Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141174 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:00 pm »

Something large enough to jostle us is surely large enough to eat us! Flee, and find something to jostle!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »

Turn 3

You quickly reach out toward where the sugar's scent is coming from and nab six glucose molecules. Using glycolysis, you ferment one to convert it into useable energy. Fermentation is a bad way to get energy, but it is all you have for now. Something again bumps you and you quickly decide between fighting and fleeing. It might be big, but it could also be competition. And how better to deal with competition than to nom on it? You send out tiny pseudopods to feel around for it, but you can't touch it. A chemical trail leads away from the sugar. Should you follow it, or stay here?

As you contemplate, you find one Amino Acid and one RNA molecule drifting around.

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »

Stay here and enjoy the free eats. No point in needlessly expending energy chasing the unknown. Sure, the magical trail of sugar could be a trap- but don't worry- we're not smart enough to think of that!  8)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »

Actually, the trail is more the chemicals left behind by (what you presume) is the other cell. Some of the sugar scent got pulled away as it moved.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »

We want to compete. The best way to compete is to get bigger right now. Eat. Protein propeller can speed that up. Small bacteria might be roaming around here too. Let's see if we can turn them into our organelles. Besides that, this should be a slow turn.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

Chase the jostler! Who wants to break down all that sugar anyway? The glucose may waste our time when there ae better sources of food
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »

Follow the chemical trail, for !!SCIENCE!!

...We have enough energy for now. We may bump into something useful!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »

Follow the jostler, we must have revenge.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »

The jostler has no source of energy right now. We do. Eat up, so we are stronger when we meet up again.

Don't count this as two votes for staying. Just trying to convince others to change their's.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »

The jostler has no source of energy right now. We do. Eat up, so we are stronger when we meet up again.

Don't count this as two votes for staying. Just trying to convince others to change their's.

The Jostler is the source of energy, not anything it's found silly  :P
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 07:54:35 pm »

Actually, the trail is more the chemicals left behind by (what you presume) is the other cell. Some of the sugar scent got pulled away as it moved.

By "trail," I meant the stream of sugar that we are at. :P

The Jostler is the source of energy, not anything it's found silly  :P

If I understand Edio correctly, and to make sure we're on the same page, we are at a little "flow" of sugar, i.e. potential energy. The stream of chemicals is what jostler in question is the source of, and leads away from said delicious and suspicious sugar flow.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:50 pm »

It's a sugar crystal that is partly dissolving in the water, leaving bits of sugar flowing everywhere.

Yeah, the chemical stream shows the path of a cell and tells you where it is, because you can't really see or feel very well yet.

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

I suspect that the jostler is a mitochondria. Not worth the risk of go after. Anyway, there should be plenty more where that guy came from. Or better yet not.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 08:26:49 pm »

Layman's question, purely out of intrigue- albeit it the semi-lazy, preoccupied intrigue that can't be bothered to figure it out for itself- is this "historically accurate?" Do organelles just flit about in the primordial soup like sub-cellular nymphs and fairies, waiting to be hunted down and had their way with..?

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »

Turn 4

That cell has no right to push you around like that! You hesitate briefly as you decide whether or not to go after him. It is decided that you will go after the Jostler after you are a little stronger- of course, he also could come back seeing as you are near an incredibly energy-rich zone. You detect a change in the water's makeup and reach around experimentally. The pseudopods feel something squishy and small. It appears that several simple bacteria (none of which seem to pose a threat to you) have come to the little "oasis" that you inhabit. You quickly engulf and digest them using the Energy from the water around you. You gain some Amino Acids and some Energy from the sugar. You also obtain a piece of RNA from each of them, and you feel a little more intelligent. With all of your goodies, you decide to create a flagellum to make you quicker! Using eight Amino Acids and some fermented glucose, you craft a Basic Flagellum.

With your new propeller, you are ready to ride. Do you want to stick around any longer or keep exploring?

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

(Not all organelles are free-floating. Some (like mitochondria) are. Of course, you may be able to improvise or go without.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 74