Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141290 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2011, 10:36:18 am »

Turn 9

You burn 10 glucose to create 100 Energy. Geez! This little bacteria is really amazing! You're definitely glad you salvaged the DNA from those Mitochondria. Using your plenitude of Amino Acids and a bit of Energy, you improve your flagellum. It is now complex and gives you an amazing boost to speed.
     With all of your speed, how will you tell where you're going? You decide to create a light-sensitive organelle to better detect your surroundings. Photoreceptors are placed all along the cell membrane.

All around you is darkness, but light seems to be coming from high above. There seems to be a large crack letting in light ahead. Now that you can see around, you decide that it might be best to make some more DNA. However, letting all of your genetic material float around the cell is pretty risky. You combine five of your RNA into a strand of DNA using up 5 more Energy. You feel a bit smarter.

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

Swim around near the surface, there's bound to be some cyanobacteria basking in the light which you can try and consume for a wee bit more DNA or something like that
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:59 am »

> create an organel for data manipulation. (basicaly a protein computer)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:46 am »

make a membrane to safely enclose DNA, but porous enough to allow RNA to pass through. Basically a nucleus.
NOTE: we get mitochondria before nucleus... on earth it was the other way.

Improve cytoplasm!
Use water to double in size, duplicate mitochondria and DNA, then DIVIDE!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2011, 11:42:43 am »

make a membrane to safely enclose DNA, but porous enough to allow RNA to pass through. Basically a nucleus.
NOTE: we get mitochondria before nucleus... on earth it was the other way.
Improve cytoplasm!
Use water to double in size, duplicate mitochondria and DNA, then DIVIDE!
Earth? Who said anything about Earth?! :D What would dividing do for us now?

An organelle for data manipulation?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2011, 11:47:11 am »

An organelle for data manipulation?
Neuron's as organelles? Like really small neurons?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:34 am »

Neurons are kinda complicated to be replicated at cell level, don't you think? Each one is the size of a cell. And it takes zillions of them to accomplish tasks.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2011, 11:51:51 am »

Yea. Input DNA, it does some stuff to it possibly based of sensory input, then outputs other DNA.
Not like a neuron, more like a Turing machine where a strand of DNA is the tape.
And yea it wont be able to do much at this stage and is generaly not somehting that'd evolve naturaly, but nor is all the other stuff we've been doing.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:55 am »

Yea. Input DNA, it does some stuff to it possibly based of sensory input, then outputs other DNA.
Not like a neuron, more like a Turing machine where a strand of DNA is the tape.
And yea it wont be able to do much at this stage and is generaly not somehting that'd evolve naturaly, but nor is all the other stuff we've been doing.
Alright. It's feasible. But what would it accomplish again?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2011, 12:25:17 pm »

nothing at the moment, but having it from this early on will prove to have been a good idea later, since new adaptations will automatically build on it creating a kind of flexibility and standardization that wouldn't be feasible to create from scratch once we get to the point where such things become important.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2011, 12:51:59 pm »

Hmm... actually you could accomplish quite a bit with not to many neurons, and if they were to just be REALLY basic chemical-based logic gates in the way they function you could maybe bring them down to the size of tiny ribosomes. There's this game I play called darwinbots where you write up the robots DNA and then it'll survive in an environment and do it's thing or be like battlebots or whatever. Anyways essentially you have sensory data storage and all the coding does is simple math adding value and whatever to put outputs so here's an example where just using simple multiplication and such I used 634 commands to make the most efficient focusing mechanism possible in the game for prioritizing in which direction should a cell look, a really useful function:

-4 *.eye1 *.eye9 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye8 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye4 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye3 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye1 *.eye2 sub sgn 0 floor mult 4 *.eye9 *.eye8 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye4 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye3 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye2 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye9 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add -3 *.eye2 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye2 *.eye8 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye4 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye3 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye2 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add 3 *.eye8 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye8 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye8 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye8 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye8 *.eye4 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye8 *.eye3 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye8 *.eye2 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye8 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add -2 *.eye3 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye3 *.eye8 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye3 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye3 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye3 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye3 *.eye4 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye3 *.eye2 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye3 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add 2 *.eye7 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye7 *.eye8 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye7 *.eye7 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye7 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye7 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye7 *.eye4 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye7 *.eye2 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye7 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add -1 *.eye4 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye4 *.eye8 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye4 *.eye7 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye4 *.eye6 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye4 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye4 *.eye3 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye4 *.eye2 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye4 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add 1 *.eye6 *.eye9 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye8 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye7 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye6 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye5 sub sgn 0 floor mult *.eye6 *.eye3 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye2 sub sgn ++ sgn mult *.eye6 *.eye1 sub sgn ++ sgn mult add 4 add *.focuseye 4 add sub dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult inc -- 9 add - dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec -- dup sgn -- sgn ++ .focuseye mult dec --

The point being it doesn't take much in the way of processing capabilities to do something quite complicated (ok, bieng the most efficient way possible of doing what I wanted there was more code than necessary but you get the idea) and yes darwinbots is one of the few games with a learning cliff steeper than DF.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2011, 12:55:02 pm »

MY EYES! Alright then.

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WTF... I almost had a seizure... over something typed in a forum game...
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »

Bah, nuclei are for loosers...

I want spines, that can break off if they get caught on something, and will not cause an injury if they do so...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2011, 05:03:27 am »

Quote from: Elvisdogs
WTF... I almost had a seizure... over something typed in a forum game...

Quote from: Edio
MY EYES! Alright then.

Wow... I never thought getting that response from DF players was possible, do I get some kind of medal  :P
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74