Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Pet Ghosts  (Read 24906 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Ghosts
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2011, 09:27:06 am »

Another crackpot theory is that he's being attracted to his own blood, I have very little evidence to support it but every time he attacks the person has spatters of his blood on their clothing.

Possible. Try covering a dwarf with the blood of a melancholy/otherwise peaceful ghost and see if they follow.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:21 am »

That would be cool, the blood attracts the spirit. 

Where can we take this?  Are the ghosts capable of attacking non dwarves? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2011, 09:32:51 am »

Dwarven experimentation like this is awesome, Toady should make a child board just for !!!SCIENCE!!! like this. 

I think I put up a vote for a stickied thread, but most people said no.

Anyway, this is awesome!

May I recommend testing the effects of family ties on a ghost? Have a father/mother who goes berserk killed by their child/partner. This would also help determine the revenge factor.
I had the chance to do something similar but decided against it for the sake of purity. My mechanic's pet was accidentally slated for slaughter and he immediately bit his lover in the hand, got kicked in the skull hard enough to do nerve damage, and went insane right before he suffocated. If I get the chance I'll set something more rigorous up, I'll drive a few wives or husbands insane and have their spouses assigned to a special squad just to kill them.

That would be cool, the blood attracts the spirit. 

Where can we take this?  Are the ghosts capable of attacking non dwarves? 
I have no idea, right now it looks like most of the Fun is reserved for the fortress, even if they could mangle a goblin or two they still may target people they knew.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2011, 10:30:00 am »

20 Limestone 207

The Mad Clothier attacked again. The Commander has had his right upper leg broken. The odds of selecting the same dwarf from a group of 54 twice by sheer chance are about .00034% It is now VERY likely he is choosing his targets deliberately.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2011, 10:45:06 am »

Great, all we need to do now is deduce who his targets are.  Assign any potential targets ( mostly people he's attacked before ) into their own personal lab cells rooms, and if he attacks all of them, or even most of them, my guess is your right. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:12 am »

I suggest you lock one bloodspattered dorf someplace and then decontaminate every other dorf, to see if the Mad Clothier now attacks the bloodied one exclusively.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

I suggest you lock one bloodspattered dorf someplace and then decontaminate every other dorf, to see if the Mad Clothier now attacks the bloodied one exclusively.

This is a good idea.  We're all about deduction now.  Narrowing down any pre-meditated victims of the Mad Clothier will help this experiment greatly, and potentially allow you to replicate it. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 11:20:26 am »

I've begun forcing the dwarves through a decontamination pool save one. The military dwarves aren't cooperating but I don't want to disband them even temporarily because I still want to see if they're going after the military guys.

As I wrote that #3 Districtus rose and began following a miner.

edit: The miner he follows is the one who was bitten by her lover directly before he was stomped to the point of insanity and death. He was depressed but not insane when he was killed, he didn't know the miner he may be drawn to her loss.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:25:19 am by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 12:04:22 pm »

24 Moonstone 207 Chirpacted

Two more attacks, Subject 6 assaulted a miner about the stomach and the man began vomitting. This is arguably the most mild attack thusfar, the only incident was the miner ruining several barrels of perfectly good booze. The Mad Clothier attacked again, once again a member of the military. Almost half of our professional archers are now wounded. Inspection of the mans clothing reveals spatters of the clothiers blood. It's becoming incredibly unlikely that these attacks are random and may be more targeted than initially expected.

I refuse to believe that Toady programmed ghosts to hunt people using their blood as laser paint but this is getting spooky.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 12:21:44 pm »

9 Opal 207 Chirpacted

Subjet #6 cut the throat of our beloved metalsmith/sniper who was a master of essentially everything. This is the first actual death caused by a ghost. The smith will not be buried, we desire to see the behavior of a ghost killed by another ghost.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 12:25:03 pm »

Hrm, have you ensured the blood is not being added BY the ghost attacks?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

Hrm, have you ensured the blood is not being added BY the ghost attacks?

I don't think so, the slaying was in a high traffic area and most of the blood is on their shoes so it's more likely they stepped in it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »

15 Obsidian 208
A pigeon landed in a weapon trap and exploded into 7 pieces, it's irrelevant to testing but it was funny as hell.

18 Obsidian 208
We murdered a scavenger diplomat, the trade liason rose and we're now interest in whether or not this abillity is exclusively dwarven.

24 Granite 208
The Mad Clothier drew blood, it's unclear how but he killed an archer, again a member of the military but his clothes did not bear any trace of his blood.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 01:39:56 pm »

Has the Clothier ever attacked anyone from a squad formed after his death? Has he ever attacked any veterans no longer serving in the military, but who were serving at the time of his death (if there are any who apply)?

Maybe you should backup your save and remove everyone from the army bar one dwarf, to see if he gets all the Clothier's attention.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 01:45:12 pm »

Has the Clothier ever attacked anyone from a squad formed after his death? Has he ever attacked any veterans no longer serving in the military, but who were serving at the time of his death (if there are any who apply)?

Maybe you should backup your save and remove everyone from the army bar one dwarf, to see if he gets all the Clothier's attention.
I have four squads, professional archer, professional swordsman, auxiliary archer and auxillary swordsman. All four were called to kill the clothier and all four have been victimized. One thing I considered was that he was targetting the people who actually entered brawl that killed him him. That would explain the blood connection, they were splattered with blood when his head came off. I'm going to try that idea but it's getting hard to continue, my FPS is falling way too low.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10