Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Muscles!

Pressure-Based (Vacuum/Hydraulic)
Filaments (Standard)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74

Author Topic: Evolution: Origins [Sleek Futuristic Jellyfish][Sporadic Updates!]  (Read 141300 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2011, 06:16:03 pm »

<?>
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:20:44 pm by Ehndras »
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2011, 06:19:23 pm »

Become multi-celled and then split, we shall evolve beyond the simplicity of singularity and progress further up the ladder of biological potential, allowing us to catch up to the horrific beasts we shall find outside of our peaceful icy glade...
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »

Yes - Multicell Time!
Yes - Additonal Backup! Start the community!
Both of the Above (1 then 2)!
We have a three-way tie. If no one breaks it, I'll just choose one.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »

Yes - Multicell Time!
Yes - Additonal Backup! Start the community!
Both of the Above (1 then 2)!
We have a three-way tie. If no one breaks it, I'll just choose one.
Well option 3 is the same as option 1 it just has an extension added to it, so would it not be fairest if we do option 1 until opinions diverge and then do another poll on whether we create another multi-celled organism?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

Option 1 is division forming a multicell creature; option 2 is division and just letting the new cell go about its business; option 3 is going multicell and then splitting to make two identical multicell organisms.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2011, 06:59:42 pm »

Sorry some clarification what I meant

Option 1 - do A
Option 2 - do B
Option 3 - do A, then C
Option 4 - do D

Looking at it that way there's 6 votes to become multi-cellular and then people are undecided about what to do after (so do another poll later after we become multi-cellular) and 3 to just divide.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2011, 07:18:10 pm »

Both options.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »

Turn 11

Before you go, you decide to shore up your defenses. It will mean sacrificing some mobility, but in the long run will probably pay off. You want to create a cell wall around your membrane. Cell walls are made of glucose, but you don't have enough glucose to convert into cellulose. You burn about seven Energy finding enough glucose to turn into cellulose. With the conversion done, you go dormant while you build up the wall. Once your new wall is complete, you also decide to compress your genetic material into a nucleus to keep it safe from pesky things that might want to steal it. With all that in place, you build a small series of logic gates to help process information. It is built directly around and partly in the new nucleus.

Onward! To glory! You make your way into the light of the crevice. The cell has little time to savor its first great step before the world starts spinning. No sooner than it emerged in the light, it is doused again in darkness. Large objects trap the cell in a tiny area.

Hemmed in on all sides by huge floating objects, another sudden swirl of the water sends the little microbe hurtling around and around. Barely able to comprehend what is going on anymore, the spinning finally stops. Several of the objects (you recognize them as the same thing you were in before- ice) slow to a stop in your range of vision. At first, everything is dark, but then light bursts out over the things. You detect that the light is coming from above.

You slowly start swimming towards one in a daze... Perhaps these will have some of those tasty cyanobacteria you crave.

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »

And finally there's a type of algae known as Caulerpa (common in fish tanks and aquariums) which is a highly compartmentalized single cell whith long tendrils and broad leaves all part of the same cell measuring after to a meter in length.
I'm pretty sure that it has zillions of nuclei, just not separated by anything.
This! We can have giant data processing organelles and so much redundancy that we can survive anything short of complete annihilation! And we will have the ability to separate cells and reintegrate them to create expendable entities to deal with hazardous material or to quarantine corrupted biomass.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:30 pm »

Swim towards the light... Let our reign of terror expansion and evolution begin!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2011, 03:51:50 am »

> wok on a DNA/RNA labelling system based on other molecules attaching to the strands. This would allow you to do things like recognize foreign genetic material like viruses, turn genes on and of, and mark genes as doing other things than making proteins so that you can store other types of information without mixing them up. (later upgrades of this general system may also use other things to keep information separate, such as putting them in separate membrane bladders)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:05:23 am by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

peglegpengeuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:04 am »

I voted for "NO!" cause I wanted more and better organelles. It wouldn't be too hard right now to double our mitochondria output, for instance. But it looks like that's not going to win, so unless "NO!" gets more votes I'm changing to multicellular.
Awesome website for people who like suggestion games: Choice of Games

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:29 am »

I cant vote?
I say yes to division! start community!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »

If permitted, I vote we go multi-cellular
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Origins [Ooze]
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2011, 02:37:52 pm »

Turn 12

As you reach the ice, you find it covered not with tasty cyanobacteria but with a weird looking organism. It has a cell wall just like you, only stiffer. It doesn't seem to be mobile and each of the cells are somewhat connected by a thin vein, probably for nutrient transfer. You have found a proto-fungus! Well, better fungus than nothing, even if you can't have your cyanobacteria. You envelope two of the fungal cells and break them down- yum. You get 13 Amino Acids, 6 Glucose, 2 Fat, and 1 DNA. You incorporate 10 Fat to boost up your size to 2, before you split your entire self in two. All in all, you burn up 26 Energy between splitting and digesting some of the fungus.

You are now multicellular! As you prepare to set up a labeling system for your D and RNA, you sense something in the water. Thanks to your advanced sensory cilia, you sense the ripples in the water seconds before the other creature slams into you, avoiding damage from the slam. As you churn the water and do a 180 using your flagella, the cell gets a glimpse of the looming attacker...

Spoiler: Cell Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:44:01 pm by Edio »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74