Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141408 times)

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Ooze]
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

How? They would be stuck into the cell membranes within the cell clump, not drifting around outside the cell wall. Unless you were forcibly ripped apart, they wouldn't come undone (of course, if that happens, that will be the least of your concerns).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:39 pm »

Just an idea, when we do these pseudopods which seems a good idea I think we should make them individual cells for two reasons:

>Resilience, if one becomes damaged it'll be a lot easier to replace/repair if it's a separate cell
>Planning, if we eventually decide to become a complete multicellular creature it'll be easier if we don't have complex parts which can't just be dissolved in a vacuole.
I was just thinking that connecting them would remove most of the value of making them separate cells.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:37 am »

Well the idea I was thinking was they'd be simplistic cells lacking a lot of the complex parts and you would be able to connect to the central body when they were grown, and also detach them when there usefulness had been fulfilled/and other exploits such as bait. As long as those two requirements are met and doing so doesn't hinder the cell in a plausible fashion I think this would be a good idea. If that's not possible though I wouldn't be too sure, I just assumed it could be done.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

Just an idea, when we do these pseudopods which seems a good idea I think we should make them individual cells for two reasons:

>Resilience, if one becomes damaged it'll be a lot easier to replace/repair if it's a separate cell
>Planning, if we eventually decide to become a complete multicellular creature it'll be easier if we don't have complex parts which can't just be dissolved in a vacuole.
yes, so if they are ripped off, we wont spill all of our internals.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:49 am »

Turn 19

While you go after the fungal colony below, you tap into the Mitochondria's DNA and rewrite it to be more efficient. By process and error, you eventually get it from its 1:4 Glucose:Energy ratio to 1:8, and then 1:16. Your Mitochondria are now doubly efficient and can give four times as much Energy from Glucose as before. While doing this, you use up about 20 Amino Acids through trying different combinations of membrane coiling in the Mitochondria. Some Fat and Amino Acids are converted into Cytoplasm, making you about 20 μm bigger and providing more space for storing glucose. The only problem is that your cell is getting unwieldy- it may be best to partition into smaller cells if you want to stay this size for long. With your current amount of resources, the only other thing you can upgrade is the ribosomes. You modify the existing ones to be larger and capable of making longer and more advanced proteins. You manufacture many more of these new ones and set them drifting around the cytoplasm.

You burn some more Energy with your new Mitochondria and arrive at the fungal colony.

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cell Organelles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nearby/To-Do List (click to show/hide)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 14, 2011, 11:01:45 am »

Lets divide. Not into multicellular yet, just getting us a backup and reducing size.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 14, 2011, 11:12:37 am »

Well I suppose if we want to do this as easily as possible I say we spray the membrane eater around the entire area and then try to absorb as much DNA, RNA and Amino Acids from the solution as possible whilst working on our to do list, if we are making the pseudopods individual cells I reckon they should be quite large to help with structuring our body, maybe investigate whether the silicon plates could be attached to individual cells so we're a bit like this:

And I did this in under five minutes so I get that where the cilia are there should also be flagellum and the sub cells should have mineral extractors, ect. but you get the concept better than I could explain it now I hope...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:17:57 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:16 am »

I agree. This will lead to easier expansion.
First priority: divide into smaller cells sticked together. Basically partitioning. Exterior cells being plated, with some pseudopods through. Inside cells gather reserves in safety.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 14, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »

Lets divide. Not into multicellular yet, just getting us a backup and reducing size.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:31 am »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 15, 2011, 03:05:22 am »

I say we boost our sensory equipment as our armor is now beyond optimal, and then focus on splitting/multiplying.

Btw, my RP is up; WorldForge, woo!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:50 am »

woo!

We should keep this cute silicon exoskeleton in the long term. For, y'know...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Full Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »

In conjunction with my physical sensory blocker+chemical pheromone. I should like our spikes to be able to detect the pheromone, so that we can tell if something that we have sprayed recently is nearby.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 16, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »

Why don't we try seeing if we can get this thing up to the size of a grape while keeping it a single cell? (Sorry to butt in, but this is just too good to pass up.)

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 16, 2011, 04:47:16 pm »

Agree with the general direction this is moving in! Also, if it's not going to cause too many problems with expanding in the future what exactly are the downsides to going multi-cellular right now? It seems like it could potentially provide for better efficiency in specific tasks, giving us an overall boost.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 74