Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39127 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 7.5, Achievement Unlocked: Gender Certainty
« Reply #360 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:10 pm »

I think we need to research some non-magitech stuff seeing as we are currently putting everything we got on our magi-tech, but if we run into an enemy who can neutralize mana, or magitech items, then we won't be able to stand a chance in a fight against them.
I agree with this.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:56 pm »

I also suggest that the research be a vehicle design for a transport boat with some light weaponry (We might also need something to carry it to water though)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 15, 2011, 08:58:47 pm »

I would very much like it if we had access to mana batteries that could be plugged into some magitech equipment and permit a magically inert individual to operate the device. Obviously this wouldn't work with an invasive magitech interface and would be of limited power, but giving a raider commando a single use each of mana bomb and short-range teleport could result in a dramatic improvement in capabilities...

The downside is that it would create technology that would allow technology that is currently useful only to our own forces to be operated by other entities. Though we are likely to encounter other magitech powers eventually and the batteries would add bulk, resulting in reduced efficiency, and may well result in those who replicate our technology to be less potent than if they had developed their own...

Oh, it's not a matter of an invidual being magically inert. It's just a matter of equipment and a bit of training to understand how to interface oneself with the equipment. Someone recovers your stuff, they won't have any idea how to use it unless they capture and interrogate someone or they have a spy/traitor among you teach them.

Also, the general lack of magic means that nobody really expects to encounter Magic/Magitech, much less have a readied countermeasure, at least for a while. As long as your Fame is fairly low, in fact, you can basically expect nearly nobody to be prepared for what you can bring against them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 16, 2011, 01:00:15 am »

I would like to get our commandos up to working order, but I would rather focus on knowledge is power and detect anyone who can neutralise magic before we engage them. That way any non-magical technology we produce would be tailored to our opponent. Bare in mind that even if someone can neutralise magic, they still need to get the neutralisation effect to interact with our magic. Investing in some long-range, magically-powered kinetic weapons would seem to be a viable precautionary measure. And while kinetic munitions would be reserved they could probably also be equipped with magical munitions for greater effectiveness against other targets...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 16, 2011, 08:34:59 am »

The thing is that we dont even know if that is possible.
From a general perspective, someone who could do that would be out of our league anyway, and from a metagamey perspective, that would be pretty OP.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 16, 2011, 01:23:49 pm »

Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it.

Where are you even getting the idea that magic-neutralizing is a thing you're going to face any time in the appreciable future? There are places I'm considering giving it. On other. Continents. And not as a general thing, as an EMP sort of thing, because sending you against someone who can systematically disable all your shit is stupid.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2011, 12:05:51 am »

For clarity, a thing in a PM discussing this (with a little bit of verbal cleaning to make one part less ambiguous):

... it's WEEK 3 right now. You can't DO anything if I bring in something that would basically take all your guys and set their Attack values to 0 and their Defense values to like 2. When you have options, legitimate ways to deal with such a thing, yeah. Hell, depending how long clearing this continent (or getting bored with it and leaving it half-conquered as you attack somewhere else) you might even face it earlier depending on rolls once you hit the less pre-defined areas.

But I'm not going to throw it in with a total of 7 levels of Styles/Doctrines and only a single city's resources at your disposal. That'd be just mean. Furthermore, by his steering it back that way, it derails it from consideration of things that might actually be useful. Things are going to keep upscaling over time whether you make good or bad research decisions (or for that matter, whether your rolls are super insanely good like they have been or whether they're ridiculously awful), and if you guys constantly go "All right let's figure out how to make ballistic tech" or other sidegrades it'll be too late to do anything when you first get the attention of a megacorp city-state and they decide to roll you with airstrikes or whatever.

So that's why I was a little heavy-handed in trying to steer things away from that for now.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:41 am »

I propose that we wish to deal with the oceanic raiders. I see two approaches to this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suggest that we require significant resources to mount an effective assault. To that end I feel that economic progress is required.

Long-term plan:
 Research transport vehicles, build two large farms, trade food for materials, offer to provide defensive military support in exchange for resource compensation.
 Research scout vehicles, patrol the wastes and enact an universal nonaggression pact. Ostracise, siege, banish, and/or destroy nonsignatories.
 Research knowledge is power or espionage. Locate platforms.
 Research all-terrain military transports. Stockpile vehicle parts.
 Research vehicle weapons.
 Research all-terrain combat vehicles.
 Produce army. deploy army. I conquered.

