Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AirMech - Herzog Zwei gets a successor?  (Read 3649 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
AirMech - Herzog Zwei gets a successor?
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »

Dev's site/blog here, with an early gameplay video.

I know basically nothing about this game, saw mention on pixel prospector, checked out the trailer and went, "Holy shit, Herzog Zwei!" Haven't noticed anything about dates, finer points of gameplay, etc, etc, etc. Can't even hear what the videos say 'cause my sound's mostly busted. It's obviously not out for release yet, and they're planning on expanding the test base at some point in the future, but that's all I've got. Other than tentative unbridled enthusiasm, of course.

I'm throwing this out to raise some awareness (becauseholyshitherzogzwei -- people need to know this!) and remind myself I'm somewhat stoked. That, and it sounds like something that DF folks we be interested in, what with the predecessor et al.

Can I get a huzzah?!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:22:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: AirMech - Herzog Zwei gets a successor?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:38:27 pm »

(becauseholyshitherzogzwei -- people need to know this!) and remind myself I'm somewhat stoked.
I don't know... I kinda never "got" herzog zwei even though I consider myself an RTS gamer. Then again I don't think I ever found a console RTS I liked, so on that count HzII was in the top 5 of that list, being a game I played more than once...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »

T'be honest, I didn't play Herzog Zwei much. Enjoyed what I did well enough for a game of that type and era, but didn't invest much time into it at all.

Mostly what's twinging my huzzah urge is that AirMech appears to be giving a serious hail to one of the classics of gaming history and not brutally mangling its spirit in the process. How often do we actually see that?

Not often, that's how often. Not often at all. For that alone, I'm interested :P

Game play videos even look alright. Bit like I'd prefer it slowed down a little, but hell, that's what CPU throttlers are for.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:22 pm »

Looks fun. First impression reminded me of Fat Princess, though obviously more RTS-y. Fitting considering it's apparently the same core developers. I'm wondering how many players they intend to allow for multiplayer (assuming there is multiplayer- I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a 4 player option). I'm looking forward to this.

Wayward Garden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wayward Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:03:30 am »

Holy freaking carp. That is Herzog Zwei. Ah, nostalgia. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to some "Sleight of Hand" and "Take it Easy", and maybe some "The Super Fighter Invigorated Us".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:07 pm »

"Sniper" was my personal favorite, although it was "No time to lose" that I kept as a ringtone.

I'm seriously excited about this one. It looks like a genuine reimagining, updated and improved while keeping the spirit of the game intact. If the music they use will be as good as the original's, I'll buy it even if I have to order the disc by airmail.
If they don't, I'll just buy it on steam/impulse/wherever they put it, and then find a way to mod the original tracks in.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CarbonJames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Hey guys, just stopped by to read your comments, always trying to listen to people's reactions to the game so far.

Haschel, we're definitely having multiplayer, that will be the main draw of the game I think. Up to 4 players is what we have planned, in various configurations. 1v1, 2v2, 4 player free-for-all, and even a (up to) 4 player coop survival/horde mode.

And just in case it's not clear, mouse/keyboard are fully supported. More info here: http://carbongames.com/airmech/help.html

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »

For anyone interested, signups are now OPEN!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:32:21 pm by Alehkhs »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »

Has anyone gotten the approval to test the alpha build yet? Not sure what's "unfinished" about the game right now, besides the somewhat (as in, completely) lacking music. The game's got a somewhat unique take on a WASD+mouse control scheme, which takes some getting used to, but by and large the game already looks awesome. Some old strategies from Herzog Zwei work - putting an army of tanks on standby and then ordering them all to attack is still just as effective as it was then, but more dangerous if your opponent gets wind of what you're doing - that melee attack on the mech is lethal.

I'm gonna go try a Normal-difficulty fight now, and leave There's No Time To Lose running in the background. Should be fun. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:04 pm »

What's the point of referrals though? It's not like you'll get a discount or anything.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:07 pm »

I got the test build as well. Only played it a couple hours so far though, I hear they are mainly testing for crashes and more serious game breaking bugs, not so much the balance and UI features for the alpha build. The game itself is pretty great so far, the core gameplay features feel pretty polished for an alpha build. Obviously it isn't in a state for general public but it feels like it only needs some general tweaking and added content. Also, survival is pretty brutal. Seems like that could be really fun if they expanded it to involve multiplayer.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

I'm fairly certain multiplayer is pretty high on their list of planned features.

Also, playing this while some of the tracks from the Herzog Zwei OST play in the background = EPIC nostalgia. I've just wrecked the Easy AI's base to There's No Time To Lose, and it was glorious. I heartily recommend it if you've played HZ. (if you haven't... well, it's kinda hard to recommend a Genesis game when a nigh-identical, and in many ways better, successor is appearing, but if you find AirMech too fast for you, try Herzog Zwei. It's a little slower, less hectic, but every bit as fun)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:01 pm »

Looks fun, and like Fat Princess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »

My second try went 6 minutes faster than my first. It's a bit easier when you have an idea of what's going on. :P

For example, I didn't know Supply Trucks healed. It's a lot of fun placing a turret backed by a supply truck a little bit behind the front lines of a battle, and advancing them as your units push the enemy back in order to capture a base.

I'm guessing the only purpose of the bikes and armored cars is simply a cheaper alternative to tanks?

There's still a few things I don't understand, like the "Link" command, but overall this is really cool so far.

Yeah, turrets are pretty beastly even without getting healed. I think they either need more range, or better AI though; I've noticed they only fire at the player if you're A. Too close or B. Shoot them. The issue is, they don't target you at their full range (or if you shoot the buddy next to them without being too close) which means you can take out everything nearby without incurring the wrath that is their missiles. Heck, you can blow up the enemy base really easily this way, but I'm sure they'll fix it in a later build.

Haven't had much luck with the bikes and such myself either, seems better to just pop out a tank or too and drop it where you want it. Bikes and some trucks do leave behind an infantry unit when they blow up though, so that could be useful for taking bases with added firepower. I've found the "link" command to be really useful for quite a few things so far, you can set a tank to patrol a small area and then link another unit with it, effectively doubling your patrol with a single command. Also good for the supply trucks, it'll get them healing nearby units without any added orders (I think they heal outside of the one "linked" unit but I haven't actually stopped and watched to see if that's true)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27:27 am »

So you just get an email with the link for the Aplha or is there something else you need to do.I liked the style and the idea so i signed up, now i guess i should wait ^^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: [1] 2