Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crematorium?  (Read 2298 times)

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crematorium?
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »

I'm looking for a way to deal with bodies. I know how mass pitting works, and I know there is a way to drop things down chutes, but would this be able to be adapted to allow corpses to be dropped into lava?

If anyone has perfected this technique, please post.

Thanks.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crematorium?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »

if you place a garbage dump in a tile adjacent to an open space, the dumped items will get thrown down into that open space. make some lava below and you're done.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

Be careful of doing this with your dwarves' corpses though, as their friends will still get unhappy from them not being entombed and its possible that your decisions might come back to 'haunt' you.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:24:36 pm »

Memorial slabs can be made easily enough.

Also, I modded my ethics to allow butchering of other sentients.  Goblin tallow roasts, anyone?

EggFibre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:52 pm »

if you place a garbage dump in a tile adjacent to an open space, the dumped items will get thrown down into that open space. make some lava below and you're done.

Sorry, how do you mean? Wont garbage be placed on the tile, rather than the adjacent space?

Dwarves having friends isn't a problem. The only corpses that will be disposed of in this way are going the to the by-products of experiments. Any friends they make will die in the same way they do. :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:31:11 pm »

Dig a 1x1 hole.  Make a 3x3 garbage zone around this hole.  Fill hole with magma.  Any dumped items will be thrown into the magma - dwarves are coded to understand where the magma is and use it for disposal.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:00 pm »

Memorial slabs can be made easily enough.

Also, I modded my ethics to allow butchering of other sentients.  Goblin tallow roasts, anyone?

I did that too, once.

Then my stockpiles were overflowing with *goblin eyeball stew*.

The fortress I tried that out in was ended by a tantrum spiral shortly afterwards. For unrelated reasons.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:02:49 pm »

I tend to make 2 story crematoriums but instead of heat, I smash the atoms away. 

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »

I smash the atoms away.

+1 creative interpretation of 'atom smasher'
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:22:18 pm »

I smash the atoms away.
+1 creative interpretation of 'atom smasher'

Into bridge-space of course (it's like hammer-space but...bridgier). See it requires the force of a downward or upwards sweeping bridge in order to generate enough force to 'smash' the atoms through the dimensional barrier that separates bridge-space from the Realms of Smashing (or whatever your particular multiverse happens to be).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

To answer a prior question--in most cases a single tile dump will be where the garbage gets left, but I dump designated by a z-level drop, will lead dwarves to toss the trash into the drop.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »

If you still want to salvage some stuff afterward, I would advise having a magma pump with the dump zone on top of a metal grate. That way, all you have to do is dump off all the corpses on top of the grate (I advise at least 3x3 area of grates and a closed off room), activate the pump (which could be a pump stack that sites 1-2Z above or dumps from overhead), and salvage the bolts/arrows they were downed by, any remaining metal armor on them, or dwarf bones for burying/moods. Of course, it would be best advised to wait for all the magma to drain before entering.

At least, this could also yield a more controlled burn of remains, or allow salvagables. Otherwise, just keep the pump active and watch it fizzle out of existence. Doubles as an execution chamber and incinerator. I think metal objects can also be melted into bars this way. I don't remember.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:18:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 08:14:59 pm »

You can also build a road or bridge on an ordinary floor, using charcoal/coke bars, and then put a drop of magma in the center to set it on fire. The charcoal BBQ has a lower temperature than magma, so it leaves more metal behind if used to roast goblinite ore.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:03:42 pm »

I fear dwarven concentration camps. With magma showers for elves.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 06:24:13 pm »

I fear dwarven concentration camps. With magma showers for elves.

Reminds me of an old mega-project you could do in 40d where you'd embark completely over an elven settlement, completely wall it off then fill the resulting bowl full of water/magma. It was as pointless as it was time-consuming but as dwarfy as it was funny.

Shame you can't do this any more...
Pages: [1] 2