P.S.
 Shock vehicles require shock weapons, in the absence of chemical technology a flame-thrower seems inappropriate...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2011, 06:02:09 am »

You know, we could just ask to station a garrison in the town and then steal the ships the raiders come on...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2011, 06:58:48 am »

Wait, the bandits are occupying offshore drilling platforms. If the platforms survived, odd are the pipes leading up to them are intact as well. Would we be able to locate said pipes and use them to send an infiltration team, or barring that, a huge-ass mana bomb to wreck the place?

And speaking of "non-suicidal" ways to attack the fortress, with our magitek we could probably have quite admirable chances of constructing working submersible vehicles. They fortified themselves on the ocean, fine. What are the odds they fortified themselves under the ocean? If we could make a Thunderhead variant that is able to move underwater (with mana barriers to reinforce hull perhaps, and using simple magitek motor-propellers with a magitek interface to steer it), we could use it to blow the raiders' rigs out from under them, and then use our regular land forces to deal with the survivors' last counterattack.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2011, 07:16:08 am »

Wait, the bandits are occupying offshore drilling platforms. If the platforms survived, odd are the pipes leading up to them are intact as well. Would we be able to locate said pipes and use them to send an infiltration team, or barring that, a huge-ass mana bomb to wreck the place?

And speaking of "non-suicidal" ways to attack the fortress, with our magitek we could probably have quite admirable chances of constructing working submersible vehicles. They fortified themselves on the ocean, fine. What are the odds they fortified themselves under the ocean? If we could make a Thunderhead variant that is able to move underwater (with mana barriers to reinforce hull perhaps, and using simple magitek motor-propellers with a magitek interface to steer it), we could use it to blow the raiders' rigs out from under them, and then use our regular land forces to deal with the survivors' last counterattack.

If the pipes are intact why not destroy the raiders, and take control of the platforms to get them running again. We could then use teh oil we gain from it to use as a trade good to other citites, and it would help us by adding yet another perspectinve city that is pretty much invulnerable if the enemy has no naval units.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2011, 07:20:59 am »

Just going to drop in to say there's no "right" way I have in mind for how to deal with Lemuria. Everything mentioned so far has been valid, though.

'Cept that "Generator of Thaums" thing. Magic is not a particle, it is a magic. Sorry. :V
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2011, 08:25:00 am »

If the pipes are intact why not destroy the raiders, and take control of the platforms to get them running again. We could then use teh oil we gain from it to use as a trade good to other citites, and it would help us by adding yet another perspectinve city that is pretty much invulnerable if the enemy has no naval units.
If the enemy has no naval or air units. Which any self-respecting corporation would have in sufficient number.

Besides, if the raiders are actually "entrenched" in the ocean, as it were, how much do you think will be left of the platforms by the time we've smoked everyone out of them? And then there're the dangers of that PoseiOdin guy being savvy enough to install self-destruct mechanisms for the unlikely event of a platform being captured. If we take the high chances of the rigs being damaged beyond repair (or to the point where repair would be prohibitively expensive) during capture as a fact, we only have to weigh the slight chance of potential gain from an operational drilling rig against the near-certainty of losing an inordinate amount of soldiers and equipment should we attempt to capture one in a direct assault. I think our troops' morale (and Loyalty, and Respect) would be much higher if we presented them with a battle plan not inspired by Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War. ;)

Unless you think we could actually capture the platforms through the pipes. We'd need a goddamn army of Commandos to take over the rigs quickly and stealthily enough not to alert the various ships in the surrounding area - or else the rigs will likely be simply blown up along with our troops. And if my memory serves me right, we currently have a grand total of one Commando - and he's a raider. And without proper equipment.

In short, we'd likely be much better off with discreetly sabotaging the platforms rather than attempting capture. If you really want to, blow up half of the occupied rigs, and threaten the rest with destruction if they don't vacate and/or surrender themselves. Diplomacy like that seems to be our strong point. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:21 am »

Actually, he DOES have equipment, just not magitech...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29:23 am »

It's just that we don't have any research in that area. He'd be out there, alone and bonusless, no better than a regular trooper.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32