Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Woman of /Ambition/ - Update 8, I Delayed This Long For This?  (Read 39164 times)

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Man of /Ambition/ - Update 6.5, Why Can't I Hold All These Bullets?
« Reply #270 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »

Research magitek, we want some kind of light vehicle.  At some point we should try to get psychics or some sort of other weapon that can damage the enemy's mind directly.  The grenades' psychic terror seemed pretty powerful, we might want to invest in similar tech at some point.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 11, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

Research Magitech to get light vehicles.

Squad C should make contact non-threateningly, and break off to return home if they get shot at. The elites should hide nearby in case the rest of the squad gets "invited" into the city at gunpoint and taken prisoner. As they don't know we can teleport, the elites should then be able to free the others.

Squad D should return to the city. Afterall, we might be an expeditionary force from Armitage Corporation or something (Unless they make the connection that we're the ones with the tank, at which point they'd want to hurt us even more), scouting out how valuable the area is. In that case, they'd likely want to annihilate our squad with overwhelming numbers under cover of night, before we can finish scouting. Staying in one place for a few days is asking to be ambushed, and I don't like the thought of risking travel back through the area with an understrength squad. We should come back with either two squads or a squad with vehicle support.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:21:56 pm by Nirur Torir »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »

Research Magitech to get light vehicles.

Squad C should make contact non-threateningly, and break off to return home if they get shot at. The elites should hide nearby in case the rest of the squad gets "invited" into the city at gunpoint and taken prisoner. As they don't know we can teleport, the elites should then be able to free the others.

Squad D should return to the city. Afterall, we might be an expeditionary force from Armitage Corporation or something (Unless they make the connection that we're the ones with the tank, at which point they'd want to hurt us even more), scouting out how valuable the area is. In that case, they'd likely want to annihilate our squad with overwhelming numbers under cover of night, before we can finish scouting. Staying in one place for a few days is asking to be ambushed, and I don't like the thought of risking travel back through the area with an understrength squad. We should come back with either two squads or a squad with vehicle support.
This I agree with.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 11, 2011, 03:31:40 pm »

Squad C's approach goes well enough - the guards are cautious, alert, and look well-trained, but not unnecessarily hostile.

"I say, sirs," a man in some incredibly dapper salvaged-and-repaired pre-apocalypse clothing calls out from the wall. "I see your approach is not from the coast, but you are well-armed and move like disciplined soldiers - much better than the Raider rabble, to be sure. Come you to Invictus as friend or foe?"

"Friend," the Sergeant replies cautiously. The well-dressed man signals a gate guard, and a heavily fortified gate in the mighty walls sealing the city slides open.

"Enter, then. We can speak inside. It would not be gentlemanly to leave you outside in the sand, dirt, and danger if you have business here."

You can relay a suggested cover story to them by radio and order your Elites to do something, if you desire.

Squad D returns to The Shell without incident; while here, they will be healed for a small amount and restore some mana in the comfort of the Shell based on the number of days they stay. (Base of 2 HP and 2/3 of a Mana unit per day, with 3 days before the next week starts). If you garrison them and send out a different squad next week, they can heal while training (barring any unfortunate incidents, which will remove that particular day's rest/repair value). Also, at the end of the week you'll have another 10 Equipment to assign.

Finally, your food surplus is becoming narrow; immigrants aren't a fantastically common event, but a shortfall would be dangerous. You will officially get the Small Farm option (.3 Labor, 50 food) which costs .5 Labor to build and can later be upgraded to a Large Farm soon but basically you can make one whenever. I'd recommend doing it when you have enough spare Raw Materials that pulling the Salvagers off for that duty won't cause a stop in Equipment production efficiency and are concerned about another immigrant wave or a random crop shortfall event.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:47 pm »

My two cents: Build a bunch of small farms, upgrade them, but don't use them till we need to. As far as I can tell, there is no upkeep for buildings, so we should build a bunch of farms now and not have to worry about running out of food in the future (for a while, at least).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »

Where does the mana for machine guns come from? Will we need to make mana batteries if we want nonmagical units to use magical devices? If so I would like to build some rechargeable ones now so that they can be charged now while our garrison units are not taxed. I would like to see mana shields that can be deployed near-instantly and provide cover, preferably with some measure of one-way visibility...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2011, 07:18:21 pm »

I think we should try to establish friendly relations with them, rather then immediately trying to annex them. Give the same story as we gave to the other town, but be less aggressive with our diplomatic attempts. I don't see a problem with saying where we're from as a show of faith.

If they do turn out to be hostile, I'd still rather keep our teleportation abilities a secret for now. Keep the elites in hiding.

