as a single character.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2011, 02:24:30 pm »

14 Limestone 208 Chirpacted

Three dead, more mangled, military strength failing. It's become apparent that Violent Ghosts make poor pets. The Clothier is more aggressive than we had ever anticipated and even the ghosts that have taken to passively following are becoming fairly irritating. The only exception to the general awfulness of our haunted fortress is the ghastly wood burner who continues to stand silently in the caverns. He has yet to accost any dwarves or make a nuisance of himself, since his rising he has stood in one spot never flinching. Some of the miners think he's holding them safe from harm as they delve deeper to bring up more iron for the steel works. It is still unclear what is motivating the spirits to rise when they do, the metalsmith had scarecly begun to rot by the time she rose but most of the subjects are content to fester in a heap.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2011, 04:47:45 am »

Yeah, I was wondering if you actually had any practical use for these ghosts once the testing was done, apparently, they're too unstable for that. 

Updates, please. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2011, 05:59:09 am »

14 Sandstone 208 Chirpacted
Portalis has risen and announced her presence by bruising the heart of a cheese maker. A few observations;
Energetic Ghosts: The Metalsmith, so far been no inconvenience. Her knocking over of furniture has an almost playful air.
Forlorn Ghosts: The Dyer, perhaps because of the secluded nature of his place of death he seems completely harmless. He has in all this time declined to interact with any object or person in any significant way. More of a mascot than anything else.
Wailing Ghosts: Deprecorvox and company. Stalking one individual and causing them unhappiness has been less serious than the charge would suggest given the generally high spirits of our fortress.
Violent Ghosts: More aggressive than previously hypothesized, our military is functioning at half capacity and the hospital is frequently troubled by admittances whenever the Mad Clothier or subjects #3 and #7 begin to hunt. It's been firmly established that they are easilly capable of murder but the exact mechanism by which they select their targets is still unknown.

I'm stuck with a decidedly undwarven creativity block, I have a fortress full of ghosts and I have no idea how to make that a good thing. Any ideas on how to fill this problem with magma and kill goblins with it?

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2011, 10:51:48 am »

Great, all we need to do now is deduce who his targets are.

This is the dorfiest game of Clue ever.  Colonel Urist.  In the craftdwarf's workshop.  With the rock pot.

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2011, 11:01:24 am »

I'm stuck with a decidedly undwarven creativity block, I have a fortress full of ghosts and I have no idea how to make that a good thing. Any ideas on how to fill this problem with magma and kill goblins with it?

Speaking of goblins..  perhaps a sealed room of them would be useful?  See if the ghosts ever wander over to attack them.  Not sure it is possible, but having two groups, one control and one you manage to path through any remaining Mad Clothier blood (should any be available), might be a bonus.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:18 am »

^

Carving out a seperate, sealed living area for goblins would be a good experiment ; especially around the areas the violent ghosts tend to prefer.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »

I forget if this has already been suggested, but try checking the deceased's relationships for grudges?
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2011, 02:10:25 pm »

I forget if this has already been suggested, but try checking the deceased's relationships for grudges?
I actually tailored the experiment so that none of the participants had any relationships. The Clothier wasn't part of the test group but I worked him so hard he didn't have any relationshps either.
^

Carving out a seperate, sealed living area for goblins would be a good experiment ; especially around the areas the violent ghosts tend to prefer.

That's one of the problems, the violent ghosts never move except for when they decide to kill and then they go wherever their target is even if it's across the fort and across multiple z levels. I've never been able to witness the moment of attack so I don't know how they even get there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10