Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141437 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Ooze]
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2011, 01:04:29 pm »

Edio, the only way to do this without sparking a holy war is to just keep having these polls. If the trend shows a large minority of interest in certain things, you might want to periodically throw them a bone (as you have done in the past) to keep them on board and otherwise go with popular vote.

Evolutions: American Government!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 19, 2011, 02:43:13 pm »

Well derp. I hate to have to do this to those who want to stay unicell, but the majority of people seem to want multicell. I'm fine with you guys staying small and such... I'm just going to go ahead with the update I was planning on posting awhile ago before the Great Cell War. Post it when I finish with the picture.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 19, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »

Oh, this is awesome Edio.

Since I'm currently in AP biology, it helps that I can apply a lot of what I learned to this. Well, most of it.  ;)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »

Turn 20

You propel yourself out over a portion of the fungal colony, spraying the protein eating enzymes. The cell walls of the fungus are impenetrable by the enzymes, though. It would appear that the cell walls are not made of the same material it is normally used to dissolve or it is very durable. You create a newer enzyme, this one able to break down their cell walls. You mix up a vacuole of all the types of enzymes in your possession and drop the vacuole on the fungi below. It drifts slowly downward, until it is nearly above them. Then, the vacuole's thin membrane ruptures, spilling its deadly cocktail of chemicals all over the fungi. The immobile cells begin to violently explode, spreading bits and pieces of themselves all around as they lyse. After the storm dies down, you chug over to the center of the blast. Proteins of all sorts from demolished organelles lay amid the debris of the cell walls. They don't seem to have any Glucose that you can find... maybe they get their Energy from something besides it.

To the victor go the spoils! You are able to harvest 49 Amino Acids and 21 Fat from the fungal cells that were affected by the enzyme bomb. You use 10 Fat to craft cell membranes and partition up the cell into smaller, easily managed ones. Each of the silicon plates fuses with a single cell, which in turn is outfitted with mineral extractors and contractile vacuoles. In between the plating cells lie much thinner cells equipped with the sensory cilia. They wave in the current as they taste the water between the plates. Cylindrical cells with flagella and a large amount of Energy storage are located on plate junctions all around the cell to give even propulsion. Using 20 Amino Acids and 5 Fat, you create some permanent pseudopod-like manipulator cells to interact with your environment.

Spoiler: NoSpikes (click to show/hide)

You focus your grainy photoreceptors, sensing the location of the light. Above you is a large source of light, with darkness to either side.

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cell Organelles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nearby/To-Do List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:23:03 pm by Edio »

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »

Go towards the light
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Oozelike]
« Reply #380 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

Engineer an enzyme that pulls amino acids out of complex proteins. Place this enzyme into the spikes.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2011, 11:25:17 pm »

Engineer an enzyme that pulls amino acids out of complex proteins. Place this enzyme into the spikes.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:19 am »

FUCKYEAHSPIKES
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:59 am »

Toward the light, little cell! Thou hast been Chosen!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 21, 2011, 04:02:56 am »

I still think we should improve our data processing organelle.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:46 am »

Yea.

> Make sure each cell has it's own data processing organelle.
> Connect the data processing organelles of neighbouring cells with some kind of low-latency but low-bandwidth signalling
> Create an unique identifier for each cell, a protocol for the assignment and handling of these addresses, and a way to mark data and pieces of *NA with them.
> add a system for keeping track of what data in in which cells, sending *NA pieces to a specified address by passing them from cell to cell, and requesting specific pieces of data through the speedy signalling system.
> Create a system for encoding sensory data for storage and distribution. Distribute important seeming sensory data to relevant cells by a subscription like system.
> Create a memory system by tagging important sensory data with a timestamp, storing it indefinitely, and making it retrievable by timestamp matching.
> Create a system for solving complex problems faster by splitting it up into several smaller ones and having the data processing organelles of several cells work in parallel.

###

> make those pseudopods much longer, thinner, stiffer, and add some glue like grasping proteins to the end. And maybe a simple silicon blade for mechanically cutting up membranes we can't cut chemically.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 21, 2011, 09:08:08 am »

Also - awesome update! Now we're getting somewhere  :D

I say we head to the light

Why de-localize this process?

> Connect the data processing organelles of neighbouring cells with some kind of low-latency but low-bandwidth signalling
> Create an unique identifier for each cell, a protocol for the assignment and handling of these addresses, and a way to mark data and pieces of *NA with them.
> add a system for keeping track of what data in in which cells, sending *NA pieces to a specified address by passing them from cell to cell, and requesting specific pieces of data through the speedy signalling system.
> Create a system for encoding sensory data for storage and distribution. Distribute important seeming sensory data to relevant cells by a subscription like system.
As in nerve cells? And something like a liver to control chemical balance?

> Create a memory system by tagging important sensory data with a timestamp, storing it indefinitely, and making it retrievable by timestamp matching.
> Create a system for solving complex problems faster by splitting it up into several smaller ones and having the data processing organelles of several cells work in parallel.
As in a brain? (Except ours would be slightly different to a normal brain as each of our cells can contain multiple neurons)

> make those pseudopods much longer, thinner, stiffer, and add some glue like grasping proteins to the end. And maybe a simple silicon blade for mechanically cutting up membranes we can't cut chemically.
Seconded
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:02 am »

seconding armok.

Also, rename the cell Vitascinti Cuspis. cuspis mean spikes.

Also, AWESOME BOMBING. remember that technique.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2011, 10:45:17 am »

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that the pseudopods can extend a bunch farther than what is shown. All the cytoplasm from the pseudopod's base cell can be forced into or sucked out of the arm cell to change the dimensions of the pseudopod.

What would this do, exactly? Be like a contact poison?

One is more than enough to process the data input, others would be a waste of time. If you want more power, it would be better to upgrade the existing one. Adding an new DPO to each cell would be redundant and use up a heck of a lot more energy. It would be better to link together each cell with extracellular node/connectors that interface in a network with each adjacent cell, ultimately connecting every single one.

The cells are not exactly computers. While this is how the cell would accomplish these tasks, you don't need to come up with every bit of how it works. Most of this falls under upgrading the Data Processing Organelle's speed/connections. Also, all cells have all the ooze's genetic material in their nucleus. *NA is the same everywhere; different cells just read different parts.

First part would be a specific upgrade/sub-organelle to the DPO, second part would be an upgrade of the existing DPO (by adding subunits and such). Adding more DPO's would be redundant.

They are actually about as long as the cell's diameter at their current thickness. The thickness/hardness can be altered as stated at the top. The gluelike proteins might need more advanced ribosomes. If you want it to be much better, I would advise adding motor proteins for control/movement/force. That way, you have enough force to use the blade effectively.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »

Why de-localize this process?
Robustness, and because it'll have to be done sooner or later and we want the support to have been in from as early as possible.

As in nerve cells? And something like a liver to control chemical balance?

As in a brain? (Except ours would be slightly different to a normal brain as each of our cells can contain multiple neurons)

No, more like primitive routers/databases.

One is more than enough to process the data input, others would be a waste of time. If you want more power, it would be better to upgrade the existing one. Adding an new DPO to each cell would be redundant and use up a heck of a lot more energy. It would be better to link together each cell with extracellular node/connectors that interface in a network with each adjacent cell, ultimately connecting every single one.
They don't all need to be as good as our curent one, not active and consuming energy all of the time. Being redundant is exactly the point, so that everything is not lost if it gets damaged. Also, it might not be immediately useful but having done it this erly one will avoid a much harder conversion once we grow to big to be controlled by a single cell, and other systems that we DO need at the moment will have developed in the presence of this general architecture and thus work with it more smoothly.
The cells are not exactly computers. While this is how the cell would accomplish these tasks, you don't need to come up with every bit of how it works. Most of this falls under upgrading the Data Processing Organelle's speed/connections. Also, all cells have all the ooze's genetic material in their nucleus. *NA is the same everywhere; different cells just read different parts.
I prefer to have some control over the exact implementation so that it fits together well with my future plans. And yes, that's how it works RIGHT NOW, because it has to work that way because a system for transporting the information doesn't exist. Once it does it'll be free of the constraint and able to diverge. Also, As we're going to start accumulating memories we don't want to store that large amount of alredy pretty redundant information in each and every cell.

First part would be a specific upgrade/sub-organelle to the DPO, second part would be an upgrade of the existing DPO (by adding subunits and such). Adding more DPO's would be redundant.
Again, it being redundant at the moment is intentional.

They are actually about as long as the cell's diameter at their current thickness. The thickness/hardness can be altered as stated at the top. The gluelike proteins might need more advanced ribosomes. If you want it to be much better, I would advise adding motor proteins for control/movement/force. That way, you have enough force to use the blade effectively.

Good idea. Yea, add motor proteins and a blade.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74