Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141266 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish]
« Reply #900 on: February 08, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

We can try to crack the ice with the pods or we can try to devise some kind of chemical reaction to melt the ice.(Or just overpower the infrared emittors to melt things.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54:49 pm »

We can try to crack the ice with the pods or we can try to devise some kind of chemical reaction to melt the ice.(Or just overpower the infrared emittors to melt things.)
no, I think lazorz would drain too much energy at this point.
I'm pretty sure any melting method will drain to much energy. I think our best bet is to either find a natural crack or to make one ourselves.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 08, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »

anyways, finding cracks may be useful, but they won't be everywhere, so we'll need to be able to dig out holes.

Most of the ice is already gone. The water was being warmed by the light, so at this point, there are mostly just little bits of ice floating near the surface.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:39 pm »

Lets just go look around for a random encounter, we need biomass/DNA if we are to become a greater being..

PREPARE OUR COMBAT SILICON TIP TENTACLE THINGS!
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 08, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

You'd need muscles for a tentacle. This is just a wriggly little bit of cells with no force behind them bearing a sharp knife. They're pes- pepsw- pepswae- A misspelling of pseudopod that I adopted awhile ago. Because they aren't pseudopods, and they aren't tentacles, they're... manipulators of some sort.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

Create some muscles on our manipulators to make them tentacles.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 08, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »

I agree with ser nyan cat robo. We need combat tentacles!
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »

Create some muscles on our manipulators to make them tentacles.
I.E. do what I said?
You wanted to make them thicker and add little graspy nubs, right?

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 08, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

Thickness adds resilience, but not force or power. Muscles are specialized cells.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 08, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »

Lets think about this polar bear man, with tentacles (muscles included) all we have to do is wrap them around something to do what graspers do, and we have the added effect of stabbing things with them and having silicon tips for added deadiliness (poison too!) with graspers we have to use tools and it'd look silly on our lil jellyfish dude

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 09, 2012, 02:17:25 am »

In my opinion, we should attempt to develop muscles. Once successful, we should modify two pseudopods into a mechanism similar to the Pistol Shrimp's, that is, a rigid hammer that cocks into place, when twitched, it sends a superheated jet of water, stunning anything in its path.

This requires only the energy to cock the hammer, and to open the twin pseudopods to create space for the hammer. It's a highly efficient way of hunting; in the Pistol Shrimp's example, where the shrimp is a few centimetres long, can send a jet of water reaching nearly 10,000C. This would definitely at least STUN our opponents, that are up to our size. It may work on slightly larger opponents too.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:38 am »

Build pressure-based muscles. Use crystalline structures to direct the forces and have cells expand or contract(possibly by exploiting differences in density between crystalline forms and non-crystalline forms) to create excesses and voids in pressure resulting in motion. It wouldn't be as good at pulling as muscles are, but it should be better at pushing and with cells being funnelled through crystalline frames it should be possible to achieve sufficient motion to meet our needs...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:48 am »

Build pressure-based muscles. Use crystalline structures to direct the forces and have cells expand or contract(possibly by exploiting differences in density between crystalline forms and non-crystalline forms) to create excesses and voids in pressure resulting in motion. It wouldn't be as good at pulling as muscles are, but it should be better at pushing and with cells being funnelled through crystalline frames it should be possible to achieve sufficient motion to meet our needs...
Hm. At the size we are now, though, those frames might be kind of big.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 09, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

The jelly-fish thing would need to be a bit bigger to have muscles?  Wouldn't it?  How many cells wide are those psuedo-tentecles?
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »

RAM, I think for now we just need muscles. when we get a tad bigger we should go for the armcannon / pistol shrimp weaponry.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74