Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39155 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Man of /Ambition/ - Update 7, Magic Truck / Awesome Personnel Carrier
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2011, 02:57:46 pm »

Thunderhead is awesome- it has my full support.

For the ATV:  Butterfly  (It flits about and isn't dangerous in combat?)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2011, 02:58:04 pm »

Why not "Thunderspear" for the APC instead? Also, make the roof on the ATV convertable and call it the "Windrider".
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 13, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

Yeah, it's class/model. You're gonna take at least another week to produce one of them. Two for the APC if you don't drop everything to make it.

Thunderhead seems like a pretty good choice. :3

Taricus: If you have a screwdriver, the roof is convertible. :P
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 13, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »

I like the bob-sled idea, but I think that if we are using a magitech interface then the pilot may as well be lying in a comfortable position with all sensory data being supplied by the interface, so it really doesn't matter where they are looking. I would give it the ability to boost its engines so that it could jump to go over obstacles or to fire over cover. I would like two variants, a light one with high speed and shock weapons, say a mana grenade launcher and the magitech equivalent of a flame-thrower, and a heavy variant, with heavy armour and weapons, say a heavy machine gun and a specific anti-armour weapon, perhaps some sort of matter disruptor that would remove the surface of any object it interacted with. Ideally such a weapon would be compatible with convergent beams so that multiple weapons could collaborate to erode the armour of a single target.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

I suggest we begin researching lightly equipped Sentry Drones to help with defense, and patrol around the Shell. This will allow us to use our actual forces to flank an enemy , or quickly strike at their weak point while they are engaged with these drones, and they would also make good scouts since there is no risk of losing an actual soldier.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 13, 2011, 06:37:42 pm »

what RAM said
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 13, 2011, 11:39:26 pm »

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that we have even the beginnings of the automation required to make autonomous weapons. It would raise ethical questions if we magically imbued something with independent mental processes, even simple ones... Not that I am currently against the idea...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 14, 2011, 03:39:41 am »

Things to know:

Spoiler: Statblocks (click to show/hide)

RULES UPDATE
Salvage: .1 Labor produces 4 Raw Materials, with every 1 Labor of Raw Materials Salvage producing an additional 1 Vehicle Part; alternatively, you may assign 1 Labor of dedicated Parts Salvage, which retrieves precisely 2 Parts for 1 Labor.
Factory: 1 Labor per week, 2 Resources to 1 Equipment (Up to 5 times per Factory per week) or 2 Resources to 1 Vehicle Part (Up to 5 times per Factory per week)

For those who don't like math, Salvaging Parts is about 146% 90% 73% as efficient as harvesting the materials and processing them. Producing them from scrap is better than just going "All right, no Foundries or Factories this week. Everyone Salvage!" on account of me realizing that you could exploit that (Parts gain rates from Salvage used to be substantially higher before I realized the abuse potential of ignoring the Foundries/Factories; dedicating Labor to Salvaging Parts was meant to supplement that, not strictly dominate it) to gain 16 Parts instead of 15 by just heading out and straight-up Salvaging everything in sight.

Gonna shower then probably gonna update first post before sleeping. If you guys want to give me some numbers on the distribution of your 10 Equipment now, go ahead and do that.

And if I fucked something up because I'm tired, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:42:26 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 14, 2011, 03:55:53 am »

Not sure what's fucked up, but the 90% bit confuses me. If you salvage parts directly, 1 labor gives you 2 parts. If you just salvage stuff, 1 labor gives you 4 Raw Materials and 1 part, which you could convert to 2 parts at roughly 1.3 labor, at maximum efficiency. You spend 30% more labor gaining parts if you just salvage RM, so directly salvaging parts is roughly 23% more efficient than RM salvage... and now I'm sure I fucked the math up somewhere. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 14, 2011, 04:00:53 am »

If batteries are possible, 4 equipment worth of batteries, otherwise add one scout.
One scout.
Convert remaining resources into parts and save them.
Read the First Post!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 14, 2011, 04:39:11 am »

