Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist custom professions  (Read 8771 times)

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist custom professions
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:26 am »

Sorry if the title is somewhat misleading, I couldn't really think of anything to call it. My question is how to have the custom professions you make in DT show in DF, as well as having those professions become their professions in DT (for sorting and whatnot). Help appreciated
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist custom professions
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »

Sorry if the title is somewhat misleading, I couldn't really think of anything to call it. My question is how to have the custom professions you make in DT show in DF, as well as having those professions become their professions in DT (for sorting and whatnot). Help appreciated
Right click dwarf, change to custom profession. Apply changes. Voila.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »

I know how to switch their profession, however when I do that they're still set as "woodcutter"or whatever they may be. their labors change, but they maintain their in-game profession.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

Therapist's use of professions is just a template it loads for job selection.  You have to go the old-fashioned way to change their display profession.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:58 pm »

And what might that old fashioned way be?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 02:05:28 pm »

unit screen, "c" to center on that dwarf, "z" to view details, "y" I think to customize their nickname and profession title.  Once you hit "z" there it should be obvious how to customize, either way.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

Be aware, though, that custom nicknames and custom professions assigned through Dwarf Therapist have been known to disappear whenever the dwarf gains a special title due to killing other named creatures.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:21:09 pm »

Therapist's use of professions is just a template it loads for job selection.  You have to go the old-fashioned way to change their display profession.

This is not true. I'm at work right now, so I'm going from memory.. but I think what I typically do is this:

1. Change labors for a dwarf to exactly what you want.
2. Create new custom profession from this dwarf.
3. Name the custom profession what you want.
4. Apply the new profession to other dwarves. It should change their profession names as well.

If it doesn't work, it's just that I'm missing a step. All of my dwarves are called laborer, soldier, noble, or craftsdwarf, and I do this en masse with DT.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:30:16 pm »

Hmm that's what I've been doing, would it have anything to do with the "export custom profession" option, or any of those other options under file?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:42 pm »

Hmm that's what I've been doing, would it have anything to do with the "export custom profession" option, or any of those other options under file?

I haven't used that option at all. Maybe check preferences. It's possible that there's a checkbox for applying custom profession names to the dwarf as well as the jobs.

It also might be an OS issue?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »

I am using OS X, so maybe that would do it.. Nothing in the preferences looked like it would help

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 04:43:29 pm »

I can confirm that on linux (and therefore presumably OS X) Dwarf Therapist doesn't correctly update profession names. In fact, this is the one feature I would REALLY like to work, but oh well. Also, there are some other bugs I've seen, especially regarding the filtering system.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:50 pm »

Well I use windows 7 and it definitely works, the results show up instantly when I click commit changes in Dwarf therapist, on the units screen, military screen, and in coffins, I'm guessing everything else too but that's all I remember and am 98% sure of
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »

I can confirm that on linux (and therefore presumably OS X) Dwarf Therapist doesn't correctly update profession names. In fact, this is the one feature I would REALLY like to work, but oh well. Also, there are some other bugs I've seen, especially regarding the filtering system.

I'm using windows xp, so that might be the problem. Are you compiling the linux version yourself? I've been intending to load it up on my (linux) netbook but haven't got around to it yet.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:49 pm »

Ah, I guess it's probably just a Mac issue, thanks guys :)