Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Pet Ghosts  (Read 24875 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Ghosts
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:03 pm »

20 Timber 206

In the span of a few days Subjects seven and four went insane, both became melancholy and were quickly dispatched by the drawbridge. In a more interesting note the original ghost with no warning attacked legendary archer Militia Captain Procella ripping off his right leg. While Procella will live this is significantly more troubling than the initial attack on the fish worker. It seems unlikely that our spectre will be content with simple mischief making. a slabs is being engraved to the mechanic doesn't interfere.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »

Posting to follow. I like this sort of home-brewed Fun. :)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:09 pm »

18 Opal 206

#1: Starved before completion
#2: Crushed by drawbridge before insanity set in.
#3: Melancholy
#4: Melancholy
#5: Stark Raving mad
#6: Berserk
#7: Immune to suffering?
Subject's one and two perished before the experiment was complete due to complications regarding the levers and a failed effort to starve the test group into submission. They will now act as a comparison for the ghosts of subjects who fell to insanity before they died. If mood at time of death is indeed a factor their responses in death should be more violent than a ghost killed in a fair mood. Subject #7's apparent mood fell to miserable before rising to content with no explanation. Her chamber has no redeeming factors, she is immersed in the stink of rotting flesh, trapped in a cramped space, starved and denied booze for long periods of time, and is constantly being assigned pets only to have them killed. Somehow as the objective horror of the situation increases her mood improves. She is being assigned more pets for slaughter, if this fails weapon traps will be used to torture her more directly.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:17 pm »

I don;t think she'll trigger weapon traps.  You'll have to use upright spears/spikes

check her bio: if she "doesn't really care about anything anymore" you might not be able to drive her insane through suffering.  If that's the case, she can be reintegrated into society as part of an anti tantrum-spiral safeguard system.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »

I don;t think she'll trigger weapon traps.  You'll have to use upright spears/spikes

check her bio: if she "doesn't really care about anything anymore" you might not be able to drive her insane through suffering.  If that's the case, she can be reintegrated into society as part of an anti tantrum-spiral safeguard system.

I meant upright weapon traps.

She actually doesn't have that tag and even if she did this is too dramatic to be just that. Every single time I lower her mood to miserable she bounces right back. I killed 12 of her pets, starved her, and threw rotten meat on her all in rapid succession but as soon as she got depressed she decided she was fine. I did notice she keeps getting "Attend Meeting" even though she's alone in a 1x1 room but there's no happy thought from it.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »

#7 must be used in a dwarfen breeding program to create Dwarves immune to all pain

#6 Could become a killer ghost Engrave just incase.

I say you Torture #7 with a bit of magma make sure she can escape as quickly as possible. Expose her to magma lightly. A melted dwarf is an unhappy dwarf. *make sure test subject does not die*

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »

#7 must be used in a dwarfen breeding program to create Dwarves immune to all pain

I say you Torture #7 with a bit of magma make sure she can escape as quickly as possible. Expose her to magma lightly. A melted dwarf is an unhappy dwarf. *make sure test subject does not die*

I'm actually doing this with no failsafes, I've had absolutely nothing interesting happen in this fort that didn't involve ghosts and I'm already nearing FPS death. If When this goes wrong it's going all the way wrong, I'd like to see what would happen in a fortress that wasn't prepared to deal with ghosts.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 10:23:28 pm »

I'm actually doing this with no failsafes, I've had absolutely nothing interesting happen in this fort that didn't involve ghosts and I'm already nearing FPS death. If When this goes wrong it's going all the way wrong, I'd like to see what would happen in a fortress that wasn't prepared to deal with ghosts.
I'm just going to assume all of the Dwarfs are going to have arms and legs ripped off. Possibly all of them because there will be so many ghosts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:14 pm »

Screencap this dwarf's thoughts and info screen?  Perhaps some Dwarven Psychologist can determine her resistance to torture?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:44 am »

She is made of sterner stuff.  Cardinal Fang will have to fetch... the Comfy Chair!
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:20 am »

Screencap this dwarf's thoughts and info screen?  Perhaps some Dwarven Psychologist can determine her resistance to torture?

Furthermore, isn't discovering which dwarves won't go insane a useful bit of science?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:43 am »

Both torture and torture prevention are both valid realms of dwarven psychology investigation.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 06:01:15 am »

This torture prevention sounds like junk science to me but here it is

Portalis Before Torture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Portalis after torture
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is no way throwing things is that awesome.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 07:03:30 am »

Dude, Portallis (odd name) is perfect for a militia Dorf. Alas that she is in your fort.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 07:07:13 am »

Dude, Portallis (odd name) is perfect for a militia Dorf. Alas that she is in your fort.
She actually was a militia dwarf but she's also a mason and insisted not only on standing on the wrong side of the wall when she sealed the chamber but allowing the dwarf I hand selected to escape. If she survives this I'm definitely locking her in a danger room until she's ready to become Commander.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10