Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Pet Ghosts  (Read 24901 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Pet Ghosts
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:20 am »

Dwarves which are 'quick to anger' are actually highly resistant to becoming miserable.  They throw tantrums at any provocation, and starting fights or smashing things improves their mood enough that they don't go insane.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:08 am »

22 Obsidian 206 Chirpacted

Subject 7 finally succumbed to testing and flew into a berserk rage. Removing the food and drink from her chambers gave her nothing to throw when she threw a fit there was no outlet for her anger and her mood did not recover. With the seven subjects dead there should be sufficient data to study their ghostly behavior should they rise, if they are anything like the Mad Clothier it may be quite some time. On another note the validity of ghosts as training aids has come into question, neither the fish dissector nor the captain experienced any change in their fighting ability from their encounters and the fact that the captain was greivously wounded suggests risks well outweigh the benefits. This has not discouraged testing and the standing dead are to remain unburied.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 09:40:35 am »

7 Granite 207 Chirpacted

While the ghosts of the test group have yet to rise the Mad Clothier has struck again. This time he tore the arm from the militia commander and again began standing silently after the deed this time with his body phasing through a wall. This proves that ghosts are able to become intangible but at the same time raises a series of new questions. All three attacks have been within twenty urists of the site of his death begging the question exactly how closely is he bound to the area. But most importantly  was this random? First the Fish Dissector who serves as a swordsman in the primary infantry unit was attacked, then the Militia Captain of the primary archer unit, then the Militia Commander himself. Three things become immediately obvious; One, the specter may be targetting the military deliberately. Two, that he may be targetting dwarves by rank. And Three All of these men were sent to kill him.  While he hasn't attacked the recruit who happened to strike the death blow it may be possible that he remembers who came for his life. Testing proves problematic by the very unscientific nature of his execution and it's unclear who arrived in time to attack him but it's wholly possible that these three men actively took part in the slaying. Had this revelation come earlier the test subjects would have been killed by military and not mechanical means. All data on the mad clothier is contaminated and hazy at best.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 10:30:39 am »

23 Granite 207 Chirpacted

It's unknown exactly when it happened but Subject #4 has risen. He was casually noticed without having interacted with a dwarf. While on the surface he appears no different than the Mad Clothier something about his demeanor is vastly dissimilar. There is no malignance in him but a profound sadness, he stands directly over where he fell as if waiting for something. More as it transpires.

4 Slate 207 Chirpacted

Subject #6 has risen, again it's hard to pinpoint when but he announced his presence by ripping the right arm off of an archer. This attack unlike the ones perpetrated by the Mad Clothier was FAR away from the site of his demise. Very few people frequent the caverns, is it possible that he ignored the engravers and traveled to the surface in order to target a military dwarf? This suggests that the Clothier may not be targetting the military because they killed him but for the simple fact they are military. With this much data on the attacks its' also become apparent that the exact mechanism of dismemberment is not natural. While there is blood the wound does not continue to bleed after the attack. If a technique could be devised to protect certain areas of the body from harm this may be an excellent method for amputation of infected limbs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:35:18 am by Broseph Stalin »

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

Dang, I was hoping all the test subjects would stay near the site of death.  I was going to construct the perfect goblin ambush detector via the carefully controlled murder of useless citizenry, on the completely unfounded assumption that ghosts reveal ambushes.  Maybe melancholy ghosts don't wander?  I was hoping for a ghostly watchman that could pack a punch, though.  Goblins would tremble at the mere mention of the spectral guard.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 10:42:40 am »

Dang, I was hoping all the test subjects would stay near the site of death.  I was going to construct the perfect goblin ambush detector via the carefully controlled murder of useless citizenry, on the completely unfounded assumption that ghosts reveal ambushes.  Maybe melancholy ghosts don't wander?  I was hoping for a ghostly watchman that could pack a punch, though.  Goblins would tremble at the mere mention of the spectral guard.
So far the berserk ghosts won't move until they decide to attack someone and the melancholy ghost is just sitting there. I want to see exactly how they move, one of the berserkers is inside a wall which could mean pathfinding that ignores constructions which may have some fun ramifications.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11:33 am »

Its exactly that pathfinding that goes through things that is the reason why having ghosts tends to slow down FPS a bunch more then having normal creatures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 11:13:51 am »

Its exactly that pathfinding that goes through things that is the reason why having ghosts tends to slow down FPS a bunch more then having normal creatures.
I think that might cause more problems than the actual dismemberment.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:19 pm »

this is paranormal dwarven SCIENCE.

amptuating infected limbs, eh? only problem is it would need to target the specific infected limb :(

That's only one of several problems. You also have to consider that it's going to target a random dwarf. I can't find any rhyme or reason for the attacks but if there's some way to figure out how they decide which limb and which dwarf it could be valid.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:43 pm »

this is paranormal dwarven SCIENCE.

amptuating infected limbs, eh? only problem is it would need to target the specific infected limb :(

That's only one of several problems. You also have to consider that it's going to target a random dwarf. I can't find any rhyme or reason for the attacks but if there's some way to figure out how they decide which limb and which dwarf it could be valid.
IF they keep attacking your military we may have proof that ghosts hate fighting.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »

IF they keep attacking your military we may have proof that ghosts hate fighting.

That originally had me excited but then I realized I have 60 dwarves in my fortress and 40 of them are military so there's about a 20% (discounting variables like distance and relationship to the deceased) chance that it's just been random.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2011, 08:49:51 am »

7 Malachite 207 Chirpacted

The Mad Clothier and the ghost of subject 6 have both begun their attacks anew. The clothier attacked another military dwarf but this time the limb was not removed. He broke both the arm of an archer and his previous pattern of escalating attacks. Odds near 6% that these attacks on the military have been random, it's very possible he is deliberately targetting soldiers. Subject 6 tore the arm from a thresher inside twenty urists (it's unknown if he passed directly through the ground) from the site of his first attack. These results confirm that the violent spirit is not limited to removing limbs and suggest that they may harbor ill will to their enemies in life.

I know I've flip flopped on this but it's starting to look like the first ghost really is pissed off at the military.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 09:18:04 am »

The Mad Clothier went after the soldiers that were sent to kill him right?  Are they targetting grudges, enemies of any sort? 

Dwarven experimentation like this is awesome, Toady should make a child board just for !!!SCIENCE!!! like this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2011, 09:24:20 am »

Dwarven experimentation like this is awesome, Toady should make a child board just for !!!SCIENCE!!! like this. 

I think I put up a vote for a stickied thread, but most people said no.

Anyway, this is awesome!

May I recommend testing the effects of family ties on a ghost? Have a father/mother who goes berserk killed by their child/partner. This would also help determine the revenge factor.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

The Mad Clothier went after the soldiers that were sent to kill him right?  Are they targetting grudges, enemies of any sort? 

None of the subjects had any relations other than passing acquaintance and the Mad Clothier was killed before this became a study. I wish I'd been paying attention, I'm not sure if he's attacking the military at random (statistically a 7% chance now), because they were sent after him or if these guys were the ones who actually engaged him in combat. What I can tell you is that he ignored the guy who actually chopped his head off to get the guy he was sparring with. Another crackpot theory is that he's being attracted to his own blood, I have very little evidence to support it but every time he attacks the person has spatters of his blood on their clothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10