Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Howto: Artifact Non-Metal Anvil?  (Read 6678 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Howto: Artifact Non-Metal Anvil?
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »

Basically, I would like an anvil, but not a metal one.  No modding either.  How would I get a dwarf to mood just right to get an anvil that wasn't metal?  Probably bone or something...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Howto: Artifact Non-Metal Anvil?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »

not sure you can control the result of a mood, but I'm decently sure that the first item a dwarf grabs for a mood is the "base material" for the artifact.  place each moody dwarf in a burrow that contains your stockpiles of desired materials, but not any workshops, then free them from it when they've obtained a unit or two.  Getting an anvil may take quite some time, but I'm not sure how to improve it further.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:39 pm »

Best bet would probably to get a dwarf who likes Anvils and isn't a metalcrafter to go into a mood. Then you'd have at least a chance to get a non-metal anvil.

As for getting that dwarf to get a mood....what are the parameters of the fortress? Do you care about migrants? If not, you could always select out those that don't like anvils.

Another option might be to try a bunch of embarks. Restart the embark process until you get a starting 7 with at least two dwarves who like Anvils. That'd improve your odds at least a little.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »

not sure you can control the result of a mood, but I'm decently sure that the first item a dwarf grabs for a mood is the "base material" for the artifact.  place each moody dwarf in a burrow that contains your stockpiles of desired materials, but not any workshops, then free them from it when they've obtained a unit or two.  Getting an anvil may take quite some time, but I'm not sure how to improve it further.

Partially true. The first item is the base material of the artifact and you can control the material with burrows and forbidding. The thing is that the material is also determined by the skill. For example, mason will demand rock as first material and nothing else goes.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »

The only real option seems to be trying to get a dwarf who likes anvils, and mooding that type until someone gives me a non-metal anvil, if that's even possible.  Dwarves don't go to the forge to produce a steel quiver.  It may be that anvils are hard-coded as a metal, which prevents anything except metalcrafting moods.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »

Well, you can make non-metal anvils with modding as far as I know. And moods often break the usual material rules (gem beds, anyone?) so I'd say it's possible. Seems unlikely that Toady would have coded Anvils in a way that's completely unlike everything else.

That said, I don't recall ever getting a non-metal anvil from a mood. You'll have to let us know if you succeed.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure you *can* get nonmetal anvils from moods, the same way you get stone/metal/whatever beds.  According to the wiki, it's possible

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:11:20 pm »

Modding is easy, way easy.  That's not what I'm after.  But, other things refuse to happen during moods as well many times.  No wooden quivers, no metal perfect gems, no gem bags, etc.  There seems to be some amount of structure to the way moods are handled, at least on a very basic level.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:13:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure you *can* get nonmetal anvils from moods, the same way you get stone/metal/whatever beds.  According to the wiki, it's possible
Exactly where on the wiki is that stated?

There are tons of misconceptions about how the game works, many of which are the result of incorrect information in wiki articles, and I want to dispel as many of them as possible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:58 pm »

Suggested experiment design: Give dwarves [NATURAL_SKILL:MASONRY:10], and then generate a new world with no invaders, no eat/drink, and a high popcap. Proceed to force a large number of strange moods, all of which should be masonry. See what range of items result. Repeat with other skills as desired.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »

EDIT: I fail...  Anvils can be made out of other metals not other materials
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:26:06 pm by Tevish Szat »

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:07 pm »

A mason, glassmaker, or carpenter with a preference for anvils might work, but I've never seen it.  They can create furniture items which aren't normally available through their workshops, like stone beds, and an anvil is furniture.

The limitation for items produced is based on the workshop which is used in creation (which is determined by the highest skill), except in weird cases where one workshop covers multiple professions.

Stonecrafters won't make anything but various crafts, and anything in the food industry uses the craftdwarves' workshop as well (except for maybe butchers).
Masons will always will always make furniture.
Engineers have some overlap with masons, things like mechanisms and floodgates.
Glassmakers and Metalsmiths will make furniture, as well as things like crafts or instruments depending on specifics.
Clothiers will make bags, clothes, etc.

Bonecrafters and Jewelers tend to produce weird things; like bone weaponry and gem coffins that aren't within normal workshop constraints.  Also, the average fortress usually doesn't have many of either during it's lifespan, so it's harder to get a good grasp on their restrictions.  An interesting experiment would be training up a full fortress of odd-job dwarves to see what kind of artifacts they'd churn out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:35:33 pm by orrey »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »

Modding is easy, way easy.  That's not what I'm after.  But, other things refuse to happen during moods as well many times.  No wooden quivers, no metal perfect gems, no gem bags, etc.  There seems to be some amount of structure to the way moods are handled, at least on a very basic level.

Hmm. Might be the HARD_MAT vs SOFT_MAT tags. Perfect Gems seem limited to just gems (logically). Anvils can't be limited to just the [ITEMS_ANVIL] tag, since I've seen a Gold anvil before. Could be limited to Metal, I guess. Toady does seem to have put in some rules to what artifacts do, even it if they're not obviously consistent.

Oh, and I wasn't suggesting that you mod it in, I was just noting that the game code should allow for a non metal anvil.
Come play Mafia with us!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »

Earlier in 31.xx, some (or was it all?) stones and gems were classed as metals. This may have produced results.

I searched the forum, and only found references to metal artifact anvils. Zinc anvils are silly, but possible. There was no reference to nonmetal (i.e. rock) anvils except in modding posts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 02:44:24 pm »

Craftsdwarves won't make anything but various crafts, and anything in the food industry uses the craftdwarves' workshop as well (except for maybe butchers).
The "food industry" association is because none of the Farmer skills (aside from Tanner) are moodable, and dwarves with no moodable skills become stone/bone/wood crafters.

Masons will always will always make furniture.
As do miners, from what I've seen.

Engineers have some overlap with masons, things like mechanisms and floodgates.
I've only ever seen engineers make artifact mechanisms - they might also be capable of producing traction benches, but I doubt it.

Bonecrafters and Jewelers tend to produce weird things; like bone weaponry and gem coffins that aren't within normal workshop constraints.
Bone carvers seem to be a result of there not being any skill for making furniture out of bone (stone has Masons and Stone Crafters, wood has Carpenters and Wood Crafters, metal has the 4 metalsmithing skills) - I've seen them make grates, coffins, beds, statues, cages, and even floodgates (as per my sig). Jewelers are similarly prone to making bizarre items (coffins, floodgates, doors, beds, Windows, etc.), likely for the same reason. Glassmakers produce everything, though that's reasonable since they already make pretty much everything (except for barrels/buckets/bins/beds, which are all fair game for moods).

I know for a fact that certain mood items were strictly impossible back in 40d - I once had a moody leatherworker with some Elf leather (gotten from HFS), and he refused to make anything other than "normal" leather items (clothes, armor, bags, quivers, backpacks, etc.) and toys/instruments (excluding those without [HARD_MAT]); leather furniture was out of the question. Whether or not this is still true in 0.31 has yet to be fully determined.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2