Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141451 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Oozelike]
« Reply #390 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »

Umm... just a thought, how exactly are we consuming food at the moment, through the pseudo-pods?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 21, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »

Hm, why don't you come up with how you eat? You could have a "mouth" opening kind of thing on the end of the pseudopod or a feeding groove in the cell to take food into a specially designed digestion cell. Hah, silicon teeth/grinder things. :D

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:55 pm »

Hm, why don't you come up with how you eat? You could have a "mouth" opening kind of thing on the end of the pseudopod or a feeding groove in the cell to take food into a specially designed digestion cell. Hah, silicon teeth/grinder things. :D

Oh right... that basically sounds like we can't actually eat at the moment... peoples I found our number one priority time to start innovating! I say we turn our silicon plates into guard cells similar to the really small mouths on plant leaves used for breathing carbon, that way they can open and close allowing things we've shot our enzymes at to be absorbed. Hmm... so yeah just like starfish I suppose. In the sense that we open up holes in our body spray digestive juices everywhere and absorb it all through the same holes
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:36:48 pm by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »

uh, yeah, sounds nice. But we should keep the "bomb" instead of spray.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:55 pm »

Light, huh? Perhaps we should develop some sort of hyper-efficient form of photosynthesis, to act as a backup system in case we run out of food. We could probably even put it on the surface of our silicon spikes.

I like the blade idea too.

EDIT: We've ignored mobility for a while. We need to grow more flagella, or develop a better mode of transportation. Maybe this?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 03:11:00 pm by woose1 »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 21, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »

Light, huh? Perhaps we should develop some sort of hyper-efficient form of photosynthesis, to act as a backup system in case we run out of food. We could probably even put it on the surface of our silicon spikes
This. a constant supply of energy is a damn good idea.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 21, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »

Engineer an enzyme that pulls amino acids out of complex proteins. Place this enzyme into the spikes.
What would this do, exactly? Be like a contact poison?
More like an injected/ingested poison, and it would cause a specific, common element to be removed from proteins to render them, and therefore the cell, non-functional.

We could probably also use it in digestion...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 21, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »

EDIT: We've ignored mobility for a while. We need to grow more flagella, or develop a better mode of transportation. Maybe this?

What is "this"? Do you want the cell to move like a Blue Blubber Jelly?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »

*jelleh*
What is "this"? Do you want the cell to move like a Blue Blubber Jelly?
No, no. Like, contracting and expanding to propel water behind us. As opposed to cilia.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 21, 2011, 06:49:25 pm »

Cilia are a secondary propulsion system, their main purpose is to provide the majority of your senses. The flagella (the long whippy things) are the "corkscrews" that propel the organism, like propellers at faster speeds. The water-jet method would be a little faster, but in bursts (jet, slow, jet, slow...); it would be quite unwieldy (which is why jellyfish have almost no control over where they are going). Although, it could be used as a emergency method of propulsion in case things get hairy.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

Cilia are a secondary propulsion system, their main purpose is to provide the majority of your senses. The flagella (the long whippy things) are the "corkscrews" that propel the organism, like propellers at faster speeds. The water-jet method would be a little faster, but in bursts (jet, slow, jet, slow...); it would be quite unwieldy (which is why jellyfish have almost no control over where they are going). Although, it could be used as a emergency method of propulsion in case things get hairy.
That would work. Maybe we could use it as a weapon of some sort, as well. Store it up in some sort of high-pressure bladder, and release it at whatever looks at you funny.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2011, 06:56:50 pm »

It wouldn't be a weapon, as much as a superpressured jet of water that goes Psssssheeeeeeew!! and blasts the other cell out of contact range (for pseudopod attacks and such). A direct stream would be less effective than a slightly out of focus jet blast for your standard amoebous blob. Maybe there is some way of clamping on with a pseudopod+silicon grappling claw and firing a super-concentrated blast of water at point blank range? That would be an effective weapon for ripping into a cell's wall or separating armor plates. Of course, then you would have to have another manipulator to function as a "mouth"/proboscis jaw thing. Heheheh. So fun.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:01 pm »

Last post tonight, but, uh, has anyone noticed that we only have a basic nucleus and basic data processing unit? We should probably upgrade those, STAT.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »

I'm up for that.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:12 am »

Agreed
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 74