Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141440 times)

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish]
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »

Stick a pseudopod into the hole and poke the bottom of it a bit, see if anything comes out
*Poke, Poke*
*CHOMP*
My psuedopod!
Chomping a silicon pointy thing  :o I think if it can essentially nom sharp pointy hard stuff we should leg it
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »

Wait until we evolve a solar-powered laser to cut through the ice, using a magnification process that utilizes quartz particles in the water.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »

Wait until we evolve a solar-powered laser to cut through the ice, using a magnification process that utilizes quartz particles in the water.

That's... Fucking genius. Seriously.

MUST DOOOOOOOOOOOO! If some creatures can develop nervous systems capable of creating electric shocks, why can't we develop a membrane or organ capable of focusing heat through the absorption and reflection of solar light? FUCKYEAH.

This is the REAL fun of these games. Not so much mimicking real-life evolution, as that's been done before a trillion times, in the wild. Even better would be to go beyond what we can find on Earth and speculate on possible xenobiological systems, theorize upon eccentric systems utilized by real-world creatures, and design our own race of world-dominating annihilators, MUAHAHAHAH I mean, huzzah for scientific advancement!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

That's... Fucking genius. Seriously.

MUST DOOOOOOOOOOOO! If some creatures can develop nervous systems capable of creating electric shocks, why can't we develop a membrane or organ capable of focusing heat through the absorption and reflection of solar light? FUCKYEAH.

This is the REAL fun of these games. Not so much mimicking real-life evolution, as that's been done before a trillion times, in the wild. Even better would be to go beyond what we can find on Earth and speculate on possible xenobiological systems, theorize upon eccentric systems utilized by real-world creatures, and design our own race of world-dominating annihilators, MUAHAHAHAH I mean, huzzah for scientific advancement!
Water-filled space-ships full of evil, laser-firing jellyfish, for the win!
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2011, 08:32:02 pm »

This thread makes me cackle with enjoyment.

I say NOM NOM NOM Seed thing. It may have chloroplasts.

The laser can wait a bit, right now we need generators!
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »

We need to design silicon-based 'solar panels', hehe
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »

Suddenly, you realize that seed-making plants come millions of years later after your time. Heheheheh.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:51 pm »

We need to design silicon-based 'solar panels', hehe

And how would we do that?

All we have now is silicon, and you need much more than that for a solar panel that's even less efficient than chloroplasts.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:19 pm »

*shrug* All speculation. Chloroplasts are the way to go, atm.

Can't we do something with that seed? Help it germinate somehow and absorb the chloroplasts?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:25 am »

I want to enhance our chemical receptors, so we don't eat anything toxic. And lets develop our pressure sensors too, sight will just be a redundant waste of time once we rely on technology for long-range sense... And I still want the chemical marker that we can spray things with, it will let us- oh dear, I may be mimiking a skunk here, well skunks are pretty unusual...- track prey by chemical trail and mark predators so that their prey is alerted they starve to death. Making it chemically overwhelming, pressure altering, and visually opaque would be a nice touch as it would blind whatever we sprayed. The tricky bit is avoiding self-contamination, probably find a way to denature the spray on contact with ourself...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:45 am »

I don't think we should get chloroplasts. We should come up with something to harness MECHANICAL energy instead. Maybe some kind of reverse muscle that makes sugar when it's pulled.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:19 am »

Wh...at?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2011, 05:06:28 am »

Don't develop photosynthesis, develop mechanosynthesis/elastosynthesis.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 30, 2011, 05:07:23 am »

Well motion is a form of energy and it is easy enough to extract mechanical power from it, chemical power should be feasible enough, although encountering enough external mechanical power to sustain our functions, or, indeed, to make up for the requirements of sustaining the generator itself, may be difficult. The best I can see happening is that it will cause us to be significantly slower and much more efficient. But it is just as likely to be a completely hopeless pursuit...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:23 am »

Not hard to find at all: wave power. Just make us float, attach one end of a cord to the bottom, and float on the waves which lifts us up and down thus stretching the cord. Or on land, when it's windy sit in one tree with the cord attached to another one.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 74