Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 20371 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

wanting to get chaos in the old world , it looks good but not sure has anyone else played it ?.

and i do have Arkham Horror but for the life of me i cant figure out to play it :/
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:52 am »

and i do have Arkham Horror but for the life of me i cant figure out to play it :/

Find someone that can teach you. The rule book is awful.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2011, 10:52:31 am »

there would be no one :P well not anyone i know personally :P, is there not any online version with more readable rules ?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:30 am »

there would be no one :P well not anyone i know personally :P, is there not any online version with more readable rules ?

Poke around on the BGG forum for it. Maybe reading session reports and rules clarifications will help.

Or maybe someone has posted a decent explanation of how to play.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:37:24 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:20 am »

Imperial is a great game, you get to buy shares of countries..and manipulate wars to profit you!  It is a very different sort of game since you aren't trying to make a country win but yourself as an investor. There are tons of great board games out there..I have actually given some thought to a dwarf fortress board game...but you would lose so much that I'm not sure it would be DF anymore.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 01:01:01 pm »

I can post a tutorial if you want Scriptwolf.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »

I can post a tutorial if you want Scriptwolf.

yes please that would be great :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »

Ok. I've got my rule book here. I should preface by saying that I will probably miss a couple things, and even after running 6 or so games, a few specific points are fuzzy to me. I really recommend, if you've got at least 3 people, to NOT play a character while you're trying to learn how to run Arkham Horror. There is PLENTY for a GM to manage without having to play your own character to confuse and distract you. Seriously consider only GMing a game of it for 3 or more people, your first few times through.

Spoiler: Epic jibbajabber (click to show/hide)

Phew. There's more minutae and stuff I didn't cover, but I assume you own the rule book so you can read the specifics at your leisure. What I chose to talk about are the parts I most often forget or overlook, and are the most confusing rules you have to adjudicate.

Lastly, I would recommend always allotting at least 5 hours for a full game of Arkham with 3 or more players. Half the time I play this game, people give up real interest halfway through because they're tired, it's late, it's drug on, it's seemingly unwinnable....allot enough time for Arkham Horror so you don't end up finishing it in a rush.

If you've got any other questions or confusion, I can help clear them up. After 15 games of Akrham both as the GM and player, I have a pretty good grasp on things that I can generally play the game and run it too.

But I only play with the base set. With expansions.....the amount of trackers, markers, tokens, boards and cards you have to deal with increases exponentially. When it comes to playing with expansions, I would just stick to GMing.

To me, less than 3 people is too easy and more than 4 is when things start to get really hairy. I've known 8 players games to last close to 8 hours.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:32:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »

Always good to see fellow boardgamegeeks ;)

First of all, I second the greatness of Battlestar Galactica, Dominion and Last night on earth.
For those who haven't played those yet:

Battlestar Galactica is mafia in space, all players are fighting the Cylon together but one or more of them are secretly Cylon Cyborgs. Expect a lot of witch hunting and diplomacy, but don't worry, there are plenty of lasers and even a few nukes as well, so you can always get down to simple action if you're not a man of the word.
Dominion is a living card game which focuses on deck management, players buy action cards, more money, and victory point cards. Victory cards are what counts in the end, but they take up lots of space in your deck, so you need to find a balance between swift play and grabbing points. It has a lot of different strategies, depending on what cards are available to buy.
Last Night On Earth is a zombie-survival game, with objectives for the townsfolk ranging from 'kill 15 zombies' to 'find gas and keys, and escape in the truck'. It has a lot of possibilities while keeping the rules rather simple. There are tons of different (real or improvised) weapons, and the zombies have their own deck they can use to let it rain, trip survivors, or let two townies waste a turn... eh... 'cuddling' in a basement.

I'd like to add A Game Of Thrones: The Card Game (which is not the boardgame someone mentioned before) and Warhammer Invasion to the Great List of Games.

A Game Of Thrones is, just like Dominion, a living card game, where players choose one of the renowned houses of Westeros. (If you have no idea what Westeros is, try the AGOT book or TV show. Both are worth it.) They then fight each other with military might, but also via political power and intrigue, using various units and characters skilled any of the three kinds of conflict - in the end, the players attempt to amass as much power as possible, as the most powerful house will control the kingdoms.
Warhammer Invasion is, again, a living card game (love those), where players assign units to various districts of their capital. There, they can gather resources, go on quests, or attack the opponent, depending on the district, and they can defend their district from attacks. It is based on the popular Warhammer Fantasy world (obviously), the starter set allows player to play as humans, dwarfs, orcs, or the forces of chaos.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »

Personally, I like Invasion from Outer space better. The martians are just a lot more fun to play than the zombies.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

A Game Of Thrones is, just like Dominion, a living card game, where players choose one of the renowned houses of Westeros. (If you have no idea what Westeros is, try the AGOT book or TV show. Both are worth it.) They then fight each other with military might, but also via political power and intrigue, using various units and characters skilled any of the three kinds of conflict - in the end, the players attempt to amass as much power as possible, as the most powerful house will control the kingdoms.

gotta try that game finally, already got Battles for Westeros and Game of Thrones boardgame (I think that's the english name of the game).

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »

i have a serial addiction to boardgames currently. Today i played Arkham Horror and game of scones (board game now LCG) for the first time, both good games, although we lasted about 40mins in Arkham. My current favs are; Ascending empires, CC Napoleonics, Richard III. Ive got discworld, Sekighara and A few acres of snow in the post. On top of them ive got kremlin but havnt managed to play it yet. I got into board games about 2 months ago, since then ive hardly played any video games
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »

Hahahah, that's great :)

I remember when I first got into boardgames. My mom, me and my girlfriend would play for days on end during weekends :)

Make sure to play your games quite a bit before you get new ones ;)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »

I'd play board games a heck of a lot more if I had the time, money, and someone to play with.  The boss lady likes them somewhat, but nothing like as much as me.  She's a fan of Catan and Labyrinth, but I think would take one look at Arkham Horror or the like and walk off.  Robo Rally just isn't fair- I have a programming degree and logic/math don't sit well with her.

I must admit to having drooled a bit at Space Empires 4x.  Loved the PC game- will definitely look into this one.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

Played Space Empires yesterday for the first time non solitaire with my boardgaming buddy. Game was absolutely awesome, many many tough choices and different strategies to play by. Everything was really balanced most of the time. I started attacking him first but then he also got a fleet in an unprotected sector of my empire and we started eliminating each other colonys. In the end we both send fleets to the enemies home planet (default winning goal is destroying it) but his changed course and destroyed my whole fleet after which I yielded.

Good game, took us about 3-4 hours to finish it though we had many cigarette breaks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13