Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74]

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141130 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]
« Reply #1095 on: August 15, 2012, 03:55:06 am »

No hydrogen would be free, and the reaction takes place inside cells in the cell liquid (cytoplasm)
Also to note is Hydrogen wont react so long as the 'ballon' its in is thick enought and insulated against oxygen. I would personaly suggest we find a way to use helium/noble gasses since they dont go boom (they are rarer though so it depends on what utility your going for)

That formula is not feesable to my knowlegde. You wouldnt get O molecules on their own like that, it would be 3xO'2 unless you found a way to systamatically store the oxygen atoms in isolation from each other, or bound to a carryer molecule of some kind. Feel free to link me the reaction type your using though, ide be interested to see.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 15, 2012, 06:59:50 am »

I assume that Edio placed them like that (within the brackets) to suggest they'd undergo a later chemical reaction of their own. I was never sure what it meant when products were inside brackets (unless it was something like (NO)2).

Perhaps it means it then goes on to create 6 more H2O.

In which case it's safely bound.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:31 am »

I assume that Edio placed them like that (within the brackets) to suggest they'd undergo a later chemical reaction of their own. I was never sure what it meant when products were inside brackets (unless it was something like (NO)2).

Perhaps it means it then goes on to create 6 more H2O.

In which case it's safely bound.
If I remember correctly, the hydrogen and the oxygen would be contained in carrier molecules, and normally used to create additionall energy (By using the positive ions to create a difference in charge on the inside and the outside of the inner membrame of your mitochondria.). However, since we're planning to go forge, we don't need to do that.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »

Wat?

When did this game become a biochem class?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »

ah i see what youve done :) thankys for clearing that up.

The creature is a little too small to do anything major at the moment. I would suggest getting a bit bigger.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 15, 2012, 09:02:19 pm »

I would like to maintain our transparency, which may already have been lost due to grabbing every stray upgrade we could find. Also note that my idea of pressure-based muscles was mostly based upon cells with the capacity to alter their density, rather than pumping fluid around as would be the case with a classical hydraulic system, but if you put expanding cells in fluid then you get a similar result... If we have spare hydrogen then could we fly using hot air. The energy requirements would be significant but maybe if we can get a large surface area photosynthesising...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1101 on: August 15, 2012, 09:59:36 pm »

Wat?

When did this game become a biochem class?
...When was it not?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:17 am »

I would like to maintain our transparency, which may already have been lost due to grabbing every stray upgrade we could find. Also note that my idea of pressure-based muscles was mostly based upon cells with the capacity to alter their density, rather than pumping fluid around as would be the case with a classical hydraulic system, but if you put expanding cells in fluid then you get a similar result... If we have spare hydrogen then could we fly using hot air. The energy requirements would be significant but maybe if we can get a large surface area photosynthesising...
/or simply using large  disposable hydrogen balloons

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:45 am »

Let’s agree on an action before we go all bio lab on the GM
I think we should go down as the water must be getting out somewhere or up if lots of people want floating tentacle-rape monsters
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 16, 2012, 11:19:03 am »

Down for now. I have a future idea for our creature. it involves an organic spaceship able to send thousands of mini us into a planet to rape it of its resorces. For a midnight snack.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74]