Where does the mana for machine guns come from? Will we need to make mana batteries if we want nonmagical units to use magical devices? If so I would like to build some rechargeable ones now so that they can be charged now while our garrison units are not taxed. I would like to see mana shields that can be deployed near-instantly and provide cover, preferably with some measure of one-way visibility...
That would be fun. We should research Doctrine: Fortifications in our third week.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2011, 10:36:41 pm »

My two cents: Build a bunch of small farms, upgrade them, but don't use them till we need to. As far as I can tell, there is no upkeep for buildings, so we should build a bunch of farms now and not have to worry about running out of food in the future (for a while, at least).

Buildings don't have any upkeep or build costs in The Shell yet, since you're basically just re-purposing area that's already there and divided up and everything. Once you reach a certain point (10ish buildings in The Shell or 5 elsewhere), you'll start to need Technicians with to keep building maintenance up (costs 1 Equipment to get them their tools and such). Also, if (heaven forbid) you implement capitalism, you'll initiate an economy more awful than that a Fortress and be reminded why most forts never make actual coins. The one thing stopping your plan is that you REALLY need your Equipment right now and thus your labor is rather valuable.

Oh, and if you do implement capitalism (in case you can't tell I'm warning you away from even considering it), dwarves don't try to charge you-the-player for making the buildings you designate. Then ask extra for overtime pay for the workers. Then...

RAM: Mana for your pew pew is provided by your soldiers; for general use (e.g. normal attacks like the Assault Rifle three-round burst or the MG burst) the mana they don't otherwise use combined with a small amount hijacked from the environment (what little there is, since it comes from life sources and even bacteria aren't in the wasteland in great numbers [in fact, infection of wounds is one of the few problems of the pre-apocalypse that isn't worse now than it used to be]) means that it isn't costing them much personally; however, heavy use (firing a mana grenade, unloading full-auto in Suppressing/Covering Fire or Fire At Will, firing several bursts in rapid succession as part of an Infantry/Recruit volley called by a Sergeant) uses part of their max mana pool. Making mana batteries is very much a thing you can do, but requires more Magitech research to create then, as with most useful things, consuming Equipment for them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

I vote for magitech research then, and spend our next load of equipment on some heavy armour for our garrisons.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »

You haven't researched Magitech Armor yet. :I Slow down, cowboy.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 12, 2011, 03:47:35 am »

Maybe we could make conventional armour, it is only for garrison troops so it shouldn't require too much mobility and a certain amount of variation could be an asset if we come up against an antimagic alloy or something...
Read the First Post!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 12, 2011, 03:56:05 am »

To specify: Anyone who has any quantity of Defense value has some sort of armor, like a flak jacket.

Anyone who has Magitech-scaling defense has some amount of Magitech installed in their armor.

You haven't researched heavy Magitech armor - the kind of stuff that lets someone walk straight into the enemy with their sheer defense values and negates Armor Piercing's effects (and its minimum damage effect, which you haven't seen yet and I'm too tired to explain).
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:36 am »

But we should research Magitek either way. (er, what's the correct spelling on that, anyway? "Magitek" or "Magitech"?) For now, we should start by reverse-engineering the T-Tank's hovertreads. Make designs for a light transport. We'll need it for moving many troops quickly, as well as trading things with villages we ally with rather than annex.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2011, 05:18:09 am »

Oh, okay, so for heavy conventional armour we would need to research personal protection or something similar. Well I still want to research pure magitech for our mana batteries, we could add an additional MG to each squad, but that would be pushing it. I would like a sniper weapon, probably one per squad, the sergeants seem to like that sort of thing but they also stay close to the recruits, probably want to give the sniper rifles to someone who can act independently. We might be able to add a scout vehicle to each squad, some sort of mana-powered lightly-armoured unicycle probably. Or some sort of armoured carrier, probably with a driver, gunner, captain, and enough space for half of a squad. Give it a mana shield, heavy machine gun, and possibly a grenade launcher. If we could build two of them we could field a whole mounted squad and give them some healthy support fire too... We need more mobility for hover technology I suppose, the waste-land is probably fairly unpleasant to tires, tracks are probably a bit too mundane for magitech to work well, lets make it a walker, give it six legs and rely on the mana-shield rather than redundancy.
Read the First Post!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:44 am »

Research:  Light magitech vehicles.  Again, we're not really mobile if we're on foot.  Plus, even a couple simple buggies or technicals would help in combat quite a bit.

Squad C:  As suggested by Nirur:
I think we should try to establish friendly relations with them, rather then immediately trying to annex them. Give the same story as we gave to the other town, but be less aggressive with our diplomatic attempts. I don't see a problem with saying where we're from as a show of faith.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32