Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39210 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Man of /Ambition/ - Update 6, Tank and Spank?
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2011, 12:16:19 am »

Hm. I'm not sure I know much about tactics, but here goes.

Elites teleport and move towards the patch of total concealment inbetween the suppression fire arcs.
Sergeant&Co begin circling around rightward to get at the raiders' left flank, keeping to cover.
MGunners continue laying down suppressing fire from where they stand.

Elites stay hidden while Sergeant manuevers his squad into position in cover on the raider's left, as soon as that's done they signal the MGunners to stop firing, and teleport forward into the raiders' midst. There they raze Hell. Once the Elites are the center of attention, Sergeant&Co move in to apprehend any stray combatants.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2011, 12:35:14 am »

Oh, just a quick reminder. The Elite teleport is a free action, NOT a move or an attack. This means as long as you have mana you don't mind burning, you can chain as many teleports as you want in a single set of leaps, then walk somewhere after.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2011, 12:54:17 am »

Well, yes, but we want the recruits to gain some kind of combat experience, and letting the Elites take everyone out before the other guys have a chance to properly engage the enemy is a little unfair. :) So we let Elites act as a distraction as well as a main attack force, so that the recruits can actually join in and gain some experience.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:23 am »

Er, that was in regards to moving the Elites behind the obstruction since one isn't quite close enough to tele from where he is. He could probably just walk closer behind his current cover and then warp to it, though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:30 am »

Hm. I'm not sure I know much about tactics, but here goes.

Elites teleport and move towards the patch of total concealment inbetween the suppression fire arcs.
Sergeant&Co begin circling around rightward to get at the raiders' left flank, keeping to cover.

Elites stay hidden while Sergeant manuevers his squad into position in cover on the raider's left, as soon as that's done they signal the MGunners to stop firing, and teleport forward into the raiders' midst. There they raze Hell. Once the Elites are the center of attention, Sergeant&Co move in to apprehend any stray combatants.

Do this, I guess.  Can't really suggest anything myself. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2011, 04:31:40 am »

Er, that was in regards to moving the Elites behind the obstruction since one isn't quite close enough to tele from where he is. He could probably just walk closer behind his current cover and then warp to it, though.
Hence why I said "Elites teleport and move". Mana probably regenerates quick enough, but that's no cause to waste it by teleporting a few seconds' walk distance. Teleporting is mainly to avoid the suppression firing cone, and prevent the raiders from seeing too much of our movements. Once the recruits are in position to attack, Elites will draw attention to themselves and allow the rather raw recruits to score some hits on their own. Ordering the suppression fire off is mostly to prevent the recruits getting shot up, since the Elites' barriers will protect them regardless.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:58 am »

Ugh, fine, I'll just list random ideas and you can say how hard they'd be to do:

- teleport bomb that consists of an armoured core with a teleporter, and directional mana grenade like things on the outside. It'd teleport in, explode, and then teleport back. Entirely reusable with just mana expenditure but presumably would require a lot of it and might have a cooldown time, and might have relatively weak actual explosive power. Perfect to get around defences, like by teleporting it to behind a fortification or even inside a vehicle. Most likely have an economy of scale that makes having them huge and expensive but powerful making the most sense.

- "vehicles" that have teleportation as their *only* means to move, but does it well. Depending on how teleportation works they may also afford to be heavier and thus made from cheaper materials for the same amount of defence than equivalent conventional vehicles. These may essentially work as mobile fortified positions.

- remote operated turret pack: consists of any number of simple turrets, which consists of a cheap magitech gunn connected to a rock anchor by two magitech motors and a camera, and a mana interface that remotely connects a single soldier to all of them. Good for controlling a large area with few soldiers, or faking having more men than you really have. One could also imagine a fancier version with a machinegun on it and built in teleportation, but I've a harder time envisioning a tactical advantage of this over simply having a normal machinegunner on the spot.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2011, 08:26:42 am »

I'll express some opinions on those ideas, if you don't mind:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2011, 08:31:28 am »

I like the TeleTurret.  Size them so they can fit on the back of a flatbed truck so they're portable in some way other than teleporting (which doesn't appear to have huge range).  Drive them to the attack zone, then warp to location and open up.  Enemy fire bearing down on you?  Warp to another spot and keep shooting!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2011, 08:43:48 am »

- teleport bomb: This would likely be a variant of the Typhoon system from Deus Ex 3 because that thing is ridiculously badass. It'd be an automated drone requiring you to be shoulders-deep in your Magitech research.

- "vehicles" that have teleportation as their *only* means to move, but does it well. Depending on how teleportation works they may also afford to be heavier and thus made from cheaper materials for the same amount of defence than equivalent conventional vehicles. These may essentially work as mobile fortified positions.  Doctrine: Fortification to get the emplacement, Doctrine: Magitech to get a turret-portable, non-human-powered Mana Barrier, then Doctrine: Mobility to create a teleporter for it, with a few options in Doctrines for controlling it/giving it an AI.

- remote operated turret pack: consists of any number of simple turrets, which consists of a cheap magitech gunn connected to a rock anchor by two magitech motors and a camera, and a mana interface that remotely connects a single soldier to all of them. Good for controlling a large area with few soldiers, or faking having more men than you really have. One could also imagine a fancier version with a machinegun on it and built in teleportation, but I've a harder time envisioning a tactical advantage of this over simply having a normal machinegunner on the spot. All the things that kill stuff on their own probably fall under Doctrine: Fortification

Speaking of Deus Ex 3, I think I'mma play a bit of that. /Fwoosh
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2011, 10:47:39 am »

how do you keep misunderstanding me?!

The bomb is not a drone, it's entirely dumb and coordinates have to be set in advance. The explosive part would be based of the grenades we give our elites not any guns.

Do we really need Doctrine: fortification to figure out "hiding behind something heavy might keep us from getting killed". In that case shouldn't we die already for not having Doctrine: breathing? I'm literally talking about a crude metal box with a teleporter on it here, and maybe some sandbags attached to the insides of the walls to absorb fire. And maybe a mounting for a machinegun so the gunner don't have to lift the entire weight. No mana barrier, no automated turret system, absolutely no AI.

Making the turrets would be magitech. Fortification might be needed to make effective use of them, or to make them reliable, but the only thing that's different from the machineguns we pot on the tank is that it requires controlling something remotely and that they are smaller and crappier.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2011, 11:04:55 am »

If you're going to completely ignore everything I say about how things work in this, feel free to find a less mechanics-oriented game.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2011, 12:28:13 pm »

Seeing not enough room for both of them, one Elite teleports to the middle obstruction and the other teleports to the side.
Your Sergeant and Recruits, lacking any good targets, elect to sacrifice their attack for a second move.

S'pose I should run the Bandit turn now...
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2011, 01:13:12 pm »

Oh, and ability sustains reduce Elite and MG mana by 1 each, and at end of turn your MGs inflict 2 Morale damage on every enemy in their field of fire.
Anyway.

A bandit darts out from behind the obstruction at the center of their formation!

Lower MG fires!
+[85 Base Accuracy + 5 Suppressing Fire (Bonus from Ability) + 5 Attack + 5 Trained Accuracy] * 1.0 (no Experience bonus) = +95 to hit
-[2 Bandit Defense + 4 Bandit Movement (since he's running)] * .98 (Green Experience debuff) = -6 to hit
[+ 10 Out-of-cover bonus - 6 Distance Penalty (20-30 range bracket gives a base inaccuracy of, multiplied by 2 (fairly low) for the Machine Gun)] = +4 to hit
Total Accuracy: 93 (being caught out of cover is a bitch)
Roll: 26. Hit.

The Machine Gun hits for 5 Attack - (3 AP - 2 Defense [AP reduces defense; it is effective damage but only if less than or equal to their defense]) = 5 Damage
And 2 (Base for being attacked) + 5 Damage + 1 Doctrine: Superior Ranged Armament Level + 1 (Was attacked for taking an action) - 2 Officer (At least 1 Bandit Officer is present) = 7 Morale Damage

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doing this just to give you a quick sample of how these things are done and what the stats mean. Not going to show all the math from here out.

Rest of the bandit turn later. <_<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »

Hey Pandarsenic may I suggest that you add Hero Units ? Our character would be the only one we have at the moment, but other Hero Units could be found, or made during battle among the soldiers who show great abilities, and courage/
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32