Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 20368 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:17 am »

What's a good coop game that's lower on the complexity scale?

Also, that 3d board is pretty swank.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2011, 09:06:06 am »

I think Red November is supposed to be pretty simple. It's also very small.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2011, 09:14:31 am »

What's a good coop game that's lower on the complexity scale?

Also, that 3d board is pretty swank.

Don't Wake Daddy?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:06 am »

A touch of Evil is a bit like Arkham horror light, so that's a good one. It has a coop or competitive game type.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:30 am »

yay board/card games! I've been getting steadily more into these, as several of our friends are board game geeks, and my wife has shown a marked interest in board games that she does not harbor for video games.

We play the hell out of some Apples to Apples, mostly with variant rules. One of our favorite variants is to mix the red cards that are submitted, deal them back out, and force each player to argue their case for the card they receive. A successful case earns the arguer a point and the originator of the card a point. If by chance you get your own card, you can score double points. Hilarity often ensues, and we're left with some epic-level bullshitting. One of my best ever was successfully arguing that "Being In a Coma" was the best match for "Blissful", by way of comparison to Buddhist nirvana. My wife is infamous for using her own idiosyncratic "logic" as a judge. Such as picking "Beets" over "Berlin, 1945" for "Dangerous" because:

1. You could choke on a beet. And they stain everything.
2. She doesn't like Nazis and doesn't know WWII history.  :P

We recently played a French game called Dixit, which is similar to Apples to Apples in a lot of ways. Each player has a hand of cards with surrealistic artwork on them. On each player's turn, they make up a sentence (or in our variant, even just a phrase or a single word) that in some fits or describes the art on their card. Each player then puts down a card, they're shuffled, and then turned face up. All the other players record which card they think was the speaker's. If they ALL get it right, they get point but the speaker doens't. If NONE of them get it right, nobody gets points. If some get it right, then those who get it right gets points, and the speaker gets points for each person who guessed correctly. And, if somebody guessed your card, you get points even if you weren't the speaker. Thus, you have to be ambiguous enough that it's not obvious but not so obscure that nobody gets it. And you're hoping that somebody has a card that sorta could be a match for what you're going to say. It's really cool when you have a very literate crowd playing.

Other than that, some favorite games I've played:

SmallWorld
Gloom
Shadow Hunters
Risk: Lord of the Rings Edition (adds some major wrinkles such as heroes, and the hunt for the Ringbearer)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »

I have Red November. It's a really nice game when it works - but there is a non trivial chance that you'll just get a strange game that's not particularly funny. Some sessions have been absolutely hilarious, and others have been absolutely boring... which is really not nice if you're using it to introduce people to boardgames. The rules are also quite convoluted and not very clear.

The simplest cooperative game I know is Pandemic, and I really, really like it :) Check it out, it's totally worth it, and plays surprisingly fast for a game of its complexity! About 45m!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:22 pm »

Hey Guys, I am getting Descent. Should I wait until second edition is out? or possibly use the Conversion box instead?

Though after seeing some of their changes... I am not THAT much of a fan.

It seems like an attempt to streamline it too much by taking away its complexity. (though I do admit I like how the new character sheets look)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:51:47 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »

From what I've read, the 2nd edition is going to be simplified a bit. So going first edition is a good idea if you like complexity. Although I don't know how easy it is to get it and the expansions at this point. I think some places still have it readily available.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2011, 03:30:00 pm »

From what I've read, the 2nd edition is going to be simplified a bit. So going first edition is a good idea if you like complexity. Although I don't know how easy it is to get it and the expansions at this point. I think some places still have it readily available.

I have an amazing store near me (No really. Imagine a place that REALLY did sell things cheaper then anywhere else... AND usually had anything you would want in stock) ... but not the money to get all the expansions. (they even have a few in store)

Getting the first and seeing if we should wait for the second may be a good idea.

We could buy the second and the conversion pack (and then simply use the wrong models) if we like it enough.

Though really the Conversion Pack seems almost priceless to me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:39:12 pm by Neonivek »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2011, 04:21:25 pm »

Anyone mention Axis and Allies? I used to play it every Friday, but that died out due to irregular numbers. :(
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2011, 04:22:26 pm »

Anyone mention Axis and Allies? I used to play it every Friday, but that died out due to irregular numbers. :(

It's been about a year or so since I last played that. Good game. My group doesn't play it too often, though, since we usually have too many people for it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »

Axis and Allies is one of those games my WWII buff Uncle used to go "So you like board games huh....."

I think it defined the top of the mountain of boarding gaming for me as a kid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »

Axis and Allies is one of those games my WWII buff Uncle used to go "So you like board games huh....."

I think it defined the top of the mountain of boarding gaming for me as a kid.

My problem with Axis And Allies is that you REALLY notice the difference between people who own it, or play often, or myself who rarely gets to play.

It is the one issue I have with fun is that I never have fun if I don't feel like I played competently... and BOY will Axis and Allies hit you over the head and say "You stupid stupid idiot".

It isn't a flaw in the game itself but it is probably my largest barrier to enjoying it. It is why I REALLY like Co-op games and All against One games.

I did play this one Zombie game... The largest flaw was that the BEST strategy is actually to forgo any long term planning and just to stock up on extra people (and food, heck you may not even need any weapons) so that you can just uttarly obliterate other characters with herd of zombies. So it is one of those games that fail on the basis of having too much of an optimal strategy (though a modified single player mode would be a lot more interesting)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 11:18:01 am »

Got to play RuneBound again last night. It's pretty fun, but I'm not sure that it's actually better than Talisman. It has some cool features, but I feel that your options as a player are a bit more...constrained.

Still fun, but I kind of enjoy Talisman more.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:09 am »

It's hard to beat Talisman. It's one of the few competitive board games where I seriously don't care how well anyone else is doing, I just have fun running around as my Space Marine with a Magic Sword and Unicorn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13