Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 20375 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2011, 11:28:46 am »

I was pretty underwhelmed too. People had built it up for so long and....other than "I kick in the door and...." it's just card swapping and messing with your friends.

Sadly it seems like dungeon delving games are either DESCENT in scope or are relegated to card games. Don't get me wrong, Descent is cool and all, but board games are starting to go overboard on the production values and it's making these things impossible to buy. I remember plenty of amazing board games from the 80s that were nothing but paper maps and paper chits. (Snits Revenge anyone?!) It'd be nice if someone made a dungeon delving board game again that didn't come at GWS prices due to all the figs, and the high-density materials. I like stout materials, but man, some of those things are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:30:29 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2011, 11:32:30 am »

Thanks, doesn't help that I feel a sense of doom.

Why would you feel a sense of doom?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:12 am »

Thanks, doesn't help that I feel a sense of doom.

Why would you feel a sense of doom?

Paranoia. I have a feeling my ideas are caustic and I just don't know it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:08 pm »

No need to be paranoid. If your ideas don't work, they simply won't be used. And even a flawed idea often sparks other ideas or permutations of the idea that do work. I know I've certainly had a lot of flawed ideas in this game already, but with thought and some tweaking they've been molded into a useful shape or brought about other ideas which did work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:45 am »

Guys, what was that INDIE PC BOARD GAME that was about to come out? Looked really nice, rpgish dungeon running. I don't know whether or not it was multiplayer but it sure looks sweet. I cannot for the life of me remember the name :S.

PLEASE help me out! I'm going crazy here!
Poysky Productions

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2011, 09:38:52 am »

INDIE PC BOARD GAME

Wha? It's a PC-adaptation of a board game?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2011, 09:57:19 am »

Nope. it was an indie game that was coming out sometime in 2011. It had some sort of oldie time commercial online to watch. It looked a LOT like dungeons and dragons, and there were cards that you could trade ONLINE. Looked REALLY neat and was looking forward to it, but I cant remember the name of it for the life of me :(.
Poysky Productions

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2011, 10:33:48 am »

CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER CARD HUNTER v
ITS called CARD HUNTER.

PHEW I thought I would never remember

Link:

http://www.cardhunter.com/
Poysky Productions

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:24 am »

Munchkin! also Catan! also WH40k! also my own production of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. board game! (basically Wh40k with a few tweaks)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »

Card Hunter looks ok I guess... I don't know...

Apperantly from what I found out Fantasy Flight games were going to create online versions of their game but didn't.

Too bad. :'(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »

Fantasy Flight is releasing Tom Jolly's Wiz-War soon. The original is pretty much a multiplayer roguelike. Cast all sorts of spells in a dungeon with wrapping edges. Make and destroy walls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You do know your spells, but they are cards drawn from an enormous deck, so the mix is different every game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:42 pm »

Wow a creative wizard game.

Now I just need those things called friends.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »

So on an impulse, I just picked up a copy of Space Pirates by Christophe Boelinger. Anybody ever play/hear about it?

Mostly I got it because I had a gift card and my hobbies include both Space and Piracy- according to the back of the box, "the game combines risk-taking, skill, resource management, and morally-challenged conduct between fellow pirates," and it seems the ultimate goal is to make a kickass pirate base with your ill-gotten space booty.

I'll report back once I get the free time to play it (or at least open the box, anyway.)

Unrelated to my shenanigans, that Wiz-War thing sounds mad cool. Is it a competitive or coop kinda thing?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2011, 10:27:33 pm »

Haven't heard of that one before. Let us know how it is?
Come play Mafia with us!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »

Unrelated to my shenanigans, that Wiz-War thing sounds mad cool. Is it a competitive or coop kinda thing?

Competitive. I don't know about this rerelease, but the original pitted up to 8 people against each other. (I assume FF will milk the expansions) There were spells and number cards in a deck of around 500 cards with expansions. Number cards were played with spells to "boost" the spell in some way, like duration or range. Each wizard has 2 treasure chests and a home area. The goal is to get two chests from other players.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=177
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13