Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39120 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Man/Woman of /Ambition/
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 10:12:45 am »

I suppose I'll try to follow up on that Gaslamp Fantasy thing.
I do suppose we're not limited to examples given in OP.

Style: Advanced Mechanics
Primary Doctrine: Sentient Automatons
Secondary Doctrine: Minituarization
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:40 am »

Yeah, as with MoS!!, any adequately legit idea will be made official.

Miniaturization seems a little... narrow-focused. Focusing on making an army of small robots could work, I guess... I dunno, I feel that's much more MoS!!-styled than this.

Edit: To add a bit, this is meant to be a bit more focused around resource-building and army/empire building. If you so desire, anyway. Your Ambition goes as far as you, the players, desire.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:33:37 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:04 am »

Name: Eamon O'Byrne
World: Milky Way, where a massive empire is already dead and just can't admit it, while various factions try to pick up the remnants and gain significant power for themselves.

Style: Furious soldiers.
Primary doctrine: Whiskey.
Secondary doctrine: Potatoes.

Yes.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:15 am »

Oh, I should add that if you guys pick a setting before concluding on your Style and Doctrines, I can start up the map and other worldgen stuff while you decide the rest of char creation.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:23 am »

Name: Sami Taiya
Setting: Sci-Fi, in which FTL travel is possible but does take some time (So about an hour to jump from earth to Alpha Centauri.). Most powers (For lack of a better word) are fairly limited in size, consisting of several star systems, and thus most species have several governments and cultures.

Style: Superior Soldiers.
Primary doctrine: Doctrine: Superior Ranged Weaponry.
Secondary doctrine: Doctrine: Superior Training.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:17:53 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:40 am »

Name: Jonathan Tuho.
Setting: Magic is diminishing, accessible mainly by relics of the days of ancient civilizations and the one or two yet surviving wizards on the world. Tech level is at the peak of the 16th century. However, governments are largely decentralized to the form of a loose federation with the one or two odd others.
Style: Uncanny strategist
Doctrine: Shock and Awe.

Oh, and the uncanny strategist text has an acronym attached in case you're interested
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:11:09 am by LordSlowpoke »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 11:15:30 am »

Yeah, as with MoS!!, any adequately legit idea will be made official.

Miniaturization seems a little... narrow-focused. Focusing on making an army of small robots could work, I guess... I dunno, I feel that's much more MoS!!-styled than this.

Edit: To add a bit, this is meant to be a bit more focused around resource-building and army/empire building. If you so desire, anyway. Your Ambition goes as far as you, the players, desire.
Minituarizarion would encompass individual components as well as whole automatons - so that you could design a death ray, minituarize it, and install it into your killclanks. Also, you could have a more advanced intelligence in them due to components of said intelligence being smaller, and easier to fit into a given frame.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Man (Tentatively) of /Ambition/
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

The point still stands, this is the kind of game where you'd generally have professional engineers designing any killbotics stuff for you.

Style: Uncanny Strategist would... I guess be the strategy equivalent of Style: Tactical Perfection?

Don't need to say what Taricus' suggestion would create, as I imagine that's a fairly obvious one by now.

HailFire's thing that I forgot to do a thing for earlier would be a lot of very sudden, dramatic, overwhelming attacks designed to hurt Morale more than kill people, though they'd certainly be good at the latter hen necessary. The primary Doctrine synergizing with Doctrine: Shock and Awe would lead to these attacks being very unpredictable. If you're familiar with studies showing ho animals punished at random times become (arguably, rationally) constantly fearful, it's kind of like that.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »

Right, so, I'm going to do what will either end up being "sleeping" or "napping," and in the meantime you guys will choose the setting. The major candidates so far:

1) Ringworld: No magic, science decayed. Somewhat industrialized. Government is collapsing and decentralizing.
2) Desert: A Mostapocalyptic (i.e. post-generic-apocalypse) wasteland. Tech-controlling megacorps contend for dominance. Small amount of magic.
3) Interstellar with a collapsed major government dissolving into power grabs errywhere. Possibly merge with the next idea, an interstellar multi-species setting with better-than-nothing-but-not-instant FTL travel. "Small" powers holding a handful of planets at most. No homogenous species
4) 16th-century-ish, magic-fading, with a loose federation and a handful of other noteworthy powers.
With the additional suggestion of a world with a small amount of magic and a large amount of science but no real further details.

Feel free to combine elements of those. I'm axing a couple things at my discretion (explained below) and I'll choose one or more of those above, as determined by Audience Participation, upon awakening.

Spoiler: Removed Choices (click to show/hide)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 12:39:21 pm »

I vote for a gaslamp world. Crap. Let's take a paranoia-style post-apocalypse world.

Indifferent on character

Style: Mechanical
doctrine: Superior ranged armament
sec. Doctrine: battlefield improvisation

I like going all out Steampunk.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »

Okay, got caught reading something, but before I go:

If there isn't adequate definitiveness that I can just go "Fuck it, we're taking this setting anyway," I'm going to reserve the right to axe ANYTHING that hasn't been seconded.

Also, I'm only around a third done reading what I got caught on, so I'll be around for a handful more minutes. And I'm gone. Catch you all in some quantity of hours.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:56:49 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »

Name:Gustavus Filip
Setting: 16th-century-ish, magic-fading, with a loose federation and a handful of other noteworthy powers (4)

Style: Magnificent Moustaches Intense Discipline and Drill
Primary Doctrine: Superior Infantry
Secondary Doctrine: Superior Ranged Armament.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 04:16:48 pm »

Setting: palaeolithic economy with sparse people and no agriculture nor mass production, and no unaided magic, but powerful magitech with things like uranium-tiped kiloton-yield spears (very rare), long-range telepathic circlets forming an internet-like network (you can throw one together in an hour if you know somehting about basket weaving), and golems about as smart as 1990's robotics (about equal value to a horse).

edit: spelling
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:54 pm »

Indifferent about name/gender

Setting: A post-apocalyptic nuclear desert, where a few giant corporations who've hoarded superior technology hold sway over the remains of civilization while struggling for dominance. Magic is rare, but powerful.

Style: Magitech

Doctrine: Decentralized Command Structure or Mobility
Doctrine: Shock and Awe
I'll just support this idea.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »

Indifferent about name/gender

Setting: A post-apocalyptic nuclear desert, where a few giant corporations who've hoarded superior technology hold sway over the remains of civilization while struggling for dominance. Magic is rare, but powerful.

Style: Magitech

Doctrine: Decentralized Command Structure or Mobility
Doctrine: Shock and Awe
I also support this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32