Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39134 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Man of /Ambition/ - Suggestion Game
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2011, 01:22:25 pm »

Problem is, you'll have resentment.  The people have a good thing going here- the most disruptive thing here is us.  We can give a great speech, but the best thing we can promise is a "return to the glory days:" something vague.  I doubt there's much we can say that will inspire anyone.

An alternate choice is to make a low-key announcement that we're now in charge, but that things will be the same, aside from new jobs in the factories.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2011, 01:36:30 pm »

Toaster probably has the best idea there - "Sorry, we're in charge, back to your business, factory work: coming soon!" We can try to recruit later. Drafting is a bad idea. Just recruit.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

While you guys work that out, just gonna give a quick FYI that I totally herped the HP scaling and am fixing it this update.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »

Short and... non-inflammatory, you suppose, is the best to aim for. "We apologize for any inconvenience; while I am assuming control, I hope to influence you lives as minimally as possible. The factories will be functioning soon and labor in them will be well-paid but will also have safety precautions. I believe we're going to take a few days, at least, to familiarize ourselves with their workings and make sure they won't be harmful to The Shell before activating them on a large scale; until then, consider things to be business as usual. That will be all for now." You nod and step away; the crowd disperses shortly.

"Not bad, Commander. We've just received your plans for factories to produce the equipment you recommended for our Sergeants, Machine Gunner support units, and of course our basic Infantry. Three of the men are checking it out now. Additionally, another three are on a general scouting mission to check for anything unpleasant within The Shell and another three are checking the immediate outside." He checked each thing off in his head as he went. "That is, I believe, everything immediately pressing. We're ready to receive further orders. Some of the former guards here wish to join us, but that will be for you to decide. when and where, or if, they're to be considered."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2011, 02:34:02 pm »

Put the guards who want to join under a grueling training regimen, those that pass it are allowed in. Also do signifigant background checks on them as we can't afford any corrupt soldiers.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »

Send them on scouting missions with a small group, say 3, of our elites observing them, preferably hidden. Have the elites submit a report...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2011, 06:59:04 pm »

I'm more interested in the background checks than the grueling training regimen. We don't have any skill in training, frankly, we skipped on that for some reason. I'm not sure we should accept them at all - they turned pretty quickly in the first place - but we're not exactly in a position to be picky, so if they want to be a regional power, let's give 'em some instruction on how we do things, make sure they'll follow all our orders, and get 'em equipped, if they aren't already.

Edit: Just noticed we don't have a name yet. Why don't we insist on being called Nemo or something? We must have some sort of name until we decide on our proper name. Perhaps the Shellord? Perhaps it's a bit early for that. Still.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:22:18 pm by SirBayer »
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »

Lord Turtle!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »

Well, I'm just going to repost my character suggestion.

Name: Sami Taiya

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

Note, it's not as if you can't train people at all. Your Elites can impart the Officer Trait for Sergeant training and the Infantry are easy to train up.

Don't forget you managed to get 15 Magitech Elites in the first place.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

They're also handpicked, as you said.

There's no harm in recruiting them.  Set them all to guard the Shell.  Start a rotation to go on scouting missions.  The ones that do well can become mainline infantry- the crappy ones can just stay here as guards.  We have a need for warm bodies, and there aren't a lot here to go around.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2011, 05:54:28 am »

Your second-in-command reports in a few hours.

"Well, Commander, we've convinced thirty of the former soldiers to join us. Most want to be on defensive duties; since that's where you wanted them, we told them that anyone who signed on now could choose their initial posting.

"We did some initial trials, and determined four of them had leadership qualities; one we already made a Sergeant, and by the end of the week the other three will be qualified as well. The other 26 have been made Recruits. Any number of Recruits can be attached to a unit without disrupting its command structure, but their combat skills are... lacking. Now, the initial reports on Labor, the Farms, Foundries, and Factories:

"Labor is provided by civilians, with their effectiveness based on their opinion of you. Respect is more difficult to gain even though it will rise over time if you keep things going smoothly, but counts for twice as much as Fear. Fear is easy to gain, but produces less enthusiastic Labor. Negative Respect hurts Labor rates, but negative Fear means the citizens love you, and results in your Fear generating labor as though it were added to your your Respect - that is, negative 3 Fear would act as though it were an additional 3 Respect. Loyalty acts as a multiplier on that total. Accounting for those too young or old to work, disabilities, and the like, we get about 1% of our civilian population size in Labor. For instance, The Shell has 520 civilians; we get about 5.2 Labor, but with values of about 7 Respect, 4 Fear, and 2 Loyalty, we get an extra ((7*2+4)*2) = 36%. That gives us 7.1 Labor to use throughout the week. As your territory grows, we can abstract this and automate things in territories you aren't in to a monthly scale, but that won't be needed for some time.  As a final note regarding Labor, keep in mind that the more Respected you are the less likely people are to Fear you; conversely, the more you're Feared the harder it is to gain their respect. Keep that in mind when dealing with places you wish to annex, as you begin developing a reputation with them from your first contact, even before you rule them, and your reputation is not wiped clean once your conquest is complete. Regarding population, having 10 Residential Zones and 2 Barracks currently in place, we can house up to 1000 civilians and 400 military units with no overcrowding. We won't have to worry about expanding on that for quite some time. Now, for our production capabilities:

"A Large Farm produces 100 Food per week - enough for a hundred people, as 1 Food is enough for one person for a week - at the cost of .5 Labor. The Shell has 6, providing for our 520 civilians, our 45 soldiers, you, and producing 34 surplus - something I'm sure you'll find useful when we need to march. A Foundry converts Raw Materials into useable Resources at a rate of 2 Raw Materials to 1 Resource; it can do this 20 times per week, all at the cost of 1 Labor. However, the Foundry is only that Labor-efficient at full capacity; if you use a Foundry even once in a week, the whole Labor point is consumed. Factories are similar; they can convert 2 Resources into 1 Equipment, doing this 5 times per 1 Labor per week, but as with a Foundry, any unused portion of their production capabilities is simply lost.

"That leads me to how we're getting Raw Materials. Until we come into possession of a Mine or territories that pay Tribute to us, or you finish that Magitech device to turn waste into metal your notes had scribbled at the bottom, we have to Salvage. Salvage earns us 4 Raw Materials for every .1 Labor. Any Labor that cannot be assigned effectively to anywhere else will be automatically dedicated towards Salvage unless you specifically order otherwise.

"Thus our current distribution of work: 3 Labor is going to the Farms, 1 to the Foundry, 2 to each Factory, and the remaining 1.1 to salvage. This gives us 600-566 Food, for 34 Surplus, as well as bringing in 44 Raw Materials. The foundry then operates at full capacity, converting 40 of those Raw Materials into 20 Resources; the Factories, also at full capacity, each convert 10 Resources into 5 Equipment. By the end of this week, we'll have 10 Equipment and 4 leftover Raw Materials. Equipment requirements for each of our standard loadouts have been added to the primary listing. Since the Sergeants will be equipped with retooled armaments they had, I would personally recommend using that 10 Equipment to form 2 squads each with 1 of us Elites, 2 Sergeants, 4 Infantry, 1 Machine Gunner, and as many Recruits as you deem suitable.

"Finally, The Shell has a Laboratory. Any week you spend in a city with a Laboratory, you can research Magitech, advance the principles of a Doctrine, or seek understanding of a new Style or Doctrine."

Barring any alterations you wish to make to our current plans, those on active military duty will begin our longer-range scouting missions since The Shell and its immediate zone has been secured. We can take some Recruits with us, if you wish; as Officers, we can keep them in line and reduce their chance of dying to fatal wounds, and any sorties we have will make valuable lessons that contributes towards them becoming Experienced. Skill gained as a Recruit is still relevant once they have their Magitech Infantry gear, after all. While we're doing that, you should have plenty of time for research and for managing things here if you feel the need."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:40:57 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of /Ambition/ - Update 4, "Why Can't I Hold All This Exposition?"
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2011, 06:06:58 am »

Well, I guess we could start researching superior soldiers, though I'm going to wonder what else we could research like new equipment and such.

And I think that's two characters that need names...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2011, 06:11:28 am »

>"Thank you, Number One, that's all very informative. However, there are two things I'd like to note. First, that's fifty-four food surplus per week. Not much, if I'm two units short in a crisis, I don't want it to be due to a mathematical error. And second, as much as I appreciate you coming here to tell me everything in person, presenting everything in text form is also appropriate, and less time-consuming.

You can carry on with the current scouting orders, and yes, feel free to assign a few Recruits to each group. Dismissed."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2011, 06:37:08 am »

We shall spend our time in the laboratory, enhancing our advantage in long-ranged combat.

We should manufacture a stockpile to safely store excess food...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32