Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 1473 times)

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
is this normal?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:41 pm »

like 100 of my 200 dwarves are drinking at any time. i know theyre drunken lil creatures, but, they dont do anything but drink it seems. they should be at least having parties.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:04:19 pm »

Normal.  They drink twice as often as they eat, and they always do so at the worst time.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:45 pm »

would be nice if they took it to a dining room and chatted it up. would be nice to have a wedding or 2

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:13:56 pm »

Toady has mentioned that he wants dwarves to use flasks/mugs in the future, allowing every civilian to claim a flask and carry alcohol on them like military does, drinking when they're thirsty and streamlining their work by leaving the work zone much less.  Mugs are also supposed to be used, as the dwarf should be able to use a mug to drink from and gain a thought from it.  In the future of course, probably when taverns are introduced because that's very similar.  I'm just hoping we can declare a mug stockpile that accepts certain quality/material mugs for use in drinking.  Lead barrels and pitchblende mugs, anyone?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:11 pm »

Normal.  They drink twice as often as they eat, and they always do so at the worst time.
They also take several times as long to take a drink, making the number of dwarves drinking at any given moment higher than it would be otherwise.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:21:48 pm »

Designate a meeting zone and leave a lot of dwarves idle.  You'll have marriages and kids in no time, at which point the ‼Science‼ and science-induced tantrum-related ‼Fun‼ can begin!

I assume that's why weddings would be desired?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:47 pm »

I usually do it because baby death is a valuable renewable resource.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:26:16 pm »

Toady has mentioned that he wants dwarves to use flasks/mugs in the future, allowing every civilian to claim a flask and carry alcohol on them like military does, drinking when they're thirsty and streamlining their work by leaving the work zone much less.  Mugs are also supposed to be used, as the dwarf should be able to use a mug to drink from and gain a thought from it.  In the future of course, probably when taverns are introduced because that's very similar.  I'm just hoping we can declare a mug stockpile that accepts certain quality/material mugs for use in drinking.  Lead barrels and pitchblende mugs, anyone?

Have dwarves drinking sunshine from gold goblets for high happy thoughts.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:27:45 pm »

I usually do it because baby death is a valuable renewable resource.
sigging this
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:41 pm »

lolz i actually do have sunshine and gold goblets. the reason why i want marriages/kids is just so that theres some interesting things going on with my worker dwarfs, not just work, eat, drink, sleep-as it is, theyre mostly hanging out in the food stockpile with their head in a barrel

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »

You can just draft everyone. Do inactive military dwarves still not use flasks?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »

Lead barrels you say? Slowly the entire fortress will go insane.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »

you mean to say our fortresses aren't already insane?
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »

When exactly have we become puny elves? Lead barrels are no real danger to the Dwarven immune system. Bah, even the old Romans sweetened their wine with lead, so if humans can survive this, SO CAN WE!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »

Isn't drinking from a lead cup or something supposed to have made Nero stark staring mad? Madder than he was, at least.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: [1] 2