Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141496 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish]
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2011, 08:23:31 am »

That kind of strikes me as a little unreliable though.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 30, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »

That kind of strikes me as a little unreliable though.

Unlike lasers.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2011, 04:06:53 pm »

I still think that the water jet thing we have could be modified to produce a very thin and extremely high pressure jet.

There are machines that can do that. They cut through solid granite. Think what we could do with it.

But that's a moot point now we have silicone blades.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

The effective power supplied is a function of our mass subtracted from the motion that we are extracting power from. While having an anchor like that could, potentially, provide sufficient power, it would be a huge(relative to us) vulnerability. The cord has to be very strong, so it will probably pull us along if something yanks on it, that or do some serious damage as it is pulled out, unless we build a specific point of weakness that will require strengthening the rest of it and will make it an easy snack that takes far too long to grow. I just don't see extracting kinetic energy being worth it as anything but a slight efficiency booster...

I am all for elasticising our flagella though...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »

I am all for elasticising our flagella though...
Hah! That's what... she... said?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 01, 2011, 12:27:30 am »

Who is this 'she' of which you speak?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 01, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »

Who is this 'she' of which you speak?

Mother Science.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2011, 02:08:58 pm »

W00T!
I strongly agree with the splendid idea of a LAZOR.  :D
We might use proteins wich can emmit high-energy photons by spending energy, or by receiving another high-energy photon. The photon is emmited in a precise direction.
Then, we surround (except in one direction) a silicon (maybe) crystal, designed to harness and focuse photons in one direction, by large amounts of these proteins, multi-layered. so we can spend energy to emit numerous photons directed on the crystal, wich focuse them all to the target. Later on, we can surround a bigger crystal with little crystals and make a powerful laser.

I also agree on the mecanosynthesis. thus, we can charge our laser when prodded  :P

Imagine:
guy1: hey, look at that! *prod*
guy2: what is it? *prod prod*
guy1: it look like a jellyfish *prod*
*prod prod prod*
guy2: i think it's dead *prod*
Vitascinti: IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZ0R!
*Piuuuuuuuuu*
guys: AAAAAAAAH!!!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »

Ho Ho Ho.

biochemist here.

your missing a hell of alot of organells classicaly found in microbes of the eukaryote (with a nucleous) kind.
Example: endoplasmic reticulum -internal transport system and vastly more efficient protein production system-
Golgy Organell: A protein modification Organell that allows you to modify proteins and allows more complex ones to be created

You could also just nick some Chloroplasts -the light absorbing molecules in Chlorophyl- that will allow you to harness light for energy, albeit at a slow and inefficient rate, untill you evolve Chlorophyl to be more efficient. Right now you should up your mitochondria in the inner cell body and try get a few Chloroplasts, easly from the fungal forms if their reliant on the light, or any other proto-plant life.

I suggest you look up other Organells in google or such. :P it will be usefull.

Suggestion for future reference: Octo-Helix DNA
Why? with the current double-helix only allows for a certain number of Amino acids, by increasing the strands from 2 upwards to 3 you vastly increase the data storage in the strands that relate to the number of Amino acids, and because proteins are made from hundreds of amino acids, the number and uses/power of the proteins you can create. Also has the added side effect of making you essentialy virus proof on things that work on 2 strands. the downside is that if you go from 2 strands to 3 strands then anything you pick up DNA wise will decrease in value, its alot more reasource intensive.

Octo-Helix DNA is the Tyranid strand of DNA in warhammer 40k ^^

Just to note: i forgot wich way round the chlorophyl and chloroplats are, so, take that with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:04:19 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:16 pm »

If we are using lasers then we may as well use them for internal energy and data transmission, no need to mess around with chemical or electrical migration...
Read the First Post!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:33 pm »

WE DO NOT EAT PLANETS.

(Well, technically they eat every molecule of organic matter on a planet and then take the atmosphere, but still...)
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

Ho Ho Ho.

biochemist here.

your missing a hell of alot of organells classicaly found in microbes of the eukaryote (with a nucleous) kind.
Example: endoplasmic reticulum -internal transport system and vastly more efficient protein production system-
Golgy Organell: A protein modification Organell that allows you to modify proteins and allows more complex ones to be created

You could also just nick some Chloroplasts -the light absorbing molecules in Chlorophyl- that will allow you to harness light for energy, albeit at a slow and inefficient rate, untill you evolve Chlorophyl to be more efficient. Right now you should up your mitochondria in the inner cell body and try get a few Chloroplasts, easly from the fungal forms if their reliant on the light, or any other proto-plant life.

I suggest you look up other Organells in google or such. :P it will be usefull.

Suggestion for future reference: Octo-Helix DNA
Why? with the current double-helix only allows for a certain number of Amino acids, by increasing the strands from 2 upwards to 3 you vastly increase the data storage in the strands that relate to the number of Amino acids, and because proteins are made from hundreds of amino acids, the number and uses/power of the proteins you can create. Also has the added side effect of making you essentialy virus proof on things that work on 2 strands. the downside is that if you go from 2 strands to 3 strands then anything you pick up DNA wise will decrease in value, its alot more reasource intensive.

Just to note: i forgot wich way round the chlorophyl and chloroplats are, so, take that with a grain of salt.
Yeaah. I'm kind of suspending reality a little- but hey.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2011, 02:36:56 am »

^^
gatherd.

Could develop communal chemical signals then divide, that way your split off partner wont be hostile. Jelly fish army anyone?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »

laser communication too?

Also, the octo-helix. i didnt find anything about it on the internet, sadly.
BUT i found very serious scientific publications suggesting that, sometimes, a DNA-replicating enzym CAN start double-replicating a triple-helix. In fact, for what i understood, it make 2 copies instead of one, resulting in THREE DNA strands. or something like that. The article also speak about this triple-helix reorganising the DNA or something.
It sounds promising  :P
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

Well if you want to read up on cells without being bored to death check out here:

Harvard biovisions:Inner Life Of A Cell

Part of the same series but without the helpful narration:

Harvard biovisions:Mitrochondria

And then for a mildy mind-blowing animation of evolution check out, quite old but still the best video I've seen on the topic of artificial evolution:

Karl Sims Animation
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74