Not sure what's fucked up, but the 90% bit confuses me. If you salvage parts directly, 1 labor gives you 2 parts. If you just salvage stuff, 1 labor gives you 4 Raw Materials and 1 part, which you could convert to 2 parts at roughly 1.3 labor, at maximum efficiency. You spend 30% more labor gaining parts if you just salvage RM, so directly salvaging parts is roughly 23% more efficient than RM salvage... and now I'm sure I fucked the math up somewhere. :P
Eh, the numbers I got were off:
4 Labor (Salvaging Directly) gives 8 Parts [was 9 when I wrote down 90%]
4 Labor (Factory Use, counting the 1 Labor generating its own 1 Part and the 40 Raw Materials needed to run through 1 Foundry and 2 Factories) gives 11 Parts [Was 10 when I wrote down 90%]

Those particular numbers ended up getting killed because under those rules you were about as well off just harvesting Raw Materials with your spare Labor. Hurr hurr.

RAM: First, mana batteries are a misc. research you haven't done yet. This week was focused on vehicle technologies (also a good roll got you two). You didn't have awareness of the need for Parts at the beginning of the week so your Factories have been tooled for processing things into Equipment and already made 10 of that, but-

OH
OH
I remember something I knew I was forgetting. I'm starting you with 15 Parts salvaged from vehicle husks in and immediately around The Shell (mostly by stripping a former parking lot or three of whatever The Shell once was for anything that's still intact).

So you can make up to 3 Paperbacks or you can make a Thunderhead.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:46:26 am by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 14, 2011, 04:56:40 am »

I'm pretty sure we can begin construction anytime, this isn't Starcraft. Give production orders for two Paperbacks, and get them started on a Thunderhead using the few leftover parts. They'll have enough work for the week doing that, and by then we'll have more parts. Once the PB's (PeeBees?) are done, assign one to each of our scout squads.

Btw, I find it amusing that levelling Magitek will increase the Paperback's natural defense more than the bonus it gains from Mana Barrier.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:59:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 14, 2011, 05:03:40 am »

Actually, Give the PBs to the reserve recruits. I'd rather see our squads mounted in Thunderheads.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2011, 06:34:36 am »

We will probably want to redesignate our squads to better take advantage of the carrying capacity of various vehicles. Scout forces could consist of a Thunderhead and four Paperbacks, with some passenger-space on the Thunderhead left empty for extra supplies and storage of anything they want to retrieve. Combat Forces could have two Thunderheads and two Paperbacks, the Thunderheads loaded to the brim with combat forces...

It seems to me that our forces are very poorly equipped, we should probably promote as many as we can. I would like to see the bandits upgraded to a force of one officer and four commandos and it would be good the get them some experience. A well trained espionage unit could be a great asset. Otherwise I would like to see as few rookies on active duty as possible. The technology behind the Thunderhead offers great possibilities for machine gunners, so I would lean towards getting more of them than seems wise, but still aiming for more infantry.

So...
 1 raider commando
 4 magitech infantry (1 per squad)
 4 magitech machine gunners (1 per squad)
 1 equipment conserved.

2 Paperbacks
 7 parts reserved

5 parts refined next turn
 remaining production preserved for equipment.
Read the First Post!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2011, 09:34:39 am »

I don't see a Paperback or two making much of a difference in our abilities (four or five in a squad is another story.)  Why not go straight for the Thunderhead?  Get it up and running, and it can go around as the "party van" impressing all the local villages. 

"Check our sweet ride- look at it hover, teleport around, and protect our dudes from your small arms fire.  Don't you want to be on our team?"

Yes, the Thaumatank can do all that and blow holes in walls besides, but it can only be in one place at once, and it'd probably be a good idea to keep it somewhat close to the Shell.

Once that's done, we can build up parts to where we can get a whole squad of Paperbacks, and then send them out to scout more distant areas.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32