Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141450 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Oozelike]
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2011, 11:50:15 am »

It wouldn't be a weapon, as much as a superpressured jet of water that goes Psssssheeeeeeew!! and blasts the other cell out of contact range (for pseudopod attacks and such). A direct stream would be less effective than a slightly out of focus jet blast for your standard amoebous blob. Maybe there is some way of clamping on with a pseudopod+silicon grappling claw and firing a super-concentrated blast of water at point blank range? That would be an effective weapon for ripping into a cell's wall or separating armor plates. Of course, then you would have to have another manipulator to function as a "mouth"/proboscis jaw thing. Heheheh. So fun.

you mean, like That?

I agree with the improvement of nucleus and data-processing unit.
Then, grow. Grow in a disc/ flat dome form rather than in a spherical form. All the exterior is covered with silicon spiked armour. between plates, cilias. On the under side, add a hole that can open and close, wich lead to a small cavity. The cavity is covered with little cells specialized in absorbing nutriments (like amino acids, fat, glucose...). The sides of the opening bear blades of silicon, called teeth.
Concentrate the flagellum on the side of the disc, and pseudopods on the underside. The upper side is heavily armoured.
Ensure that we can generate enzym-filled bags in the cavity (known as "mouth") and then throw them on preys.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »

Then, grow. Grow in a disc/ flat dome form rather than in a spherical form. All the exterior is covered with silicon spiked armour. between plates, cilias. On the under side, add a hole that can open and close, wich lead to a small cavity. The cavity is covered with little cells specialized in absorbing nutriments (like amino acids, fat, glucose...). The sides of the opening bear blades of silicon, called teeth.
Concentrate the flagellum on the side of the disc, and pseudopods on the underside. The upper side is heavily armoured.
Ensure that we can generate enzym-filled bags in the cavity (known as "mouth") and then throw them on preys.
Seconding.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »

It wouldn't be a weapon, as much as a superpressured jet of water that goes Psssssheeeeeeew!! and blasts the other cell out of contact range (for pseudopod attacks and such). A direct stream would be less effective than a slightly out of focus jet blast for your standard amoebous blob. Maybe there is some way of clamping on with a pseudopod+silicon grappling claw and firing a super-concentrated blast of water at point blank range? That would be an effective weapon for ripping into a cell's wall or separating armor plates. Of course, then you would have to have another manipulator to function as a "mouth"/proboscis jaw thing. Heheheh. So fun.

you mean, like That?

Thirded although how about combining this with the contact toxin psuedopod idea and starfish style digestion.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:01 pm »

my idea have no compatibility problems with pseudopods-enhancement projets. Mine just talking about moving them around the mouth.
For the starfish-style, i propose to enhance it by throwing a bag of enzymes (like previously), rather than spitting enzymes wild. Efficiency gained i think.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »

Okies did some more crappy 2 minute drawings so first top view:

Red is propulsion flagellum's
grey is silicon armour
Green is spikes
Blue is photoreceptors

And the side showing the psuedopods

Red can spray toxins and/or deliver them on contact like a jellyfish
Green is spikes

hopefully these can kill prey

Then for underneath I guess we just have movable silicon plates which cover a stomach where membrane eating enzymes can be sprayed in a contained area
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »

That is one sleek organism. I don't even need to read the specs- just give me one of those sexy, futuristic jellyfishes.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

That is one sleek organism. I don't even need to read the specs- just give me one of those sexy, futuristic jellyfishes.

I can't tell- are you being sarcastic or not?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

Second that design, with the addition of some cells with chloroplasts covering the surface of the top armor, for a slow, steady source of energy from photosynthesis. We're a bit small right now to implement the water-gun design, but the overall idea sounds fucking awesome.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »

It is far too bisymmetrical for my tastes, replace the second spike on the left side with another pseudopod and make the tiny flagellum on the right accurately scaled...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2011, 08:55:01 am »

It is far too bisymmetrical for my tastes, replace the second spike on the left side with another pseudopod and make the tiny flagellum on the right accurately scaled...
I did say it was a two minute drawing  :-\
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »

Exactly, I am assuming that the red dots are not currently to scale. I want their current scale used regardless, so that an extra pseudopod will be balanced by larger flagella.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Jellyfish]
« Reply #416 on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »

Turn 21

You hunger for what may be above. Among other things. For now, you need to sate your more mundane hunger as you travel. On the journey to the light above, you expend a total of 57 Energy. As you swam, you hunted, finding 32 Protein, 11 Glucose, and 5 Fat. Some of these new proteins are immediately dumped into improving the nucleus and data-processing organelle (-20 Protein). You are now smarter, and have a higher rank of sentience. You can also better process information, letting you upgrade any sensory organelles, if you wish. You modify your cytoskeleton into a better shape, a kind of semi-ovoid dome with a flat bottom- kind of like a jellyfish. Armor is concentrated on the top of the dome and flagella along the edges. Manipulators are concentrated in a ring around a hole leading into a cavity inside the body, called a mouth. The cavity is to be called a stomach, and is lined with cells specializing in storing and releasing enzymes and absorbing the resulting mixture. Enzyme injectors are placed along the manipulator cells and silicon blades are put on the tips.

The mouth-stomach cavity is useful for another thing as well. Using motor proteins along the cells' edge, the mouth-stomach can be pulled into a larger size, sucking in water, prey, or nutrients from around the mouth. Expelling water at high speeds uses up a lot of Energy, but would be useful for deterring predators or moving around other organisms. With your new data-processor, you know that the warm light above is probably full of Energy, but you don't have any way to access the warmth. Perhaps something exists out there that can harness the power of this light? Not that you would be able to find it- you can barely see anything with these photoreceptors.

Jellyfish Cross-Section:

Spoiler: Creature Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cell Organelles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nearby/To-Do List (click to show/hide)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 28, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »

Well for now wipe the to-do list as that may be getting irrelevant now now as time's past, instead lets try to just float arround looking for food and try to work out a way to reproduce
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 28, 2011, 02:41:26 pm »

I just added photosynthesis. What do you propose wiping?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:50 pm »

I just added photosynthesis. What do you propose wiping?
Well just all 3 of the things on there because I think they were made a decent while, rather than having them as top priorities at the top of the list I think just wandering arround for a bit would be a good idea, mostly as we've made a lot of radical changes to our organism recently